Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Yellowstone - hike & bike + permits

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 09:05 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

[for fairly obvious reasons, our plan to travel to Tbilisi is postponed indefinitely so we are reactivating plan B which is, in a nutshell, GDMBR + Seattle]

NPS's page on bicycles in Yellowstone indicates the developed campgrounds offer hike & bike sites. Not entirely clear if these sites are to be reserved in advance or not (I'd guess not -- you show up and rangers tell you where to pitch your tent, Yellowstone being what it is, advanced reservations are perhaps required.

Anyhow, comments/suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-10-22, 10:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
[for fairly obvious reasons, our plan to travel to Tbilisi is postponed indefinitely so we are reactivating plan B which is, in a nutshell, GDMBR + Seattle]

NPS's page on bicycles in Yellowstone indicates the developed campgrounds offer hike & bike sites. Not entirely clear if these sites are to be reserved in advance or not (I'd guess not -- you show up and rangers tell you where to pitch your tent, Yellowstone being what it is, advanced reservations are perhaps required.

Anyhow, comments/suggestions appreciated.
Could be different in Yellowstone, but I camped in Hiker Biker sites in Glacier (Apgar and Sprague) ten years ago.

At Glacier, you show up, figure out which of many sites in the campground is the correct site, set up your tent and try to do so in a way that others have room too if more arrive. Fee is per person instead of per party. There is a steel bear box to put your food in because you did not bring your car with a trunk.

I do not know if Yellowstone requires reservations to bring a car into the park or not, some national parks in USA are now requiring people to enter with their car and the specified time and date of their permit. But if you can park outside the park you should be able to avoid that permit. I suggest you confirm this on their website. You likely have to pay a fee per person to enter but that is not the camping fee. I do not recall if I had to use cash to pay in Glacier for the camping fee or not, it would be a good idea to have correct change if you need to pay cash.

Hiker Biker site in Glacier at Sprague in photo.

They had rectangular pads they wanted the tents set up in where I was, might be the same in Yellowstone.

At Glacier, only a few campgrounds had Hiker Biker sites, so make sure you know which ones offer that.

Others might comment on whether or not you might want a bear spray canister or not. If I recall, you can have that in Canada if it is labeled bear spray, but if it is labeled pepper spray that is a weapon in Canada, but that was ten years ago when I checked. If you get some, you might want to check and see if it is legal to take it home.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-10-22, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
AKAIK, you cannot reserve the hiker-biker sites.

"A limited number of campsites are held for hikers and bicyclists each day at all campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park and Slough Creek. Check the availability of these sites at the campgrounds themselves."

But I don't believe that prevents you from reserving a "regular" site ahead of time. Considering the likely crowds again this year, I would seriously consider reserving just to be sure, but that's how I am.

When I rode through Yellowstone 22 years ago it was less crowded than it is today. I stopped at the reservation place before entering the park from W. Yellowstone and the agent wouldn't even let me make reservations. The first night at Maddison was fine. Only one other cyclist there. The second night at Grant Village I was given a regular site. Returned from the evening ranger presentation to find that the company running the campground had put some other people in my site along with me. They were teenage workers in the park who must have had some time off, and they were most annoying, making noise late at night. Finally had to threaten to get security. Woke up early the next morning to find that they had left trash, including empty beverage containers, in the fire ring. Not smart in bear country.

The point being is that you might be better off with a sure thing.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-10-22 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-10-22, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Could be different in Yellowstone, but I camped in Hiker Biker sites in Glacier (Apgar and Sprague) ten years ago.
I have spent a total of 8 nights at Sprague Creek during 4 trips into the park. Really like the place, especially since you can easily walk or ride to the lodge. The last time I was there (2017) the host's wife gave me four oatmeal raisin cookies right out of the trailer oven.
Old 03-10-22, 01:50 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
(Come on, folks - let's keep it about Yellowstone since that's what the OP requested??)

I have lived in Wyoming since 1990 and have cycled every mile of Yellowstone over dozens of trips.
Yellowstone has excellent hiker/biker campsites at nearly all of its campgrounds.
The only two without are Slough Creek which is not on any through bike route and Fishing Bridge which is for RVs only.

There are no reservation for hiker/biker campsites - - but - -
In all of my many bike trips, I have never been turned away.
The one time the hiker/biker site was full, the ranger squeezed me in.
(And that was at Norris - where the definition of "Hiker" was 100 feet from your car.)
The 3 campgrounds on the TransAm - Lewis Lake, Grant VIllage, and Madison have never been an issue.

However -
I suggest riding a bigger counter-clockwise loop northbound (cockwise southbound)
From West Thumb to Lake to Canyon to Norris to Madison.
You can always do a light out-and-back from Madison to Old Faithful.
The three additional campground on this loop are Bridge Bay, Canyon, and Norris.
(Norris may still be closed during 2022)

Canyon is an amazing place to bike camp -
With showers, laundry, camp store, restaurant and visitors center.
And the hiking in the Canyon area is spectacular.

Unless it's July 4th weekend or Labor Day, I wouldn't be too worried.
And even then, they'll probably fit you in.
They have been accommodating cyclists for almost 50 years.

* Camp hosts are not park service employees and may not know about NPS hiker/biker policies.
If you do get pushback from a camp host (from Georgia) ask them - nicely - to verify with a ranger.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 03-10-22, 02:48 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
That big White Pine looks familiar.

My wife and I discussed riding around the Yellowstone area for this summer, but decided against it. Traffic,while heavy, was manageable several years ago, but we heard that it is really heavy now. This must be a side trip from the GDMBR. It is worth the time, and we found it easier and more enjoyable riding through the park, than it is driving through. We could stop to take pictures when and where we wanted.

Canyon Campground, hike/biker site,Yellowstone.

The process was registering , and go find a spot.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-10-22 at 04:30 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 03-22-22, 06:50 PM
didoso

Bikes: Surly Troll, Surly CrossxCheck, Surly Pugsley, Lemond Zurich, Bacchetta Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stayed in Yellowstone for 8 days last Summer while on tour because it was so easy to camp there despite the park being packed. Hiker/Biker sites were always available and they charged only $10-$12. They could fill up if a large group travelling together stayed there, but my impression was that they would always find room for you. Even though it was my first time visiting Yellowstone, my favorite part was the other bicycle tourers I met and camped with while there.
Likes For didoso:
Old 03-23-22, 08:18 AM
gauvins

Thanks everyone for your input. Plans are firming up.
Old 03-24-22, 02:40 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
As I noted in your other thread the rules in Yellowstone are changing. I think ALL campgrounds will be reservation only this year. So check because it is now different than 10 years ago.
Old 03-25-22, 08:39 AM
gauvins

Mike_Kelly Just received a reply from NPS
A limited number of campsites are held for hikers and bicyclists each day at all campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park and Slough Creek. These sites are not advertised, you will need to check in with the camp host when you arrive at the campground.
That is the good news. The not so great bit was the comment that the ranger advises against riding in the park
There is little to no shoulder on the roads and a lot of traffic, including many folks in rental RVs who have never driven something that large
(bummer)
Old 03-25-22, 09:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
The not so great bit was the comment that the ranger advises against riding in the park
There is little to no shoulder on the roads and a lot of traffic, including many folks in rental RVs who have never driven something that large.
It has always been that way at least in recent decades. Yes traffic is worse, but there have been the same challenges for a long time. I don't want to minimize that but people have been dealing with it for a long time. Try to ride days and times of day when traffic is light is my advice. Doing that goes a long way toward minimizing the problem.
Old 03-25-22, 11:25 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Gauvins -
I have riden every mile of legal road in Yellowstone.
The first time I rode in Yellowstone was in 1987.
Guess what? That's what they said back then, too.

I live in Wyoming. I have been a constant thorn in their side.
A couple of years ago they did a 300-page transportation report.
They didn't mention bicycles once. And I let them know.

Let's be honest - the RV lobby has more pull than the cycling lobby.
Someone who drops $350,000 on a RV wants to take it to Yellowstone.
So, yes, there are paved pull-outs that accommodate RVS -
And pull-thru parking and campground loops all geared to RVs.
Then they say, "Oh, it's too environmentally fragile to accommodate bicycles."

I have written here many times about ways to tour Yellowstone successfully.
The key is to start super early in the morning. Maybe a little evening riding, too.
Very, very few RVs, buses, or family vans are out that early.
In the evening, I have never had problems getting a hiker/biker spot.
Different, perhaps, if you are in a group of 12 to 15.

Also, I would strongly rec going counter-clockwise in a bigger loop -
From Madison to Norris to Canyon to Lake to West Thumb.
Much of this loop has been rebuilt over the past 25 years.
From West Yellowstone to Canyon there are small shoulders.
Also from Lake to West Thumb and just past Grant Village.

From Canyon to Lake the road has no shoulder.
Hayden Valley is the Serengeti of America.
If you leave Canyon super early you will see more wildlife.
Plus, people are driving slowly and stopping all the time anyhow.

The South Entrance Rd south of Grant Village is narrow.
Fortunately, it is majorly downhill heading south.
If you stay at either Grant Village or Lewis Lake -
Then you can head out early with almost no traffic leaving the park.
(Nearly everyone is heading in.)

* Virginia Cascades Rd just to the east of Norris is one-way with lttle traffic.
Also Gull Point Rd just past Lake is the old road and almost empty.
Neither is very long, but thry let you experience a 1950s park.

>> Private message me and I can given you more info.

Pic - West Thumb on Yellowstone Lake

Old 03-25-22, 11:27 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

PS - Pic of West Thumb - 6 a.m.- entire place to ourselves.