Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone still waiting on a Kryptonite?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 06:43 AM
little5guy

Bikes: 95 GT Force, 95 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, 75 Takara fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still haven't received my pre-paid mailing label to return my Krpytonite lock? I called and was told something about my replacement still needs to be manufactured. Is anyone else still waiting on theirs? I am pretty darn angry about the whole thing. Ba*tards!
Old 12-24-04, 08:17 AM
MKRG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recieved an email stating that my shipping label has been made. I still haven't recieved the label. That was 3 weeks ago. I took the email to the UPS store and they basically told me to piss off. I haven't really had time to pursue matters with the holiday and the snow and work. I have high hopes for the new year.
Old 12-24-04, 08:22 AM
shiftlessbast-
how does it corner?

Bikes: De Bernardi track, Shogun fixie, Salvagetti 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my label 2 days ago. It was over three weeks from the time I got the email that the label was coming. Who knows how long I'll have to wait for the lock to ship.
Old 12-24-04, 08:40 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
It's going to take a long time to replace all the Kryptonite locks. I can't imagine it's even remotely possible in a few months. Factorys have limits. Budgets have limits. And I don't mean arbitrary limits, I mean real limits.

There are a lot of locks out there. It took a long time to make the locks that are already out there.
Old 12-24-04, 10:19 AM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
F Kryptonite...there are other locks. You think more would learn that a name does not protect you.
Think "Cheney" or "Rumsfeld" or "Bush"...maybe that is what Kryptonite should name the new line of locks: "Lots of flash, but nothing really gets done."
I should have been a marketer.
Old 12-24-04, 10:55 AM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by [165]
F Kryptonite...there are other locks. You think more would learn that a name does not protect you.
Think "Cheney" or "Rumsfeld" or "Bush"...maybe that is what Kryptonite should name the new line of locks: "Lots of flash, but nothing really gets done."
I should have been a marketer.
Maybe you should have been a manufacturing engineer, it's easier to understand the delays that way. I just mean there really is a lot to it. I think if you were in the place where they are being made you might see an incredible mad rush.
I know this does not help a bit if you need to lock up your bike and need a lock, that is a big problem. I guess there is no way out of buying another lock if you need it now,I can see how that's a problem.
Old 12-24-04, 11:08 AM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
whatever - underpromise, overdeliver. Not the other way around.
https://www.onguardlock.com/pitbull.html
Pitbull Mini, here I come.
Once I get (or should I say "If I get") my replacement Kryptonites, I will eBay them. Not worth the wait. ****** service for sure, esp when I placed my info weeks before people who have already had the very same locks replaced. Nice ****ing logic. I hope they lose the house on this.
Old 12-24-04, 11:14 AM
auroch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't need a degree in manufacturing engineering to know waiting this long
for a solution to krypto's f-up is excessive. If they wanted to really make it
right they'd refund the money we spent on their defective locks.

165- I picked up my new OnGuard from Rapid Transit and it rules.

jeff

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Maybe you should have been a manufacturing engineer, it's easier to understand the delays that way. I just mean there really is a lot to it. I think if you were in the place where they are being made you might see an incredible mad rush.
I know this does not help a bit if you need to lock up your bike and need a lock, that is a big problem. I guess there is no way out of buying another lock if you need it now,I can see how that's a problem.
Old 12-24-04, 11:18 AM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
indeed.
well stated
Old 12-24-04, 11:23 AM
TimArchy

Bikes: Zeus (Razesa) tarck, Giant TCR road, Eddy Merckx road, Fuji Touring Series IV for everything else

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't give a crap about the name on my lock. all I know is that the one that says kryptonite is going to be free and the one that says OnGuard is $40.

I just want my new freaking locks!!!!!
I'm like the only person I know who hasn't recieved their shipping labels.

tim
Old 12-24-04, 11:25 AM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
those onguard locks are nuts. now i must have one. 14mm chain? ha.
Old 12-24-04, 12:03 PM
ostro
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimArchy
I'm like the only person I know who hasn't recieved their shipping labels.

tim
i too am waiting for my labels.
Old 12-24-04, 12:21 PM
2manybikes

Originally Posted by stickerguy
I don't need a degree in manufacturing engineering to know waiting this long
for a solution to krypto's f-up is excessive. If they wanted to really make it
right they'd refund the money we spent on their defective locks.

165- I picked up my new OnGuard from Rapid Transit and it rules.

jeff
I'd be angry at Kryptonite too if I needed my lock every day. I have no problem with that. I’m still waiting too.

I am amazed that you know how long it takes to make and ship all the replacement locks and that you know all the possible problems. Wow! How long do we all have to wait?
How does one get this information? I am a manufacturing engineer and I don't know. Very impressive.

Also, how much would it cost Kryptonite to give everyone a refund? Can they afford that?
How did you know that? wow! Good idea! Sounds like you have a lot of potential in finance too.
Old 12-24-04, 12:28 PM
nocoins
Philly bike nerd

Bikes: 2003 Fuji Track Bike,Pink Univega, Mixed part BMX, Early 70's Columbia Tandem, Orange and Cream Fixed gear Pursuit bike (Puig), random bikes made from spare parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received my "label" email about 2 months ago, still nothing. After the holidays I am going to go and buy an OnGaurd Lock... thanks for the info... I cant wait on this garbage anymore.
Old 12-24-04, 12:47 PM
little5guy

Bikes: 95 GT Force, 95 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, 75 Takara fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my conversations with Kryptonite, the replacement locks are *not* sent out in the order in which the replacement requests were received. Instead, the replacements are sent out in the order they happen to have be stocked/manufactured. So all those of us who obediently sent in our serial numbers and replacement requests on the day the program began were wasting our time. And what is even cooler, when you call their office they tell you the lock should ship within 3 weeks. I am on my third 3 week request. Great.
Old 12-24-04, 02:28 PM
Wierd Beard
supertramp

Bikes: Custom Bob Jackson, GT mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't recieved my label either. And I've had no e-mails for about two months. Checked the website and apparently they're not even close to thinking about maybe fulfilling european orders........

165 - you should've been a marketer. I think I'm gonna try to get one of those mini's!
Old 12-24-04, 02:38 PM
iamjberube
idée fixée

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just tracked my lock, it was delivered to kryptonite on the 20th. now i wait.
Old 12-24-04, 03:58 PM
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [165]
whatever - underpromise, overdeliver. Not the other way around.
https://www.onguardlock.com/pitbull.html
Pitbull Mini, here I come.
Once I get (or should I say "If I get") my replacement Kryptonites, I will eBay them. Not worth the wait. ****** service for sure, esp when I placed my info weeks before people who have already had the very same locks replaced. Nice ****ing logic. I hope they lose the house on this.
i'm with you F kryptonite, i picked up a new pitbull mini yesterday plus i grabbed their 10mm chain a couple of weeks back...i just couldn't wait around any longer...

i just remember reading in the original your bike is not safe thread ...that some prick got 5 of their locks replaced....thats what's making us that only sent in 1 (mine) or 2 (girlfriends') have to wait around...i have even seen a couple of the replacement locks up on craigslist for sale for $30-40 bucks...some people just try and take advantage of anytype of situation they can, no matter how many people get F' over in the process
Old 12-24-04, 04:05 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wierd Beard
165 - you should've been a marketer.
I cannot be one of those. I have a soul...
Old 12-24-04, 04:06 PM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but I thought Skit bought it for a nickel.
Old 12-24-04, 04:07 PM
South Fulcrum
I Voted for the Green M&M

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my new lock months ago. I had no problems and I love my new lock. It is much better than the On Guard that I got to have in the mean time. I'm very happy with Kryptonite.
Old 12-24-04, 04:26 PM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I've already bought a new lock to use with my chain, but I'm sure as hell going to bug Kryptonite until I get a new lock out of them. I'm not about to let them just not give me the lock they owe me.
Old 12-24-04, 10:15 PM
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a few things:

right now, as a bike shop employee, i believe there is absolutely no reason that any shops should return to carrying kryptonite locks once they're finished taking care of the people who already own them. OnGuard locks are an acceptable alternative.

that said, their "14mm" chain has a lot more slack in it than kryptonite's 12mm NYC faghettaboutit chain, slack that could be used to potentially jam something in and pry it apart...also, the rep. from topeak for the bay area is a lying sack of **** when it comes to talking about the OnGuard locks. also, also, we've had the keyways on at least two shop locks (OnGuard Bulldog LS) freeze or jam on us in the last two weeks. WE GOT THEM UNJAMMED AND THEY ARE FUNCTIONING WELL RIGHT NOW. but it was a pain in the ass, and something that i can imagine a customer freaking the hell out over. haven't heard any complaints from any other customers about the functionality of the onguards...plent of people complain about the sheer fugliness, and the unecessary weight of the shackle of them though. that big, bulky oversized to the point of ridiculousness shackle does absolutely nothing to prevent thieves from breaking those locks.

i also own a brand spankin' new kyrpto EV2000 mini, and the krypto faghettaboutit chain. but i am by no means a huge fan or supporter of kryptonite over OnGuard. i'm going to strongly encourage my bosses to not carry their locks when they become available to us, even though they signed a contract to be kryptonite "Elite" dealers at interbike.
Old 12-25-04, 10:00 AM
auroch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be angry at Kryptonite too if I needed my lock every day. I have no problem with that. I’m still waiting too.
not so much angry as peaved. of course I start throwing stuff when I get annoyed so whatever.

I am amazed that you know how long it takes to make and ship all the replacement locks and that you know all the possible problems.
I. Know. Everything. That's right...Everything.

Wow! How long do we all have to wait?
How does one get this information? I am a manufacturing engineer and I don't know.
My post refers to my views in customer service. My solution had zero to do with manufacturing engineering (I said they should give us a refund). I am very glad you are a manufacturing engineer. Trust me when I say that me NOT being a manufacturing engineer is a good thing. You don't want to be associated with myself since I am a consultant *shudder* Good luck & enjoy your break from engineering manufacturables during the holidays.

Very impressive.
Thanks

Also, how much would it cost Kryptonite to give everyone a refund? Can they afford that? How did you know that? wow! Good idea! Sounds like you have a lot of potential in finance too.
It would cost not much compared to how much they made in 2003. Which is 9,876 dollars. oh wait times 1,000,000 I always **** up those decimal points (finance here I come!). Yup thats 9,876 million dollars. so I'm going to go out on a limb and say they can take the hit and more importanly I don't care if they do.

To sum up: Kryptonite sucks. Ingersoll-Rand sucks. and waiting for Christmas to get moving also sucks. Bikeforums.net rules. and hopefully I too will have 2manybikes post-holidays. Cheers!

jeff

If you see this man ask about my lock refund
(Herbie Henkel CEO of Ingersoll-Rand parent of Kryptonite)
Old 12-25-04, 12:28 PM
2manybikes

To sum up: Kryptonite sucks. Ingersoll-Rand sucks. and waiting for Christmas to get moving also sucks. Bikeforums.net rules. and hopefully I too will have 2manybikes post-holidays. Cheers!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree.....

You paid top dollar for a lock. It is needed for security. (You really can't leave your bike unlocked) You should have in your hands either enough refund money to buy another lock, or a new Kryptonite lock RIGHT NOW. I hope this gets fixed quickly somehow.

I hope you do have 2manybikes post holidays.

Happy Holidays to you too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.