Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Enduro Fork on Trail Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 10:46 AM
Robbo_Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is there a significant consequence to putting an Enduro fork on a trail bike? More specifically, my bike has the a Fox Rhythm 34 with 150mm of travel, and I was curious about swapping it out for something sturdier, like a Fox Float 36. I'm not interested in more travel, but I'm about 210 lbs, and I was wondering if something stronger might serve me better. I mostly ride single track and flow trails, but I'd like the option include a little bit of all mountain. Would making such a swap significantly change my bike's geometry or weight? Would doing provide no or only a marginal benefit that could be served just as well with volume spacers? Has anyone here experimented with such a modification?
Old 02-15-22, 02:34 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I have a similar fork (34" 150 ) on my old trailbike --- its a 2014 and in '14 , this was darn near Enduro spec. Cant tell you what to do on your own bike , but i can give you testimony on mine --- Im bigger than you - as in, Super-Clydesdale size - 275 lbs, so crowding 300 pretty easy kitted up with a full face lid and pads and tool pack

I didnt ride blacks on this setup , had had absolutely no problem riding chunky blues (downhill trails ) at Angel Fire and Trestle (Winter park ) -- The worst part of the bike was not suspension related , but the Race Face aluminum rims flexed so much on bigger bermed out bowl turns that i was afraid the tires were going to hit the chainstays.
The Fox 34 handled everything just fine

But again - to qualify that statement - we all have different riding styles, experience levels, etc. Im a Cat 2 , but i nurtured my riding style around my weight , because if i didnt "ride light" and take care to backside everything i could, i would for sure break stuff frequently. But in general, i like burlier equipment when i can get it, -- it removes excuses. But if your current 34 is in good shape -- why bother ?

Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-15-22, 03:12 PM
Robbo_Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the insight. That's a good-looking Yeti. Is it a reverse mullet, or is does the angle make just give that illusion?
Old 02-15-22, 05:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
As long as you are within the same general specs as the old fork I wouldn't worry to much about it. If the frame can handle 150 and you get a different 150mm fork that fits properly you should be fine. If the Axle to Crown is the same it won't change your position but if different could alter that. A Fox Factory 36 with that lovely Kashima coating would look good on your bike (because it just looks good everywhere) and if the decals don't quite fit Ground Keeper has you covered.

I moved from a 100mm to a 140mm fork (it had the correct A2C measurements) and I am not complaining at all it looks good feels better than the SR Suntour fork and makes everyone jealous (ok that last part is just a joke).
Old 02-16-22, 01:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are a couple of reasons to change it up. The fork chassis will be stiffer. Best of all having something like a 36 or a Lyrik opens up a whole world of tuning options. Not just the factory options but aftermarket.
https://www.vorsprungsuspension.com/
https://www.pushindustries.com/
Avalanche Suspension

Re:travel, the manufacturer designed the head tube to a certain strength in line with an aggressive obese male bottoming out the fork they designed it with. Adding travel adds leverage to that. So it voids the warranty and no one responsible will tell you it's a good idea, but also probably it won't explode and kill you if you go one size up.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-16-22 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-16-22, 08:23 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
At 210 lbs you will probably appreciate the stiffness of the 36. As far as travel, you can look up the range of front travel your bike is designed for. Most have a range.
Old 02-17-22, 12:42 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbo_Rider
Thank you for the insight. That's a good-looking Yeti. Is it a reverse mullet, or is does the angle make just give that illusion?

Its just the angle - its a 29'er