Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Medici 1980's?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Medici 1980's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 05:12 PM
racso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Medici 1980's?

Hello everyone,

I bought a Medici "Camino Real" a couple of days ago for $350, full Campagnolo in very good/near mint condition. I think I scored a good deal but I would like to know your opinion on this one, since this is the first time that I own a Medici. I know the whole Masi story behind the brand, but I do not know more than that, and I would like to know how they where regarded at the time.

I own a 1991 Bianchi Campione del mondo and a swiss made Allegro as well with full Campy on both of them, I rode the Medici yesterday and I must say it feels very different that the previous two. I was quite impressed because it's much more lighter than my Bianchi and it responds very fast, although the Bianchi is better for descending the Medici is not bad at all and it climbs amazing. So overall I am very happy with and I know that's what counts, but still I wanted to know a bit more on Medici's and if it was a good deal $$$.

I got it as it is, the only thing that I added where my Cinelli water bottles and changed the brake cables/bar tape to white, they came in black.

Thanks guys!

Components:
Frame/Fork: Medici Camino Real with Campagnolo dropouts
Handlebars: Modolo Brevettato
Brake levers: Campagnolo ¿Nuovo Record?
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo ¿Model?
Stem: Cinelli
Headset: Campagnolo
Seat: San Marco
Seatpost: Campagnolo C-Record Aero
Crankset: Campagnolo C-Record
Bottom Braket: Campagnolo C-Record
Derrailleurs: Campagnolo Victory
Wheelset: Matrix ISO C-II laced to Mavic Hubs
Tires: Continental

Attached Images
Old 01-18-13, 06:29 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Camino Real was the budget name below the Pro-Strada, later came the El Dorado, even cheaper, later 80's for yours.

Decent price, get your use out of it, they do not seem to appreciate.
To use a poor pun, the bikes were considered without conviction at the time.

At some point the Medici name was no longer possible or viable to use, so Mike And Gian morphed into Simonetti and later Simo Cycles.
Mike got is trouble with the law, and that pretty much closed up the business.
Old 01-18-13, 06:30 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 2,553 Times in 1,067 Posts
The concensus around here seems to be that they are under-appreciated. Some members seem to like them a lot.

Did you get a good deal? Assuming the frame is sound and straight, and you want it as a rider and not to flip, I'd say you did great.
Old 01-18-13, 06:35 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Looks to be outfitted w/ mostly Campy Chorus parts. At 350 you can't go wrong. Medici made a fine bike, although I don't know too much about a Camino Real model...?
Old 01-19-13, 12:59 AM
racso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah I definitely plan on riding in, I don't want it to stay hanging on a wall or inside a garage. I will take to a 60 mile spin tomorrow to see how it responds but it seems to be a really nice bike. It's very funny because next day that I got the Medici my friend got a Ciocc for $80 very close to my house, so it was most definitely not the time for me to own a Ciocc hahahaha.

So you say it's mostly Campy Chorus, is it a good group? I have always used Nuovo Record and Super Record so I have no previous experience with Chorus...

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-13, 01:14 AM
candid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is thread in C&V name Medici Riders. Join it to share with others. I have a Pro Strada Medici.
Old 01-19-13, 07:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2942 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,503 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Looks to be outfitted w/ mostly Campy Chorus parts. At 350 you can't go wrong. Medici made a fine bike, although I don't know too much about a Camino Real model...?
Mostly? All I see is cranks, maybe the DP calipers but I can't say for sure.

Originally Posted by racso
So you say it's mostly Campy Chorus, is it a good group? I have always used Nuovo Record and Super Record so I have no previous experience with Chorus...

Thanks in advance!
It looks like Chorus crank, and either Victory/Triomphe derailleurs, not enough detail, the brake levers could be Vic/Tri but the calipers are mid '90s and later. Some cloeup pics will tell more.

I never had a chance to ride one of these but I agree with Bikingshearer, that these are under appreciated. The ones I have all look wonderful and seem to have been built with great care and skill. I almost bought one of these back in Oct but seller did not know the frame size (I forgot may tape and why he went to a swapp with 12+ bikes and no tape is a mystery) for certain, the angles or the tube set. All he knew was it was custom built for a So and SO and racer of blah blah blah area.

Yours looks nice and should be a great rider. You won't notice a huge difference in operation or performance betewwn these Vic?Tri deraillleurs than your Super Rec.

These look like the early Record (Corse or C had been dropped by '92ish) daul pivots, the HS could be a steel Nuovo Record, shifters are Victory

A '91 Campion Del Mondo? Never saw one of those.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-19-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-19-13, 12:37 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Mostly? All I see is cranks, maybe the DP calipers but I can't say for sure.
Seat Post...

Derailleurs ~ a far cry from Chorus!
Old 01-19-13, 12:54 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 2,395 Times in 895 Posts
Nice bike and a great price.

I've read on the internet that a "damn good" seller once sold a Medici for $720!
Old 01-19-13, 01:03 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Nice bike and a great price.

I've read on the internet that a "damn good" seller once sold a Medici for $720!
I read the same article I think.

@op Nice bicycle!