Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mercier Kilo s3x. Worth it?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 11:31 PM
Parabolous

Bikes: Always

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at the Mercier Kilo s3x and wondering if it would be worth getting the 3-speed if I switch out the cog for a freewheel. Does anyone have any experience with this bike or 3-speed internal hubs?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...kilott_s3x.htm

I would be using the bike for commuting and I'm not sure if the 3-speed makes that much of a difference. Input is appreciated! Thanks all!

Old 03-27-11, 06:15 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, a 3 speed will offer some advantage over a single speed. How far you are riding, how strong a rider you are, and what the terrain looks like will all affect how much benefit you'll see from 3 speeds instead of just one but there is almost sure to be some benefit.

If you want a multi-speed freewheeling bike just get the Oxford which comes with a freewheeling 3 speed. this bike also has fenders and bigger tires which would be nice for commuting.

-Or-

The WT5 which has a freewheeling 5 speed IGH.

Getting the 3-speed fixed hub to put a freewheel on it is buying an airplane to get free peanuts. It'll work but there are more efficient ways to accomplish the same goal.
Old 03-27-11, 12:21 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
Yes, a 3 speed will offer some advantage over a single speed. How far you are riding, how strong a rider you are, and what the terrain looks like will all affect how much benefit you'll see from 3 speeds instead of just one but there is almost sure to be some benefit.

If you want a multi-speed freewheeling bike just get the Oxford which comes with a freewheeling 3 speed. this bike also has fenders and bigger tires which would be nice for commuting.

-Or-

The WT5 which has a freewheeling 5 speed IGH.

Getting the 3-speed fixed hub to put a freewheel on it is buying an airplane to get free peanuts. It'll work but there are more efficient ways to accomplish the same goal.
Wow, thank you for your help and the tips on the other bikes. I really appreciate it! My fixie that I commute on was just diagnosed with a misaligned frame so I was looking at another SS to ride. Depending on if I ride the streets I encounter more hills or the routes which is more flat the ride is about 6-7 miles back and forth. The hills aren't too bad and I get up them faster then my friend who rides a 10-speed Raleigh but in the summer months I develop knee pain and I hope the 3-speed or the 5 will help that.

Again, thank you for the input!
Old 03-27-11, 12:47 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck. Because the Oxford is new you might have a hard time finding much in the way of reviews but it looks like a solid package at a good price from a known (and generally well respected**) vendor. Even with the laid back geometry I still think 6-7 miles over varied terrain would be doable on this bike. If you wanted to make it more aggressive you could always swap out the handlebars for something more aggressive.

**before someone chimes in with the BD hate, most people's problems with them stem from customer service, not the quality of their products and there are many more satisfied customers than the vocal minority of BD-haters.
Old 03-27-11, 02:03 PM
Parabolous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
**before someone chimes in with the BD hate, most people's problems with them stem from customer service, not the quality of their products and there are many more satisfied customers than the vocal minority of BD-haters.
Ha I hear so many people complain about BD but from what I see a lot more people talk about the bikes they get from them and value the site. I am really interested in the Kilo WT5 but of course BD has sold out of all but one size and the size I am considering is sold. I have no idea when they get their stock back up but I hope it's not years or some crazy jazz.