Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Padded shorts questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Padded shorts questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 01:30 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Padded shorts questions

My question is about the amount of padding in shorts. I'm currently using cheap padded liner shorts by Mt Borah and they work fair enough. As my rides lengthen, up to 40 m last weekend my saddle on my Secteur which has been ok before starts to get uncomfortably hard around 35m and doesn't let up no matter how much I shift my position. I haven't had any chaffing at all nor any numbness. I know butt pain is part of the deal but my specific question before I start putting bigger bucks into the new saddle crapshoot is can you offset the pain longer with more padding. I'm looking at Aerotech designs who offer shorts from $25 with a few millimeters of chamois to $40 with around 7mm and $55 with 12mm under the sitbones. I'm tempted to go for the $50 ones with 10mm. Is there a point as in saddles where too much padding doesn't work as well, for shorts, and how about Aerotech's shorts in general? I like the fact that the more expensive and thicker padded ones are made in USA.
I have no goals to race, am 62 with just a few months into road biking, 5'11 150lbs. I just want to be able to eventually do a century and be as comfortable as possible.
Old 09-13-12, 01:32 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good shorts start around $80 US. Good bibs around $100.
Old 09-13-12, 01:37 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
A properly fit bike, and saddle appropriate to your use & body, should not cause discomfort.

Bike shorts are not padded to give you more cushion. They are padded to wick sweat away. Sweat + heat = good environment for bacteria, which can cause saddle sores.

A Secteur should soak up quite a bit of road buzz. It should be a fairly comfortable bike.

I'd start by talking to the shop you got the bike at, and have them double-check your fit and saddle. You might just need a wider saddle; some of the shops that sell Specialized will have their "saddle fit system" thing, which can help figure out the proper width saddle.
Old 09-13-12, 01:42 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Latif
I know butt pain is part of the deal
Not really. The bulk of your weight should be on your ischium, not your butt.
Old 09-13-12, 01:53 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 modern chamois pretty much only wick away sweat and keep you from chafing down there; they are not really designed to cushion at all except for maybe a few of the versions that incorporate gel pads and even that is very little cushioning.

If you have only been riding a few months and are slowly increasing your longest ride, it can take awhile to condition your butt, believe it or not. Some people will take an extended time off the bike and find that their butt is not comfortable when they get back in the saddle. Try to make sure you have a decent bike fit and find a saddle that works for you (different posteriors prefer different saddles; what works for me might not work for you), use decent shorts/bibs, build up your mileage slowly, and try to ride at least a little every day or as often as possible. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 09-13-12, 02:29 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BustaQuad
Good shorts start around $80 US.
Depends on what once considers acceptable. My favorite and most comfortable shorts are often on sale at Nashbar for between $20 and $30. I'm sure I would love a $100 pair of Pearl Izumi shorts, but when I can buy 4 pairs that I am very happy with for that money...
Old 09-13-12, 02:29 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I buy all my stuff when it goes on sales. I have four pair of the top of the line Canari shorts that I bought from the Canari sale for $25.00 each. They were part of a cancelled order for a bike shop on the East Coast.

I love the pad in these shorts. What I like is a really dense pad that does not collapse when it you sit on it. From what I have read, Aerotech makes good stuff. I would buy their Top Shelf shorts which seem to have a dense pad.

By the way, I do not believe that you need to pay $80 to get a good pair of shorts. My $25.00 Canari shorts are much better than my $100 Pearl Izumi shorts which I now only use on the trainer.
Old 09-13-12, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
  • I started with cheap "gel" shorts. They were OK
  • I tried MTB shorts with a MTB removeable liner but they were bulky and not comfortable in any way. I kept the shorts and tossed the liners.
  • Then I got better road cycling shorts with legit liners. They also had longer legs and a nice design and I didn't mind being seen in public with them. They were also much better for long rides, (really rides of any length). But after a while I started disliking the thick liner. I forget why, if it was being on the bike or walking around in them.
  • Now I use trishorts which have a thin liner, they are very comfortable. I had to really search for some with a long legs and a higher waist than most trishorts which are usually like little bathing suits.
  • I also installed a Brooks B17 saddle which really is more comfotable and not a crap shoot.
  • I feel like I have a great combination with the Zoot 9" Trishorts and the Brooks saddle.
Old 09-13-12, 02:39 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
I've used Voler's Elite FS bib shorts and Aerotech's Top Shelf bib Shorts (all for under $60) on centuries and have never had any issues. Nalini, LG and others have had no issues as well. I don't think that pain is going to be alleviated by bib shorts and the percieved price commensurate with relief. I believe yours is a saddle and time on the saddle issue.
I am also using a Specialized Toupe Team saddle which absolutely has no padding.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 09-13-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 02:46 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Depends on what once considers acceptable.
I didn't say acceptable, I said good.
Old 09-13-12, 02:59 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 88 Posts
Good shorts start around $80 US. Good bibs around $100.
Not true in my experience either. Nor in the experience of those that have been cycling for years without cycling shorts. Cycling shorts enhance my comfort on the bike but they are by no means necessary and I have yet to spend more than $35 on a pair. At this point I think you need to define "good" in objective terms which I doubt you can do.
Old 09-13-12, 03:11 PM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Nor in the experience of those that have been cycling for years without cycling shorts.
Freds.Don't.Count
Old 09-13-12, 03:35 PM
J45oN
ADDICT

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy5 2006 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two pairs now that i bought in the last 2 weeks since I bought my road bike. I bought a pair of mtb shorts and didnt realize they werent the cool thing to wear. 60$ on mtb shorts. Went back monday this week and bought an actual pair of road bike shorts, 110$. Yes I support my LBS, rip off or not they feel amazing to say the least. Both pairs are Bellweather brand. Both pairs (im sure every pair will) make me feel like im wearing a diaper. Or a big maxie pad. not that i know what they feel like. kthxbye
Old 09-13-12, 03:39 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 88 Posts
Freds.Don't.Count
Brilliant answer.
Old 09-13-12, 03:59 PM
slowchick

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a pair of specialized shorts from my LBS and they made a huge difference for me. Now I am limited by endurance rather then my rear end.
Old 09-13-12, 04:33 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Not true in my experience either. Nor in the experience of those that have been cycling for years without cycling shorts. Cycling shorts enhance my comfort on the bike but they are by no means necessary and I have yet to spend more than $35 on a pair. At this point I think you need to define "good" in objective terms which I doubt you can do.
If you've never spent more than $35 on good bibs, then you don't really have a qualified opinion on higher end products.
Old 09-13-12, 07:22 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
If you've never spent more than $35 on good bibs, then you don't really have a qualified opinion on higher end products.
The expensive shorts and bibs are certainly worth the money, however you don't HAVE to spend $80 or more on shorts. What I had a issue with was the implication that the op HAS to spend $80+.

I also know plenty of folks that don't wear lycra and most of them are anything but Freds.

Last edited by Yo Spiff; 09-14-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 10:52 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugoi shorts!
Old 09-13-12, 11:06 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've had good luck with Aerotechdesigns shorts for rides up to 100K - the model I wear can be had for $45 or so. For anything longer I'll wear my Giordana bibs.
Old 09-13-12, 11:13 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Pearl shorts, just not the price, I look for sales. I like the Canari as well, but the fabric is a bit thinner than I would prefer.
Old 09-13-12, 11:18 PM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently started wearing Aero Tech Cargo shorts. Felt a little odd at first with the shorts inside the shorts. However, I've been on several 40 mile plus rides with them and have been satisfied.
Old 09-14-12, 08:30 AM
Busta Quad
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloswithac
Sugoi shorts!
+1 On their Evolution shorts. Just bought two more.
Old 09-14-12, 09:00 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any company mass produces cycling bib shorts with a minimal tri like chamois?
Old 09-14-12, 09:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
Any company mass produces cycling bib shorts with a minimal tri like chamois?
Voler and Zoot come to mind.
Old 09-14-12, 09:25 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3409 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,902 Posts
Originally Posted by Latif
Is there a point as in saddles where too much padding doesn't work as well...
Hell, yes!!!
As others have pointed out, the chamois is there to prevent chafing, not to provide padding. Think about it. If you weigh 180#, you can have up to 90# at a time on each sit bone. Do you think stupid-soft padding that can be pinched flat between thumb and forefinger will actually make any difference? All that padding can do is bulge up and put pressure on your soft parts and cause abrasion. I have a pair of cool-weather tights that I just removed the chamois from because it was bulging up and pinching the family jewels. I now use Andiamo cycling underwear with them.

My favorite shorts right now are Aerotech "Pro" shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.