Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Preferred Vintage Carbon Gravel Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-23, 01:47 PM
alankittner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2-5-year-old Carbon Gravel Bike for Roads, too?

Can you recommend a gravel bike (2 - 5 years old) that is also good for climbing hills on roads? I have a Cannondale Lefty '29er (2014), but I want something lighter, with front suspension, at the least. Weight and comfort are important to me as I'm an older (67) recreational rider who explores the roads in the Berkeley, California hills but now wants to ride on gravel. I'm also open to Titanium. The new bikes in this category look amazing, but I can't afford $3,000 and up, so I prefer to spend $2,000-$3,000 for a used bike that is preferred over what I could buy new.

Last edited by alankittner; 10-09-23 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-08-23, 04:41 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://lynskeyperformance.com/grave...m-axs-xplr-1x/
Old 10-08-23, 05:09 PM
alankittner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sending this. Great discount --- I need to learn more about Lynskey and this bike in particular. I will check on-line for reviews. Really appreciate your response.
Old 10-08-23, 09:55 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
vintage gravel bike ... ‘vintage’ ?

if you desire front suspension the field is then significantly limited

of course front and rear suspension even more so

Last edited by t2p; 10-08-23 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-08-23, 09:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I am unaware of any vintage carbon gravel bikes.
At oldest, you could find one from 10 years ago, so hardly vintage.

Instead of people suggesting various brands/models, just look on ebay and maybe proscloset for gravel bikes in your size.
Register on pinkbike and look there too.

I could list off a dozen suggestions, but who knows if you can even find on in your size and price range
Old 10-08-23, 10:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
It sounds to me like you're looking for a 10 year old carbon fiber cross country hardtail mountain bike, with a suspension fork.

Swap 45mm tires onto it and a 38t chainring and you're golden.

If you want to run drop bars, it becomes a big balyhoo and probably isn't worth it.

You can certainly find a carbon cyclocross bike from a few years back, but it won't have suspension, or geometry to support suspension if you wanted an aftermarket fork.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 10-08-23, 10:21 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I'm guessing you mean used but not necessarily vintage, which typically would mean older bikes; like ones made before there was such a thing as a gravel bike.

Not sure what kind of surfaces your planning to ride but most gravel bikes don't have front suspension, which is going to add a lot of weight, which you probably don't want for the hills or road riding. If I were you, I think I would see if I could test ride some new gravel bikes to get an idea of what you want and then start looking at used bikes. In your budget, you should be able to find a lot of options on Craigslist and FB marketplace.

Canyon also has some attractively priced gravel bikes that offer a lot for the money and they've been discounting recently. Have no experience with them personally but have heard positive feedback.
Old 10-09-23, 07:45 AM
alankittner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx. I removed "vintage" as I want a good used one that is 2-5 years old.
Old 10-09-23, 08:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by alankittner
Thx. I removed "vintage" as I want a good used one that is 2-5 years old.
Oh, well thats just a used bike. Plenty of those around.
Again though, its pretty pointless for people to suggest specific brand/model because who knows if you can find one in your size and price range.

Its better to just go on ebay and search for gravel bikes in your size. Or go on pinkbike. Even TPC, though they are goofy expensive sometimes.
To be clear, very few gravel bikes have front suspension. Like very very few. Only in the last year have a couple brands released a model with a gravel suspension fork. Other brands offer suspension thru elastomer in the stem to flex, movement in the seatpost, etc.

Anyways, this is new and only $2000. Front suspension even- https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...farbe=R075_P05
And this is $2300, carbon frame, and has suspension due to the handlebar design- https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-...nfarbe=YE%2FBK
Old 10-09-23, 10:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

a few bikes come to mind

as mentioned in a previous post - Canyon Grizl 7 with RockShox front suspension

Cannondale Topstone gravel bike is available with a front suspension fork (Lefty Oliver) and also available with rear suspension ... sorta/kinda - ‘kingpin’ rear suspension

Cannondale also produced the Slate for a few years with a front suspension fork (Lefty Oliver) - my Slate is pictured above in top picture ... (please note: Slate was an early ‘all roads’ bike that is limited to 42mm max tire size in the rear)

Lauf offers a gravel bike with a unique front suspension fork - pictured in middle and bottom pictures

might be able to find these bikes used in your price range

Last edited by t2p; 10-09-23 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 10:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I own a Canyon Grizl without suspension. It has room for 700 x 50 tires, but mine came equipped with 700 x 45 tires. On anything short of rocky single track, suspension isn't needed
Old 10-10-23, 12:08 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Or Buy any bike and add Redshift Stem/Seatpost

Originally Posted by alankittner
2-5-year-old Carbon Gravel Bike for Roads, too?

Can you recommend a gravel bike (2 - 5 years old) that is also good for climbing hills on roads? I have a Cannondale Lefty '29er (2014), but I want something lighter, with front suspension, at the least. Weight and comfort are important to me as I'm an older (67) recreational rider who explores the roads in the Berkeley, California hills but now wants to ride on gravel. I'm also open to Titanium. The new bikes in this category look amazing, but I can't afford $3,000 and up, so I prefer to spend $2,000-$3,000 for a used bike that is preferred over what I could buy new.
Buy any used road bike, add Redshift Stem and/or seatpost, and have front/rear suspension. That opens up the field considerably. Redshift