Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Opinions on the CXP-33s for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-09, 01:19 AM
mesasone

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious if anybody has much experience with these. I've been having some problems with my wheel set and after having my rear-wheel rebuild, I ordered a new pair of 32h Mavic CXP-33s laced to XT hubs to replace my current set. Would have preferred 36h, but the option wasn't available.

The wheels arrive tomorrow, and I am going to rebuild my current wheels, preferably with the same rim so I have two pairs of wheels that I can hot swap if any issues develop. However, before I run off and build a set of 36 hole CXP-33/XT wheels, I wanted to make sure they would be adequate for touring duties.

I'm a big guy and heavy rider, so I would expect the total weight of rider, gear (front + rear panniers), and bike to be under 300 lbs, and riding would be whatever the roads end up being - but preferably paved roads. I don't have any particular tours in mind for the near future, so it's hard to say.

I've heard good things about the CXP-33s in general making for a strong wheel and being good for clydes' like myself, but couldn't find much information pertaining specifically to touring.
Old 06-15-09, 04:29 AM
Black Shuck
cycling n00b

Bikes: EAI Brassknuckle fixed Sannino fixed, Thorn Club Tour, Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They might be on the narrow side, and maybe not as strong as the A319 or A719 from Mavic, but good rims nonetheless. The recommended maximum tire width for the CXP-33 is 28mm, they'll take a 32mm tire but probably not much more.

I'm happy so far with the CXP-33 wheels i have on my roadbike, but would hesitate before going touring on them.
Old 06-15-09, 04:38 AM
mesasone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did notice that the tire width was a bit narrow, which is what got me thinking in the first place. However from what I understand, the CXP-33 will easily take 700x40s according to other members on here on BF. This is of course based only on anecdotal evidence from other posters, so I suppose take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-15-09, 06:04 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
No offense intended here .. . but you ordered the wheels with the Mavic rims, then come here and ask opinions of it? It's a little late, is it not?

The CXP-33 is a sport/racing rim, and those marketing these rims as "for touring" should be put out of business. Mavic recommends no more than a 28mm tire. I would guess a 32 would be fine, but no way would I use a 40mm tire on it. At your combined weight I would be riding at least a 35mm tire and a wider rim. I know lots of people in these forums slap on wide tires on narrow rims all the time, and they say it's fine. Do we hear from these same people when their rims fail prematurely? I wouldn't do it. There is a reason why they don't recommend wide tires on narrow rims at high pressure: Rim failure in the sidewalls.

Check out Scwalbe's chart for rim/tires. The rim width is the inside, not outside. The CXP-33 is 15mm.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_in...dimensions#rim

Returning the wheels would be my recommendation. Get wider rims. The A319 or A719 would be perfect for the job.
Old 06-15-09, 09:56 AM
Randobarf
Barfin' Round the World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use CXP-33's for credit card touring. I use Mavic A719's for real touring. Under the load you are carrying the CXP-33's will last about one third as long as the A719's. I would not use the CXP-33's for heavy touring. For starters the CXP-33 is a light rim - almost 100 g lighter than the A719. The CXP-33 is also an aero rim which means it requires long valve stems that are not available on heavier touring tubes. The CXP-33 also collects water in extreme rain (due to the aero section).

The CXP-33 handle up to 28mm tires (eg Conti Gatorskin 28) which are a large enough size for asphalt touring. It would not be my first choice for carrying anything other than a credit card or two and a toothbrush with the handle cut down.
Old 06-15-09, 11:18 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Personally I would go with 36H Mavic A719s or Velocity Dyads for touring, particularly if you are a bigger guy. CXP-33s have a good reputation for durability in training wheels, however.
Old 06-15-09, 12:16 PM
mesasone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
No offense intended here .. . but you ordered the wheels with the Mavic rims, then come here and ask opinions of it? It's a little late, is it not?

The CXP-33 is a sport/racing rim, and those marketing these rims as "for touring" should be put out of business.
While I appreciate the advice, I wish you wouldn't jump to conclusions. I bought a second, NEW (non-touring) wheelset, and am asking if I should use this rim to for my OLDER wheelset as well. I use my bike for much, much more than touring. I don't need two sets of touring wheels, but one would sure be nice. I just wanted to know if a 36h CXP-33/XT wheel set would be up to the job, and based on the responses here it obviously would not be first pick. I will look for something else with a similar braking profile.

Originally Posted by Garthr
I know lots of people in these forums slap on wide tires on narrow rims all the time, and they say it's fine. Do we hear from these same people when their rims fail prematurely?
I haven't read about too many CXP-33s failing, have you? I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen but your remarks about other the riders who put fatter tires on them seem unwarranted. However, I do appreciate the concern - I certainly wouldn't want to be on some back road at dusk, several miles from my destination and have my rim go.

Anyway, thank you ALL for your advice. I will look for another rim.
Old 06-15-09, 02:56 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

My Surly LHT has been rolling on CXP-33 rims & LX hubs 32H since I started riding it a few years ago. The wheels have been trouble free needing no attention. I run them with 35mm Marathon XRs - they roll well and are super tough.

I'm 160lbs and have used the LHT only for paved road tours. I tend to carry a moderate load - not the kitchen sink, but not ultra light either.
Old 06-15-09, 03:55 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

My Surly LHT has been rolling on CXP-33 rims & LX hubs 32H since I started riding it a few years ago. The wheels have been trouble free needing no attention. I run them with 35mm Marathon XRs - they roll well and are super tough.

I'm 160lbs and have used the LHT only for paved road tours. I tend to carry a moderate load - not the kitchen sink, but not ultra light either.
I'm gonna contradict myself. Although I'm not a fan of the Surly LHT, those wheels look good on that bike. Nice setup with the racks too. I thought about getting those wheels for my 'cross bike. How well do you think they'll do offroad? I weigh 150 lbs. and will be carrying a light load.
Old 06-15-09, 04:06 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
I'm gonna contradict myself. Although I'm not a fan of the Surly LHT, those wheels look good on that bike. Nice setup with the racks too. I thought about getting those wheels for my 'cross bike. How well do you think they'll do offroad? I weigh 150 lbs. and will be carrying a light load.
I'm not really sure how to evaluate those wheels for off road use. I guess what I can say is I'd ride them on a gravel/dirt road tour without hesitation. I don't think I'd be comfortable touring with them if I was really going off road, but if it came to that the LHT has a really low BB and isn't really ideally suited for anything gnarly off road.
Old 06-15-09, 04:12 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Among wheel builders the A319 and 719 seem to be tops for touring and for good reason... these are very nice rims that can stand up to a lot of abuse and the A319 will not break the bank either.