Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

SunRace 11-40

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

SunRace 11-40

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 01:47 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
SunRace 11-40

I'm wondering if anyone might have tried using a SunRace 11-40 (or 42) cassette in a 2 x 10 touring setup. I just got lucky and bought a 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO in pristine condition. It comes stock with long cage SRAM X9 RD, an 11-36 cassette and a 48/32 crankset which gives me a low end of around 24.8 gear inches. Given that I bought the bike for loaded longer distance touring (hoping for a cross country ride in 2018) I am trying to efficiently get my low end down closer to 20 and the above referenced cassette would get me closer (22.3") without the costs associated with the full changeover to a triple (crankset, shifter, FD). Would love to hear if anyone has had experience. Would also love to hear of anyone has much experience with the stock AWOL EVO setup from 2016. I note that the new AWOL is back to triple (Tiagra).
Old 12-04-16, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its 29er stuff for the one by crowd..

I * recommend touring on mainstream components, because You won't find Fringe trendy stuff outside the Major city shops.

9 by 3 should get you any where you want to see, and if you need help the typical Mom & Pop Shop will probably have spares.

* Pacific coast sees Hundreds of cycletourists every summer ..
Old 12-04-16, 02:46 PM
Jbarcs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2007 Specialized S-Works Tricross, 2010 Specialized Tricross Triple, 2016 Specialized AWOL EVO

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. Not sure how to read "fringe trendy." Reviews of quality are pretty solid and many talk about use in 2 x 10 setups. I know that a 3 x 9 will work as it's on my other touring bike. But I'm no closer to finding an answer to the question if anyone here may have experience with the referenced gearing.
Old 12-04-16, 04:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,540 Times in 4,216 Posts
What crankset do you have? With a 32t small ring, i would figure you have a bcd which would allow you to get a smaller inner ring. Thatd be a cheap way to get smaller GI.

As for the cassette you asked about, i havent used it but i looked into it when i built a gravel bike. Everything i read showed its a quality cassette and not 2nd fiddle to shimano/sram.

I dont know sram components well- can your rear derailleur handle the larger cassette?

Also, sweet bike. Really cool.
As for the mentioned concern that the cassette is trendy and not widely available...thats true. But in the extremely rare chance it breaks and younare in Wyoming, then just get a different cassette. Your drivetrain couldnhandle basically any 10sp smaller than the sunrace cassette, so if a store in BFE Wyoming only has an 11-32 cassette then get it and go. The gearing wont be nearly as convenient, but itll let you ride.
Old 12-04-16, 04:37 PM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
SunRace 11-40

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What crankset do you have? With a 32t small ring, i would figure you have a bcd which would allow you to get a smaller inner ring. Thatd be a cheap way to get smaller GI.

As for the cassette you asked about, i havent used it but i looked into it when i built a gravel bike. Everything i read showed its a quality cassette and not 2nd fiddle to shimano/sram.

I dont know sram components well- can your rear derailleur handle the larger cassette?

Also, sweet bike. Really cool.
As for the mentioned concern that the cassette is trendy and not widely available...thats true. But in the extremely rare chance it breaks and younare in Wyoming, then just get a different cassette. Your drivetrain couldnhandle basically any 10sp smaller than the sunrace cassette, so if a store in BFE Wyoming only has an 11-32 cassette then get it and go. The gearing wont be nearly as convenient, but itll let you ride.

Thanks for your reply. The crankset that came on the bike is an FSA Gossamer Pro "sub compact" 48/32. While I haven't checked I would guess that a smaller ring could be used. The long cage derailleur is SRAM X9 and will handle the cassette with a chain wrap of 47 (the proposed setup would be 45).

Like you, I don't know SRAM well at all... this being my first acquaintance. My road bike and my cross bike and my other touring bike are all Shimano so this is something of an adventure. The AWOL is quite something... had only eight rides... less than 300 miles.

I appreciate your encouragement.
Old 12-04-16, 05:17 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We I were you, I get the 11-42 cassette, then get a 49 cog from Wolftooth. The 49-32 setup will give you below a 20 inch combo. Lots of info on Wolftooth on how to do this

Drop-Stop Chainrings
Old 12-04-16, 05:43 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbarcs
T...The crankset that came on the bike is an FSA Gossamer Pro "sub compact" 48/32. ....
If you can install a smaller chainring, I think that makes more sense and is cheaper. Also consider that if you put on the bigger cassette, you would probably need a new (longer) chain too.

I just tried to do a quick search and did not find that crankset anywhere. Compact yes, but did not find sub compact.

Can you measure it to see what the bolt circle diameter is, if so you should be able to find if there are smaller chainrings available. The link below tells you the easiest way to measure. Note, different tables for 4 vs 5 arm cranks.
Bicycle Chainrings (Chainwheels) from Harris Cyclery

Let us know what you find. If it is a 5 arm 74mm bolt circle diameter, that is a common size and you can find chainrings down to 24 for a reasonable cost.
Old 12-04-16, 06:31 PM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
The crankset is FSA Gossamer 386... 48/32... 110 BCD... 4 arm. Based on my look at the chainring and the SRAM website it would appear that 32 is as small as it gets.

The idea of using Wolftooth etc. occurred to me but I excused it quickly as it requires one to discard a ring from the middle of the cluster thereby disrupting the natural interval between cogs... something that would quickly drive me crazy.

Meanwhile, I'm still interested if anyone may have tried this... the SunRace... setup.
Old 12-04-16, 06:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Revues Of new stuff ( part of selling ) are short term impressions Not ones taken after several years of Use.

Wyoming ? How about Mongolia?
Old 12-04-16, 06:48 PM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
So let's not count on the "revues of new stuff" but rather on the impression(s) of actual experience. I actually plan no trips to Mongolia... and if I ever get there I most probably won't have this bike with me.

Not sure how this helps beyond running up the total post number. Apologies to all involved.
Old 12-04-16, 07:34 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that cassette is real expensive, maybe a new crankset might even be cheaper. Maybe check in with mountain bike forum for their opinion of the cassette.
Old 12-04-16, 08:03 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
....using a SunRace 11-40 (or 42) cassette in a 2 x 10 touring setup. .....bought the bike for loaded longer distance touring.....trying to efficiently get my low end down closer to 20 and the above referenced cassette would get me closer (22.3") without the costs associated with the full changeover to a triple.....
you might save a few bucks. might. but then it could be cheaper
to simply go with the 3*9 deore setup you're familiar with.

looks like you're jumping though hoops for no real reason.
the 2*10 will give you fewer closely-spaced gears, with
bigger jumps between.......and you still won't have the
essential sub-20" low gear you need for loaded touring.
Old 12-04-16, 09:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I * recommend touring on mainstream components, because You won't find Fringe trendy stuff outside the Major city shops.

9 by 3 should get you any where you want to see, and if you need help the typical Mom & Pop Shop will probably have spares.
Originally Posted by saddlesores
you might save a few bucks. might. but then it could be cheaper
to simply go with the 3*9 deore setup you're familiar with.

looks like you're jumping though hoops for no real reason.
the 2*10 will give you fewer closely-spaced gears, with
bigger jumps between.......and you still won't have the
essential sub-20" low gear you need for loaded touring.

The OPs bike is 10sp hydraulic braking. To change to a 3x9 system would require new STIs, brake system, cables and housing, crankset, front derailleur, and rear derailleur.

Thats changing most everything but the bars and seatpost.
Old 12-04-16, 09:52 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
The OPs bike is 10sp hydraulic braking. ....
oops...my misteak. saw "SRAM X9"...and "the full changeover to a triple (crankset, shifter, FD),"
sounded like OP had a weird 2*9 setup.
Old 12-04-16, 09:52 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Something does not add up...
110 mm BCD can not take a 32t ring, 33t is the smallest that would fit.

Yours is either larger than 32t or the BCD is smaller than 110 mm.
Old 12-04-16, 11:42 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
Something does not add up...
110 mm BCD can not take a 32t ring, 33t is the smallest that would fit.

Yours is either larger than 32t or the BCD is smaller than 110 mm.
I think he said his is a four-bolt, which can go as small as 32 as opposed to the five-bolt which is done at 33 (and that pushes it).
Old 12-05-16, 06:48 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I think he said his is a four-bolt, which can go as small as 32 as opposed to the five-bolt which is done at 33 (and that pushes it).
4 or 5 does not matter, a 32t ring can not be used on a 110 mm BCD crank.
No one makes a 4-arm 32t chainring since it is impossible to use.
The closest 4-arm BCD is 104 mm, and indeed you could fit a 32t on it, but 104 is _NOT_ 110.

Which was my point - if someone wants assistance, they need to provide accurate info.
Old 12-05-16, 07:57 AM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
4 or 5 does not matter, a 32t ring can not be used on a 110 mm BCD crank.
No one makes a 4-arm 32t chainring since it is impossible to use.
The closest 4-arm BCD is 104 mm, and indeed you could fit a 32t on it, but 104 is _NOT_ 110.

Which was my point - if someone wants assistance, they need to provide accurate info.

IK_biker:
Thanks for your kind reply. I've been trying to find a way to post an image of my phantom crankset that comes stock on the 2016 AWOL EVO bicycle from Specialized. Perhaps my problems posting the image are because it doesn't exist?

https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...1&d=1480945395

Oops... there it is. Using visual confirmation please note that the impressive 4 arm crankset from FSA is labeled "Gossamer 386" prominently. More difficult, but still quite legible in proper light, are the inscriptions "110 BCD" (at around 9 o'clock) which I believe is part of the debated information. Finally if you continue your gaze around the circumference of the chainwheel (to 11:30) you will make out the alpha-numeric "48/32T" which I do believe to be an identifying mark indicating 48 tooth large and 32 tooth small chainrings. I could indeed be wrong.

So far in this string I have found a number of suggestions as to what I should do instead of any reports on my initial inquiry which was looking for experience with a given item and setup. The person that suggested I was jumping through hoops interested me immensely. Changing a cassette is not exactly rocket science. Changing a complete groupset... well that comes a lot closer. The wacky idea (using an 11-40 SunRace), which was recommended to me by the mechanic at my LBS, is a $62 part; not cheap but also not outrageously expensive.

As to "accurate info." Apologies... I gave only that which I had.

In closing this joyful note I still seek any user experience if such may be out there.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1109.jpg (94.7 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Jbarcs; 12-05-16 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 08:21 AM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Adding to the "accurate info" transmission...

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/awol-evo/106844

Scroll to specifications. Apologies for my earlier abbreviated versions.
Old 12-05-16, 08:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

IK_biker:
So far in this string I have found a number of suggestions as to what I should do instead of any reports on my initial inquiry which was looking for experience with a given item and setup. The person that suggested I was jumping through hoops interested me immensely. Changing a cassette is not exactly rocket science. Changing a complete groupset... well that comes a lot closer. The wacky idea (using an 11-40 SunRace), which was recommended to me by the mechanic at my LBS, is a $62 part; not cheap but also not outrageously expensive.

As to "accurate info." Apologies... I gave only that which I had.

In closing this joyful note I still seek any user experience if such may be out there.

Cheers.
naganna happen- user experience. You are asking about pretty new tech for touring. Most here are entrenched in 3x9 or lower drivetrains.

Try the recreational cyclocross and gravelbiking forum maybe? or the mountainbike forum? Those two would probably have someone using the cassette before this forum would.

What this forum does excel at is reading your idea then asking why not do something else and suggesting that other thing. Its helpful at times since it gives the poster options to consider. Its completely useless at times for the obvious reason that is happening in this thread.
Old 12-05-16, 08:54 AM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
naganna happen- user experience. You are asking about pretty new tech for touring. Most here are entrenched in 3x9 or lower drivetrains.

Try the recreational cyclocross and gravelbiking forum maybe? or the mountainbike forum? Those two would probably have someone using the cassette before this forum would.

What this forum does excel at is reading your idea then asking why not do something else and suggesting that other thing. Its helpful at times since it gives the poster options to consider. Its completely useless at times for the obvious reason that is happening in this thread.

A genuine thanks for your suggestion. I have a bad habit of ruffling when told what I say is false. I'll seek counsel elsewhere. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-16, 09:09 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
So, plenty of options for you. Going from a 36 t to a 40 t in the back might work. Depends on the rear der. Check out something called a goat link. A small pice that goes from the der hole on the frame to allow the rear der. to hang lower from the bike. Just be sure to check cassette tooth count for spacing. Some of the jumps are large. Even easier. Just get and after market 40 T cog. It will involve taking out the 16 or 17t to fit it in. On your original cassette. Wolftooth has your answers. The 40 or 42 is added. The 15 and 17 are replaced by a 16.

Last edited by Leebo; 12-05-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Do budget cab and /or bus fare for, when the things you cannot fix, break.

I chose simple reliable stuff, myself , being an Old realistic person.

Park the bling bike where you live to show off to your mates, tour on something else..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-05-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 09:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
... The person that suggested I was jumping through hoops interested me immensely. Changing a cassette is not exactly rocket science. Changing a complete groupset... well that comes a lot closer. The wacky idea (using an 11-40 SunRace), which was recommended to me by the mechanic at my LBS, is a $62 part; not cheap but also not outrageously expensive.
Ask the mechanic if your derailleur will be able to handle a 42T. If he says yes, give it a try. Like I said above, might need a new longer chain too.

It is possible that the derailleur might not take up all the slack if you use the smallest chainring and smallest sprockets, but if you lose a gear or two those are cross chained gears that you probably should avoid anyway. I say this because I use a road triple with an aftermarket 24T chainring and when I use that on an 11/32 cassette, I can't use two gears because my derailleur will not take up all the slack. But I have not let that bother me, have used that gearing for over 10 years.

If the new cassette works, don't throw away the old chain and sprocket, you might want those for around home use and then switch to the wide range for touring. But use the new setup long enough to know with certainty that mechanically it will work on a tour before you switch back to the old parts.
Old 12-05-16, 09:51 AM
Jbarcs

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Do budget cab and /or bus fare for, when the things you cannot fix, break.

I chose simple reliable stuff, myself , being an Old realistic person.

Park the bling bike where you live to show off to your mates, tour on something else..

Well isn't that a daisy. Very helpful post. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.