Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spare tensioning screws for TIME ATAC Speciale 8 pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 03:43 PM
TheCharm 

Bikes: 2015 Surly Disc Trucker & 2011 Trek 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Good day -- Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but hoping for an assist.

I have a pair of TIME ATAC Speciale 8 pedals on my Disc Trucker. Two of the tensioning screws -- one on each pedal have backed themselves out and fallen out. The default amount of tension is too loose, and I'd like to get a quantity of these screws to replace the ones I've lost and to keep some on hand in case I lose more in the future.

TIME is owned by SRAM and I've scoured the spare parts pages on their website, and they don't seem to have these. The pedals have "grip screws" which they do have available, but not the tensioning screws. They are fairly small - use a 2.5mm hex wrench. I could take one out and measure with my micrometer, but I don't know much about thread pitch and all that.

I just wonder if anyone might have any ideas on how I can fulfill this dream of mine. I'm going to stop by my LBS, but given there are no part numbers for these things on SRAM's web pages, not sure if my LBS can help.

Any ideas appreciated.
Old 04-23-24, 04:58 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 888 Posts
If the other screws from your parts diagram are Metric, presume the screws you need are also Metric. Or SAE:SAE etc.
That only leaves 2-3 sizes that would match.
Stop by the hardware store and buy a couple of each.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-24-24, 07:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 754 Posts
Post a photo of the screws as if they are just standard metric screws most hardware stores will carry them. Some I've seen have special shapes and are proprietary so a visit to the bike shop may be needed and hope they have some spares laying around. You also might try contacting SRAM directly as they may offer to send you some even though not listed in their spares list.
Old 04-24-24, 08:47 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCharm
TIME is owned by SRAM and I've scoured the spare parts pages on their website, and they don't seem to have these. The pedals have "grip screws" which they do have available, but not the tensioning screws. They are fairly small - use a 2.5mm hex wrench. I could take one out and measure with my micrometer, but I don't know much about thread pitch and all that.
From what I can find online the tension screws are the same as the grip screws, looks like an M4 grub screw. The part number of those appears to be 710845879432
Old 04-27-24, 06:24 AM
TheCharm 

Originally Posted by grumpus
From what I can find online the tension screws are the same as the grip screws, looks like an M4 grub screw. The part number of those appears to be 710845879432
I’ve learned a little more since I posted this. The tension and grip screws are not the same size. But both types of screws come in the same bag under the same part number. The description of the part doesn’t specifically mention that both types of screw; it just describes it as grip screw kit.

I found this out by using a link at SRAM for the TIME pedals help desk. The respondent cleared this up for me AND offered to send me a supply at no charge. I thought that was very cool.

I’ll leave the part number here for future reference: 11.6718.000.007
Likes For TheCharm:
Old 04-30-24, 10:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2259 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 1,822 Posts
What I noticed is those screws not only have a tendency to fall out, but if you don't screw them in nearly all the way, they snag.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-08-24, 08:34 AM
TheCharm 

Originally Posted by TheCharm
I’ve learned a little more since I posted this. The tension and grip screws are not the same size. But both types of screws come in the same bag under the same part number. The description of the part doesn’t specifically mention that both types of screw; it just describes it as grip screw kit.

I found this out by using a link at SRAM for the TIME pedals help desk. The respondent cleared this up for me AND offered to send me a supply at no charge. I thought that was very cool.

I’ll leave the part number here for future reference: 11.6718.000.007

I'd like to give one final update here just for reference in case anyone having the same question may find this post.

This will be a bit self-deprecating; I'm an idiot.

The grip screws and the tensioning screws are EXACTLY the same screw. I wrongly asserted in the quoted post they were different sizes.

As promised, SRAM sent me a bag of 20 screws free of charge. They did, and when I noticed they came pre-installed with a dab of blue Loc-Tite, I assumed this was a bag of grip screws. It sort of made sense to me that the grip screws would have Loc-Tite as they are meant to be permanently fixed. I ASSumed that the tension screws wouldn't have Loc-Tite, as they sometimes require adjustment.

A few months back when I first noticed two tensioning screws missing, I went to my original packaging, which had a few spare screws with it, and went to install one. Here's what I think happened: I met some resistance from the Loc-Tite and I assumed the screw was too big and I didn't want risk damaging the threads, so I stopped what I was doing and only recently got around to searching for replacement. I just cemented in my mind that they were different screws and didn't want to believe differently.

It's OK to point and laugh at me.

But the problem is solved thanks to SRAM.

ALWAYS challenge your own assumptions.

Cheers!
Likes For TheCharm:
Old 05-08-24, 02:04 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 754 Posts
As a person who has never made a mistake like that myself, I applaud your honesty.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-08-24 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank: