Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone running tubulars?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Anyone running tubulars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 01:52 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Have you ever had a brass nipple fail ?
I'm not even sure. But broken nipples are such a rare event that it's not even a consideration for me, especially on a wheel with 28+ spokes. To be honest I would have selected brass but I wanted some blue ones for a little bling.
Old 08-04-21, 02:10 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by roadfix
My first serious road bike I bought in 1973 came with sew ups. I had no idea what they were at the time, they came on a Raleigh Competition.
In June '87 my uncle who was serious into cycling let me borrow one of his bikes and took me on a ride. It was an '83 Peugeot PX10 with the stock tubulars. I was hooked for life he gave me that bike. He taught me how to glue and repair them and that was all I rode until '91. Then I bought a new Cannondale and the shop owner let me swap out the stock clinchers for a tubular wheelset he had. I never owned clinchers until a few years later. The clincher tires today are amazing but if higher end bikes still came with tubulars I'd be happy.

I have a '17 Diamondback Podium carbon disc bike and after I get these Paul wheels I'm going to order another set from PWB. Kinlin TB20 Disc with 105 hubs and Laser spokes will be less than $400. I almost ordered them first but I'm riding my Wabi most of the time.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 11-10-21, 02:53 AM
Lazyass

Got them in yesterday. I'm the worst picture taker on the planet but they're beautiful. Tires won't be here till Friday.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 11-17-21, 04:44 PM
Bianchi pc
Quixote

Bikes: Bianchi Pista Concept 05, Level 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Those shiny Paul hubs are beauties.

I have been tubular curious for a while now.

Anyone here have any experience or opinions on all the new tubular tapes that are popping up? Rene from track supermarket says at their shop they use Miyata brand on their tubular bikes and Carogna has gotten some praise around the web but there seems to be a sharp divide in appreciation amongst the c&v bike forum crowd.

Last edited by Bianchi pc; 11-17-21 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Wrote wrong brand
Old 11-18-21, 02:38 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Bianchi pc
Those shiny Paul hubs are beauties.

I have been tubular curious for a while now.

Anyone here have any experience or opinions on all the new tubular tapes that are popping up? Rene from track supermarket says at their shop they use Miyata brand on their tubular bikes and Carogna has gotten some praise around the web but there seems to be a sharp divide in appreciation amongst the c&v bike forum crowd.
I've never used tape and probably never will but from everything I've read Cargona is the best. If I ever do decide to try tape that's what I'll use.
Likes For Lazyass: