Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why I love tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why I love tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-18, 04:40 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
When I lived in El Paso I might have been interested in tubeless because the wind blows all kinds of junk from the desert onto the roads. But it doesn't take but a couple of minutes to change a flat. I had Slime tubes once and they sucked, the valve stem kept clogging up. Threw them away after a couple of weeks. The only sealant I use now is Stans for my tubulars.
Old 10-04-18, 05:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
whats wrong with mavic wheel sets they cheap and work , maybe i run my pro ones at too high a PSI and it causes flats , ive said before tubeless is great for cross or mtb at lower psis its almost a must now , but its really hard to run ROAD TUBELESS , lack of products being the main issue ...
The biggest drawback to the Mavic tubeless system is that it doesn't necessarily play well with other tubeless products, so you're essentially locked in to their limited ecosystem (in addition, a lot of people are generally put off by their proprietary stuff which is harder to repair/replace).
Old 10-04-18, 08:27 AM
bobones

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The biggest drawback to the Mavic tubeless system is that it doesn't necessarily play well with other tubeless products, so you're essentially locked in to their limited ecosystem (in addition, a lot of people are generally put off by their proprietary stuff which is harder to repair/replace).
To counter this, I recently built a set of wheels using Mavic Open Pro UST rims and 2 rounds of tubeless rim tape and I was able to mount my tyres (Maxxis Padrone) by hand without levers, and inflate them first time with a track pump. This is the way it should be. If Mavic UST rims are manufactured to reliably tight tolerances and tyre manufacturers make tyres to fit the Mavic UST standard then easier fitting tubeless tyres should become the norm. Hutchinson make a large range of road tubeless tyres including those that Mavic brand as their own, so it's not all that limited an ecosystem.
Old 10-04-18, 08:54 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bobones
To counter this, I recently built a set of wheels using Mavic Open Pro UST rims and 2 rounds of tubeless rim tape and I was able to mount my tyres (Maxxis Padrone) by hand without levers, and inflate them first time with a track pump. This is the way it should be. If Mavic UST rims are manufactured to reliably tight tolerances and tyre manufacturers make tyres to fit the Mavic UST standard then easier fitting tubeless tyres should become the norm.
I've never had to use levers to mount a tire, tubeless or not, but yeah, when standards are decided upon by multiple players, it'll be a good thing, the problem is getting the kids to decide on which sandbox to play in.

Originally Posted by bobones
Hutchinson make a large range of road tubeless tyres including those that Mavic brand as their own, so it's not all that limited an ecosystem.
And which of Hutchison's tires are UST? They make a decent number of tubeless/tubeless ready tires, which seem to get pretty mixed reviews from what I've seen, but I'm not aware of any with the UST label. Maybe this has changed, but if not, the fact that Hutch makes Mavic's tires doesn't mean that they make their own tires to Mavic's standards. Frankly, even if they do have UST-compliant tires, that's still a limited ecosystem.
Old 10-04-18, 09:14 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a set of Cosmic Carbon Pro UST and I had nothing but problems with the Mavic (Hutchinson) tires. Had multiple flats with the sealant not sealing the tires. Finally got rid of them and also went with Maxxis Padrones. Have not had an issue since. The wheels are awesome, the tires.. Not so much.
Old 10-04-18, 12:52 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I was one of the problem children with my Hutchison Fusion's circa 2015 I think so I'm sure they've improved. Probably the most difficult tire installation I had ever had with tubeless and I've never really had any problems. They were also the first set of tires that I've owned where I could actually tell a difference from one tire type to the other. They felt heavy, and jarring. Total yucksville, I think I didn't even ride them through 600 miles before I just replaced them because it was bothering me so much. Again though, I'm sure that they make much better tires now, it's just that I like the selection of others more.
Old 10-04-18, 10:28 PM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried Hutchinson branded tires and they didn't play well with any of my tubeless Roval or Mavic wheels. The Mavic branded tires just always worked.

Hutchinson claims that they use "Road Tubeless", which is not the UST standard that Mavic started.

People say that they are the same, but they actually seem to fit differently.
Old 10-19-18, 02:12 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thats my main issue when my pro ones work they are great and fast , but when they get a whole the only way to seal it is to dismount and put a patch on the inside , and thats a pain .
Old 10-19-18, 06:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
When I lived in El Paso I might have been interested in tubeless because the wind blows all kinds of junk from the desert onto the roads. But it doesn't take but a couple of minutes to change a flat. I had Slime tubes once and they sucked, the valve stem kept clogging up. Threw them away after a couple of weeks. The only sealant I use now is Stans for my tubulars.
when I was in El Paso I ended up using heavy thorn resistant tubes and 2 layers of me Tuffy in order to stop getting flats. Ahhhh the 80’s.

Tubeless or not ends up being a holy war for no reason with too many people. It’s not a religion. It’s not perfect or even close to perfect either. It’s as flawed as any other system. It has its uses and applications where it makes sense. It isn’t every application though. Sorry.

For sealants I have been on orange endurance for a long time. Not just as a user but in having to service a ton of wheels of all types. Just don’t forget - cool tire stuff = actually having to keep an eye on it . Check your sealant level often. Manufacturer guidelines are usually in the every 6-8 week range.
Old 10-19-18, 08:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If I had serious flat issues I would probably just run tubes with removable cores, like the Conti Race, and carry a little 2oz bottle of Stan's in my jersey pocket. I know for a fact it works great with tubulars. Squeeze in half the bottle, air it up and go. Clinchers should be no different.
Old 10-19-18, 06:40 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
A tubeless tire with 3 holes in it stopped from leaking air by the sealant is good. Now, do you have to patch the tire at some point or just let it ride and hope the sealant continues to hold?
Old 10-19-18, 08:32 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
A tubeless tire with 3 holes in it stopped from leaking air by the sealant is good. Now, do you have to patch the tire at some point or just let it ride and hope the sealant continues to hold?
I've never had to patch a puncture that successfully sealed (and the only punctures that I've had that have failed to seal were from slashes that would have totaled the tire regardless).
Old 10-23-18, 05:15 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Anyone use those Dynaplugs, or the Genuine Innovation repair kits?
Old 10-23-18, 05:26 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Anyone use those Dynaplugs, or the Genuine Innovation repair kits?
Have used both. However by far the better kit is the Dynaplug one. Just be careful when you order replacement plugs on say Amazon and get the ones made for bicycles. The first set of replacement plugs I ordered were too long and had tom cut them. To me the bacon strips in the Genuine Innovation kit are a PIA.
Old 10-23-18, 05:36 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Have used both. However by far the better kit is the Dynaplug one. Just be careful when you order replacement plugs on say Amazon and get the ones made for bicycles. The first set of replacement plugs I ordered were too long and had tom cut them. To me the bacon strips in the Genuine Innovation kit are a PIA.
Thanks. Pretty expensive though. Works OK with road tyres?
Old 10-23-18, 05:55 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Thanks. Pretty expensive though. Works OK with road tyres?
Worth every penny and then some. The fix is less than 5 minutes with wheel on the bike and holds the remaining life of the tyre. I currently have 3 in my rear tyre with about 1500 miles on them. I know bad luck but someone thought it would be fun breaking a light bulb on the trail when when my tyres had about 50 mile son them.
Old 10-23-18, 06:06 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
Worth every penny and then some. The fix is less than 5 minutes with wheel on the bike and holds the remaining life of the tyre. I currently have 3 in my rear tyre with about 1500 miles on them. I know bad luck but someone thought it would be fun breaking a light bulb on the trail when when my tyres had about 50 mile son them.
Thanks again. Buy from Amazon? I dont live in the US, and that would be convenient, unless some place else is cheaper.
Old 10-23-18, 09:53 AM
DowneasTTer

Thanks again. Buy from Amazon? I dont live in the US, and that would be convenient, unless some place else is cheaper.
Sorry just got back from my morning ride. When I was looking Amazon had the best price. You might also order a spare set of plugs at the same time as shipping take awhile.. Good luck.
Old 11-14-18, 10:07 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by pdoege
Yeah, I have them. They work great. Using Mavic's wheels and tires together means that you can mount the tires with your hands and they seal using a normal floor pump.

This makes roadside repairs, booting, and inflation very easy and very low stress.
I'm looking at going with a set of Mavic USTs, from reading here I'll pick up a Dynaplug kit, $25 on Amazon, not bad. Can you boot a tubeless tire? I'm new to all of this, and from what I've read, booting is a patch between the tube and tire, will a patch stay on the tire without a tube to hold it in place? Just wondering if I should carry some patches with the plug kit?
Old 11-14-18, 10:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I'm looking at going with a set of Mavic USTs, from reading here I'll pick up a Dynaplug kit, $25 on Amazon, not bad. Can you boot a tubeless tire? I'm new to all of this, and from what I've read, booting is a patch between the tube and tire, will a patch stay on the tire without a tube to hold it in place? Just wondering if I should carry some patches with the plug kit?
Are you talking about booting as a means to continue a ride/limp home with a cut that won't seal? If so, yes, you can boot it, but you would do so with a tube. If you want to be a self-sufficient rider, going tubeless doesn't meaningfully change the the stuff that you carry - you still want your multi-tool, tube, boot, pump, spare chain link, etc - but it does change the frequency with which you need to use that stuff.
Old 11-14-18, 11:05 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can boot it externally with a TB-2. There are other plug kits for poor people like the $10 Lezyne and the $7 genuine innovations.
Old 11-14-18, 11:15 AM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you boot a tubeless tire? I'm new to all of this, and from what I've read, booting is a patch between the tube and tire, will a patch stay on the tire without a tube to hold it in place? Just wondering if I should carry some patches with the plug kit?
I don't use plugs because they have pulled out. I superglue the holes shut and for very large holes slap a patch on the inside. All during the ride. I've never switched to a tube during a ride, patches and superglue have always worked. I do carry a tube, mostly because my fellow riders are still using them.
Old 11-14-18, 12:31 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I don't use plugs because they have pulled out. I superglue the holes shut and for very large holes slap a patch on the inside. All during the ride. I've never switched to a tube during a ride, patches and superglue have always worked. I do carry a tube, mostly because my fellow riders are still using them.
So no sealant? Does super glues last or is it a just to finish the ride?
Old 11-14-18, 02:37 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are you talking about booting as a means to continue a ride/limp home with a cut that won't seal? If so, yes, you can boot it, but you would do so with a tube. If you want to be a self-sufficient rider, going tubeless doesn't meaningfully change the the stuff that you carry - you still want your multi-tool, tube, boot, pump, spare chain link, etc - but it does change the frequency with which you need to use that stuff.
Yup, wasn't sure if you could patch it without a tube, but looks like from pdoege's comment, maybe you can. I'll still carry a tube, just in case. Just need to find a thinner/more compact tube so I can fit the plug kit in my bag, it barely closes as it is.

Good to know. I want to make sure I have what I need to limp back home, but don't want to carry the whole shop with me. I got the smallest bag I could find, fits perfectly, don't want to have to carry any more than that. lol
Old 11-14-18, 04:15 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Dynaplug do not pull out, as they are anchored in by the insertion puncture end point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.