Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Would this Univega Arrow Pace Be a Good Fixie Candidate?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 08:45 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

So it's an 80's road bike. Has some sort of derailleur issues. $40. Maybe less. I thought makimg it a fixie would be a cool winter project. Don't I need horizontal dropouts though? Any other reason not to try this?

Old 10-27-21, 08:49 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
In my opinion it is not a good candidate. The dropouts are horizontal but very short.

Old 10-27-21, 09:07 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by TugaDude
In my opinion it is not a good candidate. The dropouts are horizontal but very short.

Thanks so much! You saved me $40 and a 2 hour drive. Thanks!
Old 10-27-21, 09:15 AM
TugaDude

By the way, that is a very nice bike, just not one I'd buy if I wanted to convert to fixed gear. Someone is going to get a nice bike.
Old 10-27-21, 09:40 AM
RoadWearier

Maybe I should go pick it up. He'd take $25. I just don't know what's wrong with the derailleurs. He said the front works but the back doesn't "shift on the fly." Whatever that means.
Old 10-27-21, 09:56 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Maybe I should go pick it up. He'd take $25. I just don't know what's wrong with the derailleurs. He said the front works but the back doesn't "shift on the fly." Whatever that means.
Go get it at that price. It would be a nice bike to learn maintenance on. It is likely that there is nothing wrong with the derailer. it might be a cable issue or the limit screws aren't set properly. It is like when a bike doesn't stop properly and the uninitiated suspects it might need "new brakes". This is rarely the case. But what might be true is it needs new pads or it might just be an adjustment issue.

Univega imported some really nice bikes back in the day. That particular one indicates it is a "Ben Lawee Design" and that is a good thing. If it is in good shape, you could either ride it as a geared bike or flip it and make a profit. That is, if you can get it that cheap.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univega

Last edited by TugaDude; 10-27-21 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-27-21, 10:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Hope you're at least six feet tall. That's a pretty big frame size.

[Edit] You say you're 5' 10" with short legs in a previous thread, so maybe not a great fit for you. Still, if it's in good shape (wheels run true and have no dents, etc.) and the derailleur problem (if there is one) can be fixed easily, you could probably sell it for at least $100. Lengthy drive for a bike that doesn't fit, though.

Last edited by Trakhak; 10-27-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 07:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
If your derailleur is brokie, you should fixie it. However I wouldn't turn the bike into a fixed gear or single speed.