Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Sealants do Pro Teams use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Sealants do Pro Teams use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 11:28 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
After reading this thread I think I'll start stocking up on tubes and tires, just in case all the mfr's goes tubeless......
Some have, some are doing it. Non tubeless clincher tires have their days numbered, and tubulars are increasingly a rarity.

You can use tubeless tires and wheels with tubes, though, and those aren't going away.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-13-23, 05:03 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
My nephew was a pro (rode with Chris Horner on his last team) and it was a little disappointing how things are hodge-podge to a degree. Unless they have a massive budget, spares and the like do vary. My nephew rode/raced a cracked frame for a little while until the replacement came etc. I ran to an LBS to get him some tubes before race day once for instance (anything would do as long as it had a long enough valve stem!). After he retired, he gave me his box of spares, and there are new chainrings there, so they had those at least.

Long story short, it's like the military, as upon closer inspection, it's not as tidy as it appears. So, sealant/no sealant/inserts whatever is going to vary. What is ideal, and what is done are two different things.

ETA- Chris Horner is cool, and his "Butterfly Effect" channel is great.

Last edited by Erzulis Boat; 10-13-23 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 10-14-23, 06:12 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Tidy military made me LMAO, thank you. GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!
Old 10-14-23, 12:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You could be correct. If they are running their own sealant choices (rather than a sponsor's choice), we'd never know.
Trie… until the Stans-sponsored rider gets a puncture and squirts out some orange sealant.
Likes For Kapusta: