Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

C&O Canal Trail on a recumbent trike?

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 07:29 AM
jbithaca

Bikes: Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1, Honey Winterando (made by Seven), Litespeed Arenberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking to ride this trail with my wife. Did the GAP a few years ago. Have any of you ridden the trail in the last few years? My wife has MS and rides a recumbent trike and can ride up to about 35 miles a day. My question is how rough is the trail? Is it smooth like the GAP or does it have a lot of parallel single tracks with a grass/dirt crest? On a trike this makes riding a lot more difficult. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old 04-06-23, 07:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by jbithaca
Is it smooth like the GAP or does it have a lot of parallel single tracks with a grass/dirt crest? On a trike this makes riding a lot more difficult. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
A friend rode that stretch last year. He reported it to be a bit on the rough side, but not too bad for tires wider than 32s. His description of the parallel single tracks matches your concern. Having ridden that sort of path for short distances on my trike, I'd say that it would definitely be uncomfortable for your wife.

Conditions change though so hopefully someone with more recent knowledge can provide better knowledge.
Old 04-06-23, 01:14 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have not been on it in quite a while. I can say that the conditions change a fair amount from one section to another, and are very subject to the weather. As stated above, I can see it be a bit difficult for a rider such as your wife. I do not know the area well enough to give specifics, but do a search for bike shops that would be relatively close to the trail, They may be able to give more recent info. The last time I checked out a section, I did not ride it due to it being very wet.
Old 04-06-23, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Off topic, but I read recently that the NPS is no longer treating the water from several wells. Might want to check the official site to plan accordingly. I’m
Old 04-19-23, 07:13 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Off topic, but I read recently that the NPS is no longer treating the water from several wells. Might want to check the official site to plan accordingly. I’m
Can confirm, the wells now have big red tags that say non-potable :-(
Old 04-30-23, 05:19 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jbithaca
Looking to ride this trail with my wife. Did the GAP a few years ago. Have any of you ridden the trail in the last few years? My wife has MS and rides a recumbent trike and can ride up to about 35 miles a day. My question is how rough is the trail? Is it smooth like the GAP or does it have a lot of parallel single tracks with a grass/dirt crest? On a trike this makes riding a lot more difficult. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
I'm a few weeks late on responding to this. The C&O west of Hancock MD to Cumberland has not yet been changed over to the new stone mix. So you should expect sometimes it to be muddy and more challenging. There are still many spots that have the grass/dirt crest.

Hancock to Williamsport and a bit past, is better. Once you get about 6 miles from Shepherdstown, you will enjoy the new stone mixture that is very similar to the GAP.

I've seen many recumbent trike riders on the C&O, even before the trail's stones were changed over. It's doable, just have to watch out for rain on the western portion of the trail.

Hope you have a great ride!
Old 05-03-23, 01:45 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
It's doable "if" you don't get rain. (It turns into a mud fest, fast).