Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shift cable routing on Giant Sedona

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-21, 10:03 AM
Gym123456

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm in the middle of setting up a Giant Sedona that I bought recently- it hadn't been maintained particularly well, so I'm doing the clean/lube and replacing cables & housings. The housing at the rear derailleur is very short, arches to the outside and because someone seems to have laid it on concrete on the drive side, the plastic sheath was worn through. Don't know the previous owner, so I don't know if they fell, but it's not badly damaged so I don't think so.

The problem: the housing feeds into the rear derailleur from the front and when the mec is moved through the gears, the housing passes directly in front of the axle, which means that mounting the bike on a trainer causes problems. Does anyone make a part that acts like a brake cable noodle, to allow a gently bend in the cable in order to clear the axle?

The bike was upside-down when the photo was taken, but I rotated it for posting.

Thanks

Old 12-06-21, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Did Giant offer a Sedona with that SRAM DR on it? If so, try to google up a picture of one and see how much bend and slack they had.

Otherwise turn the bike right side up, put the rear DR in both the small and large cog a see what looks to give you the best length that doesn't get pulled out of shape between the two positions.
Old 12-06-21, 10:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
The problem is because the der and cable routing wasn't designed around riding on a trainer. Bike brands typically think their bikes and parts will be ridden outside and not on a trainer (although this is a great moment to consider a set of rollers). One more example of otherwise well working stuff that when combined don't work as well. There are many other examples of accessories that don't fit some bikes and their components (fenders, racks, lights...)

Follow Iride01's advice. Another trick, that no one thinks of, is to make the casing loop a 360* one. Yes, a full circular shaped loop, maybe 5" across. This will change the entry/exit angles of the casing and the der /frame stop and will provide far more casing to flex and shape itself about the offending trainer end cap. Andy
Old 12-06-21, 10:50 AM
Gym123456

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The problem is because the der and cable routing wasn't designed around riding on a trainer. Bike brands typically think their bikes and parts will be ridden outside and not on a trainer (although this is a great moment to consider a set of rollers). One more example of otherwise well working stuff that when combined don't work as well. There are many other examples of accessories that don't fit some bikes and their components (fenders, racks, lights...)

Follow Iride01's advice. Another trick, that no one thinks of, is to make the casing loop a 360* one. Yes, a full circular shaped loop, maybe 5" across. This will change the entry/exit angles of the casing and the der /frame stop and will provide far more casing to flex and shape itself about the offending trainer end cap. Andy
I'm in the Milwaukee area- AFAIK, the main trail close to my house isn't plowed and I avoid riding on streets because everyone drives like idiots. Also, more than 9200 cars have been stolen in MKE just this year and they often run from the police, so I don't want to be tiddley-winked off of the street. 9200 is worse than Chicago.

Anyway, I messed up my knee in June and don't want to ride on slippery surfaces, so I need to use the trainer. Thanks- the loop is a good idea- cables aren't so expensive that I can't have one for the trainer and one for actual riding.

And to think that in my work (Audio/Video, networking and home theater), we call that a 'service loop'. Never entered my mind. DOH!

Last edited by Gym123456; 12-06-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-06-21, 11:00 AM
Gym123456

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did Giant offer a Sedona with that SRAM DR on it? If so, try to google up a picture of one and see how much bend and slack they had.

Otherwise turn the bike right side up, put the rear DR in both the small and large cog a see what looks to give you the best length that doesn't get pulled out of shape between the two positions.
It has a SRAM 5.0- the housings look original- not sure why they decided to use a front entrance, though- most of the DRs I see have it looped over the top and coming in from behind. As you can see from the photo, the plastic sheath is pretty messed up and the cable actually came out while I shifted on the trainer.

Here's a couple of photos from BBB of the model I have and as you can see, the cable passes across the axle in the first, but the second shows it arched over the top and around the back. The trainer is a Blackburn and it's about the same age as the bike, so maybe they had a lot of complaints?

https://cdn.bicyclebluebook.com/bike...edona%20DX.jpg

https://cdn.bicyclebluebook.com/bikepedia/494366_0.jpg

This shows totally different cable routing- mine has the rear brake cable on the horizontal tube and the shift cables on the down tube-

https://www.sefiles.net/images/libra...ed_fa_10_z.jpg
Likes For Gym123456:
Old 12-06-21, 11:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Gym123456- I lived in Cleveland, at one time the city with the most cars stolen per capita. Cleveland also has a road salt mine only a few miles offshore (in Lake Erie) so they sp[read road salt around like it's sand in the Sharar desert.

Here in Rochester the bike and hike paths are not plowed and generally are far more slippery for far longer than the roads are. But we all make our own risk judgements and need to be good with the possible results.

I have had very little complaints of der cable/trainer stand conflicts. The most "common" is on Shimano der bikes by routing the casing under the axle clamp cap which is easily corrected. With the common rear axle clamping trainer stands usually there's no interferences of real consequence. Now those BB supported versions of the 1980s... Andy
Old 12-06-21, 11:54 AM
Gym123456

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Gym123456- I lived in Cleveland, at one time the city with the most cars stolen per capita. Cleveland also has a road salt mine only a few miles offshore (in Lake Erie) so they sp[read road salt around like it's sand in the Sharar desert.

Here in Rochester the bike and hike paths are not plowed and generally are far more slippery for far longer than the roads are. But we all make our own risk judgements and need to be good with the possible results.

I have had very little complaints of der cable/trainer stand conflicts. The most "common" is on Shimano der bikes by routing the casing under the axle clamp cap which is easily corrected. With the common rear axle clamping trainer stands usually there's no interferences of real consequence. Now those BB supported versions of the 1980s... Andy
MKE buys salt every Winter and sometimes, they don't use all of it, so the excess is sold off to other communities. I think I'll take a few photos next time I drive past- the mounds are pretty impressive.

The other problem here is the condition of the roads and MKE has been at/near the top of the list for 'US Cities with Worst Roads' and that's where it is in the link, which contains: "Minor arterials in poor condition: 100.0%"-

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...e-worst-roads/
Old 12-06-21, 08:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Gym123456
MKE buys salt every Winter and sometimes, they don't use all of it, so the excess is sold off to other communities. I think I'll take a few photos next time I drive past- the mounds are pretty impressive.

The other problem here is the condition of the roads and MKE has been at/near the top of the list for 'US Cities with Worst Roads' and that's where it is in the link, which contains: "Minor arterials in poor condition: 100.0%"-
The salt piles at Jones Island are owned by a few of salt companies like Cargil, Morton and North American, not the city. The city doesn't sell salt to anyone.
The Oak Leaf by my house (NW side) is plowed, screws up my XC skiing.
Old 12-07-21, 12:05 PM
Gym123456

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
The salt piles at Jones Island are owned by a few of salt companies like Cargil, Morton and North American, not the city. The city doesn't sell salt to anyone.
The Oak Leaf by my house (NW side) is plowed, screws up my XC skiing.
Thanks for the clarification.

How far West? I think it's a moot point in my case, because I'm not a fan of riding outside in Winter. Last time I rode toward the North, I started at Mequon Rd and went to Hwy C. I'll work my way farther North when the weather and my knee improve.

I made a loop and it doesn't seem to bind- I'll come up with a way to support it, to prevent kinks.

Thanks

Last edited by Gym123456; 12-07-21 at 12:10 PM.