Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

'Bents on MUPs?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

'Bents on MUPs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 04:53 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
'Bents on MUPs?

If you ride on a MUP, how to you deal with all of the 'traffic'? I use the local MUP system as part of my commute, and I would be leery of taking a bent on some sections due to all of the people around- the power walkers, the roadie wannabe's, dog walkers, the "it's a nice day, I think I'll go for a walk- while listening to my iPod. And I think to be safe, I'll walk right down the middle" types...
Old 05-05-11, 05:22 PM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
If you ride on a MUP, how to you deal with all of the 'traffic'? I use the local MUP system as part of my commute, and I would be leery of taking a bent on some sections due to all of the people around- the power walkers, the roadie wannabe's, dog walkers, the "it's a nice day, I think I'll go for a walk- while listening to my iPod. And I think to be safe, I'll walk right down the middle" types...
I ride about 140 miles a week on MUT's. The number of hassles I have on a MUT, compared to what I would be typically dealing with riding on the road where I live , are minuscule. I have about 12 years of riding bent bikes, and almost a year riding a recumbent trike, and no real problems or close calls. I don't try to ride at TDF speeds when it is crowded, use an "on your left" or Incredibell when appropriate, and no real issues. Now if you are out for speeds that you could ride on the road, then the MUT is probably not the place for someone to be.
Old 05-05-11, 06:50 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My only issue with riding a lowracer on a MUP was a DF rider cornering wide into me because I was concealed behind a low shrub as I approached the corner. No major damage done and I don't blame him as I was out of sight so going fast around an apparently clear corner was a reasonable thing for him to do.

I find riding any bike on a MUP, generally speaking, more dangerous than riding on the road in "normal" traffic conditions and I'd far rather ride on the road in a bike lane than a MUP.
Old 05-05-11, 07:17 PM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUPs are generally used for recreational purposes. If you plan on going over 10-12 mph, it is far safer for you to be riding on the road.
Old 05-05-11, 07:56 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
MUPs around here are for bikes to get around town not for recreation. Trouble is the dog walkers and rollerbladers who end up on the MUP don't mix well with bike commuters.
Old 05-05-11, 08:03 PM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
MUPs around here are for bikes to get around town not for recreation. Trouble is the dog walkers and rollerbladers who end up on the MUP don't mix well with bike commuters.
Then wouldnt they be called SUPs (single use paths). By definition "multi use" means.... well, multi use.
Old 05-05-11, 11:38 PM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride my tadpole trike on the MUP all the time. Of course I'm not going super fast either, so I never have any problems. I see recumbents on the MUP every time I'm on it. Today I saw three tadpole trikes, including a hot pink Catrike with electric assist that scared the crap out of me when it passed me on the right at high speed (I was riding my hybrid).
Old 05-06-11, 05:43 AM
atom bomb
low and laid back

Bikes: recumbent trikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobsk8
... I don't try to ride at TDF speeds when it is crowded, use an "on your left" or Incredibell when appropriate, and no real issues. ....
I ride on MUPs a lot. I find it much safer to pass where there's space, without a verbal or bell warning. My experience has been that most of the time, "on your left" or my ringing bell cause momentary panic, and the walker/jogger steps into my path while turning around to see what's coming. Or if two are walking, one moves to the left, the other to the right. People just don't have an automatic, uniform response to the bell or "on your left". So my practice is to pass silently where the space is. If there's no space... it's usually a lot of bell ringing, and then coming to a stop, until there is space.
Old 05-06-11, 06:03 AM
Bobsk8

Bikes: Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atom bomb
I ride on MUPs a lot. I find it much safer to pass where there's space, without a verbal or bell warning. My experience has been that most of the time, "on your left" or my ringing bell cause momentary panic, and the walker/jogger steps into my path while turning around to see what's coming. Or if two are walking, one moves to the left, the other to the right. People just don't have an automatic, uniform response to the bell or "on your left". So my practice is to pass silently where the space is. If there's no space... it's usually a lot of bell ringing, and then coming to a stop, until there is space.

I find the "ding" of the Incredibell seems to produce the desired effect about 95% of the time, and the walkers will move to the right. I have seen other riders using loud horns, on MUPs, and that is what seems to cause the panic reaction.
Old 05-06-11, 07:19 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I find the "ding" of the Incredibell seems to produce the desired effect about 95% of the time, and the walkers will move to the right. I have seen other riders using loud horns, on MUPs, and that is what seems to cause the panic reaction.
Same here, except it's much, much closer to 100% success. I ring from a ways back. If no reaction, I ring again, then start ringing constantly until they acknowledge.

There's a guy who rides a tadpole bent on the MUP and walks two large dogs, one on each side, taking up the whole width almost. The first time I passed him (going opposite direction) was sketchy, but I realized the dogs are perfectly well behaved and the bent guy does, in fact, move to the right as much as he can to make room.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 05-06-11, 08:17 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mymojo
Then wouldnt they be called SUPs (single use paths). By definition "multi use" means.... well, multi use.
They aren't called MUPs - I've never heard a bike path in Canada called a MUP, but I'm not about to spend time arguing the terminology every time the subject comes up. Despite the fact it's a bike route as soon as you pave a non-vehicle trail dog walkers, roller bladers, etc.. come out and use it. Just like I encounter skateboarders, joggers, etc.. in the bike lanes on streets. I've never heard on street bike lanes being called MULs - multi-use lanes.

I'm not against sharing, but these trails/paths are 10-20kms+ long to connect bike commuters from out lying neighborhoods with the city core. To effectively commute from that distance out you need to be riding in the 20kph range which is hard to do when you are dodging those invisible leashes, moms who want to walk 4 abreast while pushing their kidlets, etc.. I can't count the number of times I get dirty looks/remarks from peds about me passing too close to them with my bike. They don't seem to get that the fact their whole family is holding hands while walking on the bike path only leaves me a small window to pass in.

We've now started to see those electric mopeds on the bike paths. They go as fast as an experienced cyclist, but weigh 75-100lbs more and are operated by anyone with a thumb. I can see this will end up causing even more conflicts.
Old 05-06-11, 08:26 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 - most of my miles are on MUPs, and all I have is the incredibell - bout 99% no issues, but when I do have an issue, it's a real cluster~!
Old 05-06-11, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have ridden thousands of miles on our local MUP. At least 10,000 has been on a bent. I see no more problem riding a bent than ridings a DF.
Old 05-06-11, 01:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
They aren't called MUPs - I've never heard a bike path in Canada called a MUP,
In the US, they're usually called a 'trail' or a 'path,' but MUP is the generic term. Sometimes there are actual bike paths for wheeled thingies like bikes or roller blades, and an adjacent path designated for pedestrians. But usually they're all rolled into one. There are speed limits on most MUPs, somewhere between 6 and 12 mph. Just that fact alone is enough to make me avoid them; the only time I do 12 mph is in a parking lot or a really steep hill. If congestion isn't enough of an additional reason to avoid them, there's also the fact that pedestrians don't understand the concept of 'rules of the road.' Like squirrels, they are unpredictable, and unfortunately, they have the right-of-way over bikes - so if you hit one, it's ALWAYS your fault.
Old 05-06-11, 01:14 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The speed limit on ours is 15 mph. I agree about the pedestrians. They get on my nerves bigtime, especially when they walk 5-7 abreast, taking up the whole trail. Even the ones without headphones on sometimes don't acknowledge my bell until I'm almost up their ass!
Old 05-06-11, 01:52 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to what Ajenkins said. And for that reason I tend to not use my Bent on a MUP, preferring roads. I just don't feel my maneuvering ability while on my bent is such that I can dodge the pedestrians and dog's on or off leash well enough on a MUP
Old 05-06-11, 08:17 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
I ride my tadpole trike on the MUP all the time. Of course I'm not going super fast either, so I never have any problems. I see recumbents on the MUP every time I'm on it. Today I saw three tadpole trikes, including a hot pink Catrike with electric assist that scared the crap out of me when it passed me on the right at high speed (I was riding my hybrid).
Was it off-roading when it passed you or were you riding on the wrong side of the road?
Old 05-07-11, 03:44 AM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by no1mad
Was it off-roading when it passed you or were you riding on the wrong side of the road?
I am not a salmon. It was off-roading.
Old 05-07-11, 05:43 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We use the MUT, (Multi-Purpose Trail) a lot as it's just 1 block from the apt. Yes, we do have those days when it's really crowded and a PIA but the road it follows is a 4 lane, super fast and busy with NO extra room and has a drop off into the gutter! So we put up with the walker, dog'ers, skaters, etc., to us the most PIA is the walker with friends and Ipod's. A bell is useless so you end up having to SHOUT or just pass and hope they don't move on you. There are no "specific" Bike Trails here in Co. Spgs., it's all MUT'S and as stated, the bicycle rider is the BOTTOM of the food chain, SIGH!

Old 05-07-11, 09:32 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There's what, 5 billion pepole on earth more or less? And every blessed one, including me, has his own agenda. The fact is, I'm not the center of the universe and I'm not going to get my own way all the time. Once you get used to that fact life starts being a lot more fun.
Old 05-07-11, 07:48 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride Uprights, LWB 'bents, and SWB bents on both busy roads and busy MUP's and see no difference from one bike to another. To me it seems that regardless of it's shape or size, a bike is just a bike.
Old 05-08-11, 04:44 AM
Woodsywoman

Bikes: TerraTrike Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking the trike on a car ride to get to a MUP today. Not sure it's the best idea on Mothers' Day with one of the first lovely, sunny days and a Sunday, but I want to ride on the flat (around me is ALL up/down). I'm planning on just cruising at a slow speed so I know I'll enjoy myself regardless of the throngs. Part of the users are horses as well (and I'm a horseowner) so I'll know to be very respectful around them.
Old 05-08-11, 06:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I ride Uprights, LWB 'bents, and SWB bents on both busy roads and busy MUP's and see no difference from one bike to another. To me it seems that regardless of it's shape or size, a bike is just a bike.
How does that LWB fit between the posts? Some of the trails that I ride have squeeze posts that always seem to be located somewhere that I also have to make a fairly sharp turn.
Old 05-08-11, 09:53 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How does that LWB fit between the posts? Some of the trails that I ride have squeeze posts that always seem to be located somewhere that I also have to make a fairly sharp turn.
I would like to know that answer as well.
Old 05-08-11, 01:42 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
None of our squeeze points require right-angle turns. I'm able to ride straight thru even towing my B.O.B. with no problem.

Our squeeze points are of two different types:

*The most common and oldest style consists of three posts, one on each edge of the trail and one in the center of the trail. Some trails simply have the center post. The center post is removeble (padlocked in place) to allow access for emergency and maintainance vehicles.

*Some newer devices are actually gates that are locked in place allowing access in the center of the trail wide enough for bikes, trikes and trailers. Again, these can be opened to allow access for emergency and maintainance vehicles.

Below is an example of our newest trail protected from accidental motor vehicle traffic with a locked, removable center post...

Here's a three post set-up

And the gated approach....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.