Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

buying a new bike, what should I look for?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 06:14 AM
arej00dazed

Bikes: '09 Giant Boulder SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to be buying a new bike from my LBS real soon. I'm looking at the Specialized Hardrock and Giant Boulder (only because I can get them for $350). I'm new to buying a bike like this, last one was from toys r us I bought back before '00. Is there anything I should look out for? Any questions I should ask? Would it be worth spending a lil extra for disc brakes over the standard V brakes? This bike will be used for recreational, trails/pavement, camping, getting back to fishing spots, etc. Nothing extreme, that is til I get it setup for going fishing, in which I'll be doing mostly off trail riding.

The threaded portion of the stem on the front forks sheared off on my old bike and I couldn't see dropping up to $200 on a bike I can buy for $100 @ WM. The $200~ included a tune up, new tires, bearings, new forks + labor.
Old 06-16-09, 08:41 AM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time disc brakes are really worth the prince increase is in very wet and muddy conditions, so no, I wouldn't recommend spending on them. Also, in that price range I'd look for a rigid bike, suspension isn't really necessary for the riding you describe and a good fork costs about the same as those bikes.