Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Tension - which TM-1 reading?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke Tension - which TM-1 reading?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 04:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5834 Post(s)
Liked 2,671 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Okay, you just divulged that this is a tandem wheel. Is it a 48 spoke?

With high spoke counts you need to get the individual spoke tension on the minimum side so you don't overwhelm the rim total tension limit.
I disagree. Rim stress (spoke tension) limits aren't related to total load. They're about local stress at individual spoke holes which are pretty much independent of each other. OTOH the longitudinal (circular) compression limit of rims is staggering, and there's virtually no possibility of exceeding it.

So spoke count isn't a factor, except that with fewer holes, the span between them is greater, meaning more rim flex, and a need for more spoke elongation (tension) to compensate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-08-23, 05:35 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I disagree. Rim stress (spoke tension) limits aren't related to total load. They're about local stress at individual spoke holes which are pretty much independent of each other. OTOH the longitudinal (circular) compression limit of rims is staggering, and there's virtually no possibility of exceeding it.

So spoke count isn't a factor, except that with fewer holes, the span between them is greater, meaning more rim flex, and a need for more spoke elongation (tension) to compensate.
Strictly speaking, that is untrue. There is no such thing as no possibility of exceeding the limit because under high tension, one or some spokes/nipples will fail. Once the rim is under uneven tension,… well, you know the rest!
Old 12-08-23, 06:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Alan K
Strictly speaking, that is untrue. There is no such thing as no possibility of exceeding the limit because under high tension, one or some spokes/nipples will fail. Once the rim is under uneven tension,… well, you know the rest!
Context and sequence matter.

First of all the quoted statement was about rim compression vs. spoke hole load, and I stand by it. In fact, I might have been conservative in saying "virtually", because I doubt that it's at all possible to compressive overload a rim via spokes. The rim would fail at a spoke hole first.

As I said, sequence matters. If a rim were to taco after a few highly tensioned spokes failed, that wouldn't be considered a rim failure within the context at hand.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-08-23, 07:35 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Context does indeed matter. We all know that without even tension on spokes, rim in itself has virtually no strength.

The discussion in this thread is about how much tension is appropriate on spokes.
In my opinion, it not the best idea to go to the maximum tension at which a rim is rated.
I don’t know how cold it gets in your area but in my place, some days it gets 20 below 0F. Thermal expansion of metal, being a physical property, does not forgive anyone. And thermal expansion most decidedly works in the opposite direction equally well. I have seen new wheels laced by novice enthusiasts in the summer at or close to the maximum tension that end up with broken nipples in the winter in their garage.

The key to a strong wheel is even and appropriate tension on all spokes… I would say the more spokes the better but this will bring out strong reactions from those who have never had any issues 3 spokes. 😉
Old 12-08-23, 07:59 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,608 Times in 1,057 Posts

So you've never seen someone potato chip a rim with too much tension? Where have you been hiding?

Yes, total tension is very much a thing.

On the other hand, tension should be considered as total force on a whole system structure. There is only so much force a rim or a hub can handle. Surpassing that limit, and entire structure will become unstable or even dangerous as it may collapse without early warnings. Ask yourself, is it really worth getting it to the limit? What is the wheel’s main function anyways?
https://spokecalc.io/spoke-tension-t...tive-guide.php
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-09-23, 03:25 PM
FBinNY 

So you've never seen someone potato chip a rim with too much tension? Where have you been hiding?....
I don't know, maybe I hang out with a better class of wheel builder.

Seriously, I've been building wheels for over 50 years, and, yes, I've seen folks potato chip (I never liked the "taco" analogy) wheels more than a few times. Mostly newbs who get carried away when "stress relieving" and once or twice while in service. However, I've seen that at all tensions so, don't consider it related to excess tension.

FWIW- I learned wheel building in an era of light spokes and rims, and have NEVER understood why folks see the need for crazy high spoke tension. To me, their logic sounds comparable to parking cement trucks along a bridge span to make it stronger, So, as one who worries more about staying above minimum tension, I'm not as exposed to the issues of excess tension. When I see consequences of high tension it's generally immediate spoke hole failure, or premature stress cracking between the holes, and not the compressive failure you describe.

Consider-- the rim is laterally braced by the spokes and at a low potential point analogous to resting in the notch at the top of an "M". The rim can only move over the side and "chip" if a lateral force is applied. Increasing tension will not create that side force, so nothing will change, especially on high spoke wheels where the span between spokes is shorter. So I stand by my opinion that excess tension will lead to hole failure long before compressive failure is possible. (unless spoke tensions are so uneven that the bracing symmetry is lost).

Old 12-09-23, 03:41 PM
Kontact

I don't know, maybe I hang out with a better class of wheel builder.

Seriously, I've been building wheels for over 50 years, and, yes, I've seen folks potato chip (I never liked the "taco" analogy) wheels more than a few times. Mostly newbs who get carried away when "stress relieving" and once or twice while in service. However, I've seen that at all tensions so, don't consider it related to excess tension.

FWIW- I learned wheel building in an era of light spokes and rims, and have NEVER understood why folks see the need for crazy high spoke tension. To me, their logic sounds comparable to parking cement trucks along a bridge span to make it stronger, So, as one who worries more about staying above minimum tension, I'm not as exposed to the issues of excess tension. When I see consequences of high tension it's generally immediate spoke hole failure, or premature stress cracking between the holes, and not the compressive failure you describe.

Consider-- the rim is laterally braced by the spokes and at a low potential point analogous to resting in the notch at the top of an "M". The rim can only move over the side and "chip" if a lateral force is applied. Increasing tension will not create that side force, so nothing will change, especially on high spoke wheels where the span between spokes is shorter. So I stand by my opinion that excess tension will lead to hole failure long before compressive failure is possible. (unless spoke tensions are so uneven that the bracing symmetry is lost).
Here's the thing: I agree that high tensions aren't necessary. But what I'm saying is that the rim need a certain amount of tension to stay rigid, and not a lot more than that. When you put the same tension on 20 spokes as you put on 40 spokes, you have doubled the tension on the rim. Not only is there no reason for that, but it can exceed the rim's structure.

You learned to build wheels with very light rims and thin spokes, but 36 of them. I'll bet the tensions you used were nowhere near as high as what a 20 spoke rim requires. Those were uncommon even in the '90s with Rovals being so uncommon I have yet to see a pair of them.

This guy seems to share my view:
https://wheelfanatyk.com/blogs/blog/too-few-spokes

If you don't think total wheel tension is an important limit - fine. But you already said you don't see the need for excessive tension, and if you have more spokes you only need minimum tensions for them to do their job.
Old 12-09-23, 04:48 PM
FBinNY 

Here's the thing: I agree that high tensions aren't necessary. But what I'm saying is that the rim need a certain amount of tension to stay rigid, and not a lot more than that. When you put the same tension on 20 spokes as you put on 40 spokes, you have doubled the tension on the rim. Not only is there no reason for that, but it can exceed the rim's structure.

If you don't think total wheel tension is an important limit - fine. But you already said you don't see the need for excessive tension, ...
You and I agree on the basic thinking about tension vs. spoke count, and if you read my earlier posts here, you'll see that.

So no problem with the idea that fewer spokes generally want more tension, and more spokes want less, but our reasoning is different. We also disagree on the potential consequences of excess cumulative tension, but that's purely academic since we'd never run into the issue anyway.

The "problem" is that we're in the minority these days. I can't count how many times I've heard, "These will never hold up. Can't you make them tighter?" from referred clients.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-09-23, 08:55 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
thanks for your post. good points. so hard to know, so many ideas out there. one thing for sure is I will be checking this wheel after every ride for a while and then periodically from that point with the period being frequent! for sure the original tension on that wheel was way too high.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
As a clydesdale myself, most of the wheel failures I've seen come from spoke tension that's too low. Either the cyclic stress kills it at the head, or the low stress leads to a nipple coming unscrewed.

Now FB makes a good point, perhaps it's not ideal to tiptoe right at the edge of the tension specification of the rim. So I'll back off perhaps 10% from the max, and aim for that. But if a spoke or two goes high, even a TM notch above spec, I don't sweat it. I figure the safety factors and margins engineered into the rim should cover those exceedances.

How's that working out? Well, I've had a couple failures. One was hitting a ridge in a road (it was like a small curb) at speed. It looked like a tar stripe after an overnight rain. The other was when I dropped a suitcase on a bike in the back of a car. I can't really blame wheel build for either of those "failures," so I'll keep on with what I've been doing.
Old 12-09-23, 09:00 PM
BNB

thanks for the input. yes, it's a tandem bike. 36 spokes. I agree with you about pitch. Pitch might work for someone doing this often (though I'm skeptical) but would absolutely not work for me. Would be interesting to see an experiment on pitch (human ear) vs tool (non human).

Okay, you just divulged that this is a tandem wheel. Is it a 48 spoke?

With high spoke counts you need to get the individual spoke tension on the minimum side so you don't overwhelm the rim total tension limit.

You may need to decrease the front wheel tension before that rim also fails, rather than match its tension.

I do not agree with using pitch to build a wheel of unfamiliar format or by someone new to wheel building. Figure out the tension range for these spokes, put that range between 20 to 48 spokes and then match your spoke count to a place on that range.
Likes For BNB:
Old 12-09-23, 09:31 PM
BNB

In the event this is relevant: I got around to measuring the tension on the front wheel, 36 spokes, and it was the same as the original rear wheel, 36 spokes, from the builder; all spokes read with Park Tool TM-1 at 20 and 21 (approx 140-155 kgf from the posted graph in this thread - if I managed to read it right - exceeding the spec of the rim of 120kgf). The front wheel has not failed (yet). The rear wheel failed at the rim holes at the same tension with far more weight in the rear of the tandem. It might well be that front wheel will fail too over time so I will tension those spokes lower.

Test ride went well today with "new" rear wheel.
Likes For BNB:
Old 12-09-23, 09:31 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 673 Posts
based on all the above I believe I'd shoot for a reading of 14-17 on your tensiometer

the comments about not shooting for the max tension are worth noting. Especially on a tandem rear.

/markp
Old 12-10-23, 09:38 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@FBinNY - I get the max recommended tension for a rim. Do you have a rule of thumb for adequate spoke tension based on spoke count? Something like 90% of max for a 20 spoke, 85% for a 24, etc.
I suspect you may take rim cross section into account that may influence due to spoke spacing.
Old 12-10-23, 11:13 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SJX426
@FBinNY - I get the max recommended tension for a rim. Do you have a rule of thumb for adequate spoke tension based on spoke count? Something like 90% of max for a 20 spoke, 85% for a 24, etc.
I suspect you may take rim cross section into account that may influence due to spoke spacing.
I don't have a simple rule that will satisfy you.

It's primarily a function of gauge, since I want enough elongation to absorb rim flex without ever hitting zero tension. I start by looking at ALL factors and choosing rims and spokes accordingly. Generally I prefer lighter rims, but will use stiffer rims when reducing spoke count. That usually also means thicker spokes to keep total steel within range. In turn, that means higher tension.

So, it's a systems approach with every thing considered in context of the whole.

By example, we know that dished wheels call for greater tension on one side. So there's dilemma of maintaining minimum tension on one side without exceeding max. on the other. I compensate by using different gauges, giving me much more latitude in tension.

Old 12-10-23, 11:42 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 673 Posts
I'm with FBinNY on this one, there is no absolute rule on the right spoke tension for any rim, spoke count, spoke guage combination.

This is an area where experience and good judgement come into play

If you think you are going to get a finished wheel that is true, round, and properly dished with all spokes in a 3% range

then you have enough experience to not have to ask this question.

Again I would look for a spoke tension between 14 and 17 on your tensiometer and shoot for uniformity rather than max tension

especially on a wheel being built for use on a tandem

/markp
Old 12-10-23, 02:31 PM
FBinNY 

Some thought to consider when trying to understand how much tension is desirable. I'm not looking for an answer, just trying to help folks think about how spokes work.

1- we know that wheels go out of true, so what is that process, and what does it imply?

2- for those who've broken rear wheel spokes, which side sees more breaks? What does that imply about setting tension goals?

As I said, please don't answer, let folks stew on it a while.

Old 12-10-23, 06:56 PM
Kontact

Some thought to consider when trying to understand how much tension is desirable. I'm not looking for an answer, just trying to help folks think about how spokes work.

1- we know that wheels go out of true, so what is that process, and what does it imply?

2- for those who've broken rear wheel spokes, which side sees more breaks? What does that imply about setting tension goals?

As I said, please don't answer, let folks stew on it a while.
The problem with these questions is that they suggest tension is always related to breakage or going out of true, rather than to something like elbow seating, nipple lubrication, etc.
Old 12-10-23, 07:33 PM
FBinNY 

The problem with these questions is that they suggest tension is always related to breakage or going out of true, rather than to something like elbow seating, nipple lubrication, etc.
Not at all, it's tabula rasa.

I'm inviting people to THINK rather than.simply relying on what someone tells (or has told) them.

I don't know why you assume they'll ignore factors other than tension.

In any case, I'm a believer in the Socratic Method. I believe that the insights folks might glean through thinking and analyzing lead to greater understanding vs. simply absorbing what they're told.

But, I'm happy to see what happens when folks compare what they believe with what they observe.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-25-23 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-17-23, 08:25 PM
jsallen
jsallen

Bikes: Severl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have a simple rule that will satisfy you.

By example, we know that dished wheels call for greater tension on one side. So there's dilemma of maintaining minimum tension on one side without exceeding max. on the other. I compensate by using different gauges, giving me much more latitude in tension.

Yes. And it isn't only example: it's physics. The spoking on each side must pull the rim toward its side equally, and the lower the angle, the tighter the spokes must be. Spoke gauge in proportion to tension on the two sides of a dished wheel results in approximately proportional reduction in tension due to all loads -- radial (weight), lateral and torque. And so also, the same change in length, and that the bottom of the wheel does not flex sideways under radial load. If spoke gauge is proportional, the musical pitch of the spokes on both sides of the wheel will be the same. These issues are addressed at https://sheldonbrown.com/spoke-pitch.html..
Old 12-17-23, 08:46 PM
jsallen
jsallen

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
When you last visited the Grand Canyon, did you consistently walk to the very edge of the cliffs?

The rim's published limit is 120kgf, WHY would you opt to shoot for that, leaving ZERO margin for error? Doubly so since the prior rim clearly showed it failed from excess tension. So, what do you hope to gain by bringing tensions up to the rim's absolute limit?
I wonder how this is measured. It may vary from one manufacturer to another Iis it the maximum loads which the rim can withstand, or the recommended tension when the wheel is no under load, and if so, based on what assumptions? It is well-known that weight load decreases tension. however lateral and torque loads increase it on one side of the wheel -- though at the same place weight load is decreasing it. A mathematical analysis of this is possible, but I don't know of any. In The Bicycle Wheel, Jobst Brandt only examines each independently, and the graph he shows of right-and left-side spoke tension under lateral load in a dished wheel is strangely incorrect because it shows spokes going into compression. Much better computational tools are available now, and an analysis using them would be interesting indeed.
Old 12-17-23, 08:54 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by jsallen
I wonder how this is measured. It may vary from one manufacturer to another Iis it the maximum loads which the rim can withstand, or the recommended tension when the wheel is no under load, and if so, based on what assumptions? ....
It's actually very simple.

ANY spec must conform to something comparable to the "Four corners rule". Meaning that it can and will be measured under known and logically applied conditions.

So the max tension specs for a rim is exactly that ---- the maximum spoke hole load when and as built. Any other consideration would depend on assumptions and would therefore be meaningless.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-17-23 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-17-23, 09:48 PM
jsallen
jsallen

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Any other consideration could be based on an understanding of how much spoke tension can increase in normal use. This would require the analysis that I am not aware has been done. Wheels are subject to stresses din use which they do not experience on the truing stand!
Old 12-17-23, 10:19 PM
FBinNY 

Any other consideration could be based on an understanding of how much spoke tension can increase in normal use. This would require the analysis that I am not aware has been done. Wheels are subject to stresses din use which they do not experience on the truing stand!
Not relevant to the spec.

I agree that rim makers have to consider all kinds of load factors, but that's THEIR job. When they publish a spec it's just what it says it is, no more, no less.

In this case, it's a Maximum tension limit. Not a suggested ideal tension, payload limit, suggested spoke gauge, etc.

There are also other implied considerations that would fall under "suitability for purpose", ie. a 700c rim marketed as a road rim may not be suitable for MTB, while one sold for that purpose would be expected to be robust enough for that.

There's also the builder's responsibility for making smart choices factoring purpose, right weight, and objectives, ie. road racing, touring, utility, etc.
Old 12-24-23, 08:59 PM
jsallen
jsallen

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Sheldon Brown once built a wheel with 72 spokes for a heavy friend. It worked. Aside from that, the way to avoid spoke-hole damage is to use thinner spokes, not to use thick spokes at less than their optimum tension. The thinner spoke will retain better control of the rim due to their being able to shorten more while remaining under tension.
Old 12-25-23, 01:11 PM
Kontact

In use, spoke tension does not go up, it goes down as the wheel touches the ground and the rim momentarily flattens out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.