Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mikado Cyclotoureur

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 08:20 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Mikado Cyclotoureur

Is this bike worth $270 CAD to do long distance touring.

Bikes comes with all the accessories lol.Cannondale front bag
• Rear aluminum luggage rack
• Bottle holder
• Zefal HP pump
• Bike stand
• Straps for feet
• Reflectors

It has 27 inch wheels, which I think will need to be changed if I do touring on it and has 12 speed and is 22.75 inches. I obviously do not neither accessories. Owner is getting old and bike has mostly in the basement last 20 years except few rides and tune up. I have seen other Mikado Cyclotoureur but with 3x drivetrain. I found another place selling the frame and fork https://recycliste.ca/en/bikes/used/...lotoureur.html for $250. I think I am getting a good deal but not sure if the parts are any good

Last edited by Frenzen; 06-08-22 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-09-22, 05:50 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I wouldn't be doing grand Touring on this bicycle. The gearing isn't wide enough.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-09-22, 06:40 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
It looks like the brake pads are all the way down in the slot -- you might have an issue with fitting 700c wheels -- get a measurement on reach and be sure a Tektro long reach will fit before buying. I'd also replace that crankset and bottom bracket with a triple for touring -- or at least replace the crankset with a compact double to get a bit lower gearing. The bike is not bad -- it's a nice sport touring bike -- but not ideal for loaded touring. Once you start adding costs of changing wheels and cranksets you might be better off passing on this and looking for a slighly newr 700c tourer, ideally with cantilever brakes and a triple, plus perhaps braze-ons for a front lowrider rack.
Old 06-09-22, 08:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I wouldn't be doing grand Touring on this bicycle. The gearing isn't wide enough.
It looks like that is a triple crank but the small ring has been removed - it was probably a 'half step plus granny' arrangement as was common BITD
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-09-22, 08:29 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Also, 27" wheels are fine if you have tires, and there are still a few decent 27" tires available. Another option, if you are dead set on swapping to 700c wheels, is to find some brakes with slightly longer reach. Modern dual-pivot caliper brakes are far superior to Weinmann centre pulls.
Old 06-09-22, 03:32 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
It looks like that is a triple crank but the small ring has been removed - it was probably a 'half step plus granny' arrangement as was common BITD
Good eyes! Blowing up the photo shows what appears to mounting holes for a granny chainring. Still, I think the Velo Sport Alpin that I pointed out in the OP's other thread is a better value, even though it's $100 CDN more expensive, It has triple crankset w/granny, cantilever brakes, dual bottle bosses, and comes equipped with front rack, rear rack and fenders. Both use the same frame material and were almost certainly manufactured by the same company.
Old 06-09-22, 05:18 PM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Good eyes! Blowing up the photo shows what appears to mounting holes for a granny chainring. Still, I think the Velo Sport Alpin that I pointed out in the OP's other thread is a better value, even though it's $100 CDN more expensive, It has triple crankset w/granny, cantilever brakes, dual bottle bosses, and comes equipped with front rack, rear rack and fenders. Both use the same frame material and were almost certainly manufactured by the same company.
The Alpin is a much nicer bike for sure, offered $200 for Alpin and $150 for this bike. I have yet to get a message from Alpin but OP for Mikado will think about it. I have nothing to lose but wait for the time being. Thanks for your input, appreciate it! Next time I will snatch an Alpin frame if I see it, being that I saw one for $25 a week ago although it was small, would have been a decent flip knowing what I know now lol.
Old 06-10-22, 06:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
In addition to what's been mentioned, if you want to turn this into a touring bike you'll probably want wider gears in the back, and that's a short-cage derailluer. So that will need to be changed as well. Frankly this bike doesn't look like a good candidate - too many changes need to be done to turn it into what you want.