Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gloves or Grips to Lessen Numbness in Hands for Long Distance?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 10:07 AM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know this has been discussed here before, but the newest post I found in search was from 2006 and I'm sure there are new products now so I'm going to ask anew.

I just did my first century, and the only problem I had was numbness in my hands, starting around the 40-mile mark. My right hand is still tingling now, the next day. I was wearing some relatively thin gloves. My bike is a Swobo Dixon with flat bars (note: I am not interested in getting another bike right now, or even new bars). I assume getting some new gloves with better padding would help, yes? Or possibly grips?

Recommendations please? Looking for something for fair weather. Most of my cycling is my 14 mi. RT daily commute and the gloves I already have are fine for that.
Old 06-07-09, 10:18 AM
spokenword

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcrawford111
I know this has been discussed here before, but the newest post I found in search was from 2006 and I'm sure there are new products now so I'm going to ask anew.

I just did my first century, and the only problem I had was numbness in my hands, starting around the 40-mile mark. My right hand is still tingling now, the next day. I was wearing some relatively thin gloves. My bike is a Swobo Dixon with flat bars (note: I am not interested in getting another bike right now, or even new bars). I assume getting some new gloves with better padding would help, yes? Or possibly grips?

Recommendations please? Looking for something for fair weather. Most of my cycling is my 14 mi. RT daily commute and the gloves I already have are fine for that.
bar ends in combination with better gloves might help, they give your hands a more natural rest position on your bike. It's better for your hands to rest with thumbs up, like you're about to shake someone's hand, rather than with palms flat.

As far as gloves go, I've personally had a lot of good experiences with the Specialized Body Geometry line and would heartily recommend them.
Old 06-07-09, 04:36 PM
Spookykinkajou

Bikes: Titus Modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gloves aren't the answer. You should be able to ride with no gloves and not have any issues. Check your fit first then get cushy gloves if you want them, but they really aren't necessary.

Flat bars probably aren't ideal for long distance road riding but the bar end suggestion is good.

This is my opinion and probably isn't universally accepted!

If you are bent on flat bars, perhaps check out Ergon grips - they've bar end integrated solutions. They are really popular with endurance mountain bike racers.
Old 06-07-09, 07:42 PM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spookykinkajou
gloves aren't the answer. You should be able to ride with no gloves and not have any issues. Check your fit first then get cushy gloves if you want them, but they really aren't necessary.

Flat bars probably aren't ideal for long distance road riding but the bar end suggestion is good.
+1
Old 06-07-09, 07:53 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flat bars are more likely to damage ulnar nerves over the long haul due to lack of positions, but overall fit is the key.
Old 06-07-09, 08:16 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
Gloves aren't the answer. You should be able to ride with no gloves and not have any issues. Check your fit first then get cushy gloves if you want them, but they really aren't necessary.

This is my opinion and probably isn't universally accepted!

If you are bent on flat bars, perhaps check out Ergon grips - they've bar end integrated solutions. They are really popular with endurance mountain bike racers.
++1...

I think there's a fit problem here... Gloves and Ergon's (I use both on my MTB) will probably make a positive difference, but you'll want to deal with the root issue.

Finally, (and I know you don't want to hear this) but on long rides I take one of my two drop-bar bikes. I've ridden my flat-bar MTB 70+ miles, it's just not nearly as comfortable.
Old 06-07-09, 09:39 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Road bars with drops are the most comfortable for long rides, you can change hand positions frequently and take pressure off the nerves that are causing numbness. But you aren't interested in that, so learn to deal with the numbness, or only ride short rides.
Old 06-07-09, 10:41 PM
The Smokester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given your boundary conditions, bar ends are your best option.
Old 06-07-09, 11:17 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about road bars, wrapped with nice thick bar tape AND gloves? I ride in the drops a lot, with a fair bit of pressure on my hands, and I'm happy with it.
Old 06-08-09, 12:55 AM
kmcrawford111

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went through all of the fitting when I bought the bike, but it's probably worth rechecking. I'll look into bar ends too.

I understand how road bars are better, but I don't think it's worthwhile to get another bike or even changing the bars for a few rides out of the year if there's a simpler solution - for the other 450+ rides during the year, I like the feeling of control that my flat bars provide for my not-smooth and heavily rail-crossed route.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-08-09, 05:56 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Kevin,

You might consider aero-bars on your existing flat-bars. They are ideal for longer sections without turns. They would allow you to have an alternate hand position. You could always return your hand to the flat bar when in traffic or on bad pavement. You could also remove them and reinstall them for use on longer rides.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-08-09, 06:23 AM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a set of barends like these for my hybrid bike when I toured on that, helped me a lot:

Looked like this installed, I had to trim 1" off each side of the bar after getting home to make them really great but i did push out almost 200km one day on them. Softer grips help a little bit too but more positions and better fit is the solution.

Old 06-08-09, 06:35 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ergon grips are pretty good. i have them combined with on one mary bars on my fixed gear sometimes long distance bike. not sure i'd be doing brevets with that setup - but it is reasonably comfortable.

as to gloves - they make my hands numb. if you are properly positioned and move around on the bike i see no reason to need gloves. i've worked hard to eliminate the need for gloves on rides. 1 less thing to remember and 'gear up' into... and i'm more comfortable.

check your fit. something is off, although i wouldn't ride LD with flat bars, but YMMV.
Old 06-08-09, 06:36 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went through all of the fitting when I bought the bike, but it's probably worth rechecking.

what did that entail? most bike shop 'fittings' are sort of a joke.
Old 06-08-09, 06:51 AM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gloves won't help with a handlebar and riding position combo which already cause numbness. If you already have thin gloves, gloves with thicker pads on them might not necessarily help either. I find that extra padding on gloves is like extra padding on a saddle: it ends up putting pressure in the wrong places and makes things worse.
Old 06-08-09, 08:32 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
1) Ergon grips
2) Bar ends
3) Gloves with a decent amount of padding
4) Switch regularly between the grips and the bar-ends
5) Lower your tire pressure a little bit

Have fun....
Old 06-08-09, 02:20 PM
kmcrawford111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just checked the bike fit, and it seems fine.

These Ergon GC3 grips look pretty sweet, what do you think?

https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gc3

Bar ends and grips in one.

I wonder if they are compatible with the i-Motion-9 twist shifter? From the page " Gripshift® compatible, Rohloff® / Nexus® compatible".
Old 06-08-09, 04:51 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just did my first century, and the only problem I had was numbness in my hands, starting around the 40-mile mark. My right hand is still tingling now, the next day. I was wearing some relatively thin gloves.
My bike is a Swobo Dixon with flat bars (note: I am not interested in getting another bike right now, or even new bars). I assume getting some new gloves with better padding would help, yes? Or possibly grips?

Recommendations please? Looking for something for fair weather. Most of my cycling is my 14 mi. RT daily commute and the gloves I already have are fine for that
That what it is going to take to get comfortable on a century.
Old 06-08-09, 07:28 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just checked the bike fit, and it seems fine.
ummm. what did that entail, exactly?
Old 06-08-09, 07:53 PM
spokenword

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
(Getting a new bike right now or even bars) is what it is going to take to get comfortable on a century.
as someone who's comfortably done a half-dozen century rides and an AIDSride between New York and Boston on a flat bar $400 Trek 730, I'll say that this statement isn't entirely accurate.

or true.

or helpful.
Old 06-08-09, 08:20 PM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
as someone who's comfortably done a half-dozen century rides and an AIDSride between New York and Boston on a flat bar $400 Trek 730, I'll say that this statement isn't entirely accurate.

or true.

or helpful.
I have been riding unsupported centuries for 35 years (I am now 60 years old) and I have done that on road bikes and flat bar bikes. My experience is that road bikes allow far more hand positions, allow for a more relaxed neck and shoulder, and if properly fitted are generally more comfortable than flat bars. OTOH, even when properly fitted, flat bar bikes keep your arms and neck and shoulders locked in one position. Bar extenders can offer slightly more movement, but they just don't compare to a road bike fitted with a bar like the Nitto Noodle.

Sorry, that I can't recommend a cushioned bar extension that will make the tingling go away.
Old 06-08-09, 09:20 PM
spokenword

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, I agree that drop bars can be more comfortable over distance for the reasons that you describe, and I also prefer drop bars. However, the OP mentioned that he currently does not have the budget or inclination to get a new bike or new bars (and for any flat bar bike, converting to drops is a non-trivial exercise anyway); so it's probably more helpful to work within those parameters than just tell him that his cause is hopeless and he should give up or surrender to getting a new bike
Old 06-09-09, 12:03 AM
kmcrawford111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmike
ummm. what did that entail, exactly?
I checked the standover height and the saddle height (leg straight with clipped-in pedal all the way down). I bought the size of bike listed for my height. I haven't changed the handlebar position or height, but it feels comfortable where it's at. I have no problems commuting on the bike 14 mi RT 7+ days in a row. Now that commuting has become normal, I have zero soreness or pain of any kind, and I use a backpack that is often heavy. If there was a problem with the fit, would I not have had a problem before doing these longer rides?
Old 06-09-09, 05:26 AM
rodrigaj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenword
oh, I agree that drop bars can be more comfortable over distance for the reasons that you describe, and I also prefer drop bars. However, the OP mentioned that he currently does not have the budget or inclination to get a new bike or new bars (and for any flat bar bike, converting to drops is a non-trivial exercise anyway); so it's probably more helpful to work within those parameters than just tell him that his cause is hopeless and he should give up or surrender to getting a new bike
When did I say this?

This is what I said:

That what it is going to take to get comfortable on a century.

Comfortable is the key word. We all have different comfort levels. The OP was beyond his, as I was, trying to do centuries on a flat bar bike. I did them on flat bars for 8 years. So by no means, am I saying that "his cause is hopeless".
Old 06-09-09, 05:29 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked the standover height and the saddle height (leg straight with clipped-in pedal all the way down). I bought the size of bike listed for my height. I haven't changed the handlebar position or height, but it feels comfortable where it's at. I have no problems commuting on the bike 14 mi RT 7+ days in a row. Now that commuting has become normal, I have zero soreness or pain of any kind, and I use a backpack that is often heavy. If there was a problem with the fit, would I not have had a problem before doing these longer rides?
standover height is a useless measurement.
leg straight with pedal clipped in seems like you might be too tall on the height - the old rule of thumb is that you put your heel on the pedal and when it is straight you are close to having a decent starting point for height - but need to go up or down from there as your riding style and other position requirements dictate. and other folks will do complicated leg measurement / crank length / etc... to get saddle height.

how wide are the bars? are your hands shoulder width apart while on the bars... or spread out?
where is the front of your knee in relation to the center of pedal? (some folks think this is useful, others not)
what angles are your torso / knees / etc... at when you are on the bars?
are your arms locked or slightly bent?
is your back straight or are you hunched over?
how much bar to saddle drop do you have?

if it feels comfortable where its at... why are you posting here?

fit issues tend to crop up on long rides - as you discovered.
something isn't quite right.
it could just be the grips...
it could just be some gloves...
it might also be fit...
your core strength...
proportion of weight on your hands...
too wide bars (forcing your arms out or your wrists to angle...)

etc. etc. etc.

buy some new grips - then be sure to ride a century on them.
the only way to solve this is to experiment around a bit...
try some new gloves... then ride a century on them.
move your grips in a bit... then ride century on them (or 70 miles, or wherever it starts to hurt...)
work on your core strength... it will help you keep weight off your hands... and see if over time that helps.

etc. etc. etc.

otherwise 100 people on an internet forum will get to argue with each other and you about what might work or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.