Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions cutting brake housings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need suggestions cutting brake housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 08:47 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Scott, I am working with those type cables right now also and am following the thread with interest.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 02-18-24, 09:05 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I've used a dremel to cut and now have a Pedro's cutter. Ususally it's OK with just reaming out the center with an awl, but sometimes I give it a little touch on the bench grinder, then the awl.

But there's a lot of helpful hints on youtube;
Old 02-18-24, 09:34 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Interesting you say that. The cables I installed that got me started on this thread were that exact style where step one is to cut off the style of end you don't want. Seemed like a genius idea to me.
They were probably made long before anyone thought of threading a cable through dual control levers, frame tubes, handlebars and stems, and steerers. Or maybe they weren't. Or, actually, if you cut them close enough to the end you're going to toss, there might be enough solder between the strands to keep the end from fraying as you try to push it through a little hole.
Old 02-19-24, 01:24 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
They were probably made long before anyone thought of threading a cable through dual control levers, frame tubes, handlebars and stems, and steerers. Or maybe they weren't. Or, actually, if you cut them close enough to the end you're going to toss, there might be enough solder between the strands to keep the end from fraying as you try to push it through a little hole.
All I know is, trying to thread a cut cable (with Park cutters) through a gripshift with a sharp turn in a plastic tube, after the wrap around the barrel, was a MFer. Having that solder-ball-end, makes all the difference.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-19-24, 08:58 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
Logically, the major concern is getting a quick and easy cut that the cable moves freely through. The little end caps almost certainly exist to compensate for a certain level of unevenness.
Old 02-19-24, 09:59 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
That definitely isn’t necessary. The housing shouldn’t crush with quality cutters, which should mostly slide between the coils of the housing before slicing through.
While maybe it "shouldn't be necessary" to cut the housing with a piece of scrap cable inside, it really does make for a cleaner cut and less work to dress the end of the casing once the cut has been made. I've been doing it this way for decades.
Old 02-19-24, 10:10 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
While maybe it "shouldn't be necessary" to cut the housing with a piece of scrap cable inside, it really does make for a cleaner cut and less work to dress the end of the casing once the cut has been made. I've been doing it this way for decades.
Cool. I've never done it for decades with no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-19-24, 10:36 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I just reshape the hole with an awl afterwards. It usually needs just a little help (I have Park Tool cutters too)
+1 The trick universal in the Portland cycling world is to make "pokey tools", sharpened spokes. They work perfectly. You can staple housing to your tool wall or whatever and just slip your pokey tool in it for easy access.

That this hasn't been mentioned once in this thread blows me away. With the tool, you only need to grind to a nice square end to fit the stop. No additional grinding to get to a good clean hole.
Old 02-19-24, 10:48 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
That this hasn't been mentioned once in this thread blows me away.
Don't be. You missed post 12:

If the internal liner is getting crushed closed, some people use an old spoke sharpened to a point to open up the liner.
Old 02-19-24, 11:45 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
+1 for using a Dremmel and a cutting wheel, I've tried cable cutters but they always squish it a bit and leave jaggies.

I don't use that modern shift cable outer (pre 84 bikes) so I like my Bowden outers cut nicely.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 02-19-24, 03:39 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Suggestions, please. Noobie question.

Last night, I changed out the cables and housings on my 8-year-old daughter's bike, mostly to make them pink, but there were some issues as well.

I'd successfully changed, if I recall correctly, 5 other bike cables in the past year. I use a new Park cable cutter, so I don't figure that is my problem.

Anyhow, the shift cables cut just fine, but I had problems not crushing the thicker short sections of brake housing. I ended up throwing one fresh-cut section away because it had crappy cuts on both ends. I've learned that a bad cut can cause a lot of drag on the cable.

Putting a section of cable into the housing before cutting the housing and cutting both helps substantially. Is that the best practice? How do you make the short sections of housing and then extract the bit of cable left inside if you go that route?
I used to cut housing with a pair of Park cutters, then file the end flat and use an awl or suitably sized nail to ensure a clear opening. Nowadays I simply use a cut-off wheel on a Dremel, which pretty much does it all in one go.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-19-24, 05:07 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Anyhow, the shift cables cut just fine, but I had problems not crushing the thicker short sections of brake housing. I ended up throwing one fresh-cut section away because it had crappy cuts on both ends. I've learned that a bad cut can cause a lot of drag on the cable.
I just snip off the jaggy bit, attacking from the end rather than the side. You can grind the end flat, a belt sander works well, if you want to do a really good job.
Old 02-19-24, 05:54 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Quality electrical combination pliers cut housing like butter, leaving straight cut.
Old 02-19-24, 06:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Suggestions, please. Noobie question.

Last night, I changed out the cables and housings on my 8-year-old daughter's bike, mostly to make them pink, but there were some issues as well.

I'd successfully changed, if I recall correctly, 5 other bike cables in the past year. I use a new Park cable cutter, so I don't figure that is my problem.

Putting a section of cable into the housing before cutting the housing and cutting both helps substantially. Is that the best practice? How do you make the short sections of housing and then extract the bit of cable left inside if you go that route?
The problem with inserting cabling during the cut is getting the cabling out afterwards. You could end up with stray strands in the housing that can cause problems or you could crush the cut end of the cable in the housing.

It’s best to tilt cutters to line up with the spirals of the brake housing so that you split one of the spirals and only have to cut through a small amount of the steel part. You can practice this method by stripping a bit of plastic away from the metal to learn how to split that spiral.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-19-24, 06:19 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
+1 The trick universal in the Portland cycling world is to make "pokey tools", sharpened spokes. They work perfectly. You can staple housing to your tool wall or whatever and just slip your pokey tool in it for easy access.
Sharpen the threaded end and use the J end for fishing cable ends out of frame tubes. It's perfect for that.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 02-19-24, 07:17 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
I'm impressed. So many different approaches to a job that I originally thought was as simple as a skillful "snip".
Old 02-19-24, 07:48 PM
smd4

So many different approaches to a job that I originally thought was as simple as a skillful "snip".
Really that’s all you need.
Old 02-21-24, 05:47 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I'm impressed. So many different approaches to a job that I originally thought was as simple as a skillful "snip".
I finally finished putting the hand brake on my cruiser. Cutting the brake housing did turn out to be a simple snip. I used the tine of a fork as a pokey. This is a great thread to learn from.