Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

mountain bike, GT aggressor, any good?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 02:42 PM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I found super deal on Dicks's 799$->299$.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...2FWet%20Cement
I went there and checked the bike, i was bit disappointed to say the least
- Gear up/down shifting knobs appears to have awkwardly placed: normally with my previous bike i use thumb and index fingers for it up/down but on this bike it is just use thumb all the time. Not sure if it is weird by any standard.
- store guy gave me some B.S., you should not fiddling with gears as these bike are prone to gear damage lol, if he was trying to sell the bike, he just did the opposite. I caught him on this and pressed further, that seems poor quality and he sort of become elusive.
Regardless of that, if any has owned, wondering what is their impressions? Normally the bikes sold at Dicks are generally much better brand/quality than Walmart/Target. On Dick's it has got rating of 3.8, sort of meehh.

GT Adult Aggressor Pro Mountain Bike

Old 12-03-23, 04:25 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
I’ve worked on them. They’re a hair higher quality than Walmart bikes. I suppose worth $300 for a new bike - certainly wouldn’t call it a super deal. I’d try to raise your budget if you’re looking for something to actually mountain bike with. Absolutely a ripoff at $800, assuming they ever were actually priced that high.
Old 12-03-23, 04:42 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Today great deals can be had on many new bikes but $300 is going to buy the lowest quality entry level bike. If that suits your needs then go for it but it will be relatively heavy and somewhat clunky. I suggest you test drive some higher quality bikes and see if you might want to spend a little more to get a better bike.
Old 12-03-23, 09:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
This is the mountain bike sub-forum just FYI. The bike is basically middle ground between wally-mart and the bottom end bike shop bike. It is not a mountain bike and nothing pro about it but as a hybrid bike it is mediocre at best. However if you are riding infrequently it is a bike.

At $800 a huge ripoff at the price it is now it is still a bit expensive but on par with similar type bikes.

In terms of shifting issues you never want to shift any bike when it is not moving with a standard derailleur that is normal for anything. However components like that aren't going to shift well ever. 8 speed came out in the late 80s early 90s for mountain bike stuff so we are 30 years on so the quality has only hit the bottom except for some IGH stuff and an oddball Microshift groupset that is a little better than current 8 speed stuff but nothing great.

Get a bike that makes sense for your riding. If you have intended to get a mountain bike budget yourself for a mountain bike. Look for something with air forks and Deore and above, hydraulic disc brakes and ideally look for something with thru-axles so it is up with modern standards should you want to upgrade something at some point but at least look for everything else. Generally the only quality coil forks are going to be something you buy separately and don't come on most bikes stock and they will cost as much as the GT was selling for not on sale or more.

Last edited by veganbikes; 12-04-23 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-03-23, 10:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I had no idea Microsoft made drivetrains.

Microshift, on the other hand ...
Old 12-03-23, 10:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Pretty much any used mountain bike for $300 will be 10X better.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-03-23, 10:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
I found super deal on Dicks's 799$->299$.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...2FWet%20Cement
I went there and checked the bike, i was bit disappointed to say the least
- Gear up/down shifting knobs appears to have awkwardly placed: normally with my previous bike i use thumb and index fingers for it up/down but on this bike it is just use thumb all the time. Not sure if it is weird by any standard.
- store guy gave me some B.S., you should not fiddling with gears as these bike are prone to gear damage lol, if he was trying to sell the bike, he just did the opposite. I caught him on this and pressed further, that seems poor quality and he sort of become elusive.
Regardless of that, if any has owned, wondering what is their impressions? Normally the bikes sold at Dicks are generally much better brand/quality than Walmart/Target. On Dick's it has got rating of 3.8, sort of meehh.

GT Adult Aggressor Pro Mountain Bike

They're not amazing bikes, but pretty good deal at $300. Worth about $500 IMO. Comparable to the Specialized Rockhopper 27.5, which retails for $600. Rockhopper probably has a slightly nicer frame and slightly nicer crankset.

Assembly quality can be hit or miss.

Here's the Specialized Rockhopper https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=319889-199591
Old 12-03-23, 10:37 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

And +1 on the advice to never shift a bike while it's standing still.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-03-23, 10:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by bboy314
I’ve worked on them. They’re a hair higher quality than Walmart bikes. I suppose worth $300 for a new bike - certainly wouldn’t call it a super deal. I’d try to raise your budget if you’re looking for something to actually mountain bike with. Absolutely a ripoff at $800, assuming they ever were actually priced that high.
They're almost perpetually "on sale" for $400-500.
Old 12-04-23, 11:55 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Wow, didn't realize GT was still making these. I bought one for my son at Performance Bikes want to say 8 years ago. It was 8 speed back then, but it had the older Shimano Acera.

Heh, the way my son rides now, don't think this would last him past the driveway before he would break it.

Will agree with others, it's good for rails to trails/hybrid style of riding, neighborhood rides.

The only single track I ever took him on with that bike when he was 11, was the one with the link below when I used to live in MD. If you plan on doing anything more than this you may want to save up money for a bit more of an upgraded bike. Wonder if the GT Avalanche is still being sold, will have to look. That was his next bike, which was able to handle more terrain.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...e-bennett-ride
Old 12-04-23, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I had no idea Microsoft made drivetrains.

Microshift, on the other hand ...
Stupid autocorrect.
Old 12-04-23, 12:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by travbikeman
Wow, didn't realize GT was still making these. I bought one for my son at Performance Bikes want to say 8 years ago. It was 8 speed back then, but it had the older Shimano Acera.

Heh, the way my son rides now, don't think this would last him past the driveway before he would break it.

Will agree with others, it's good for rails to trails/hybrid style of riding, neighborhood rides.

The only single track I ever took him on with that bike when he was 11, was the one with the link below when I used to live in MD. If you plan on doing anything more than this you may want to save up money for a bit more of an upgraded bike. Wonder if the GT Avalanche is still being sold, will have to look. That was his next bike, which was able to handle more terrain.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...e-bennett-ride
Yeah, they went to Microshift during the pandemic when everyone bought a bike, and it looks like they're gonna stick with MS for a while.

Avalanche is still at Dick's
Main upgrades on the Avalanche :
Better fork, hydraulic brakes, tubeless-ready rims (the Aggressor Pros might have them by now), 29" (for those that prefer bigger wheels)

Looks like they're $500 now.
Old 12-04-23, 12:11 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Actually, Microshift has essentially copied the push push shifting from SRAM shifters. It may seem weird at first, but it becomes much easier to ride after getting used to it. I've gotten so used to push push shifting from my prior Microshift Advant X and the SRAM system on my Genius, that my Deore system on my Trance, I don't even use my finger anymore to pull the shifter, since Shimano has the ability to shift push push or push pull style.

It's good for some of us that needs our fingers on our brakes, while the thumbs are for shifting.

Not sure about damaging gears, I've always known that shifting when the bike is not moving, will just stretch the cables and chain out.
Old 12-04-23, 12:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I still like my Shimano SLX better. You can push-push, OR trigger-push. I was amazed when I first touched a bike with that kind of shifter, I think it was an XT setup on a bike I was repairing, didn't even know about it I just accidentally pushed on the trigger lever - best thing ever.

Probably won't suit some die-hard push-push fans, as you have to stick your thumb in kinda far.
Old 12-04-23, 01:05 PM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I only read the first post, and since I rode my friend's current model GT aggressor I thought I'd give some feedback. I rode his bike when we switched bikes on the easy China Camp trails (San Rafael, CA). It is my friend's first mountain bike ever, he has a few fixie bikes he rides for exercise and around town. I was giving him guidance on various types of Mt bikes, types of drivetrains, etc. focused on hardtails. . to give him an idea of geared bikes which he wanted. Well, it didn't sink in. he bought a used Aggressor on Craigslist for $400. he was excited. I had to give some context.

So the bike is heavy, about 35lbs, for a size Large, 27.5 wheels. triple cranks. On the trail, it was not smooth, I did lower the tire pressure quite a bit. The basic coil fork is barely effective-the . Bars were narrow. So overall the ride was rough on a Green trail. So, with the non-tapered head tube, it would be tough to find a replacement fork. Swapping out the drivetrain to a 1x is possible to do for cheap finding some older or used cranks and derailed, but then shifters too. His shifter was what you expected though, index finger bull for higher gears. Mechanical disc brakes were fine. I would rate it 3 of 10.

Unless you were only using the bike to ride to go get coffee or errands, I'd suggest spending a bit more for a competent trail worthy mt bike. Since so many people are selling the bikes they bought during Covid and rode 3 times, I think the better deal is to buy a used entry-level hardtail for about $400-$500, where you wouldn't have to any change components and just ride.

Last edited by letrebici; 12-04-23 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-04-23, 01:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by letrebici
So, with the non-tapered head tube, it would be tough to find a replacement fork. .
Manitou Markhor are my favorite straight-steerer forks, but I have a feeling they've stopped making them. They haven't been in stock on Manitou's site for about a year now, but there are still several available in the retail pipeline.

Probably take 2.5-3 lbs of weight off the Aggressor.
Old 12-04-23, 02:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Stupid autocorrect.
Stupid Microsoft autocorrect. ;-)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-04-23, 08:30 PM
ggbo951a

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only read the first post, and since I rode my friend's current model GT aggressor I thought I'd give some feedback. I rode his bike when we switched bikes on the easy China Camp trails (San Rafael, CA). It is my friend's first mountain bike ever, he has a few fixie bikes he rides for exercise and around town. I was giving him guidance on various types of Mt bikes, types of drivetrains, etc. focused on hardtails. . to give him an idea of geared bikes which he wanted. Well, it didn't sink in. he bought a used Aggressor on Craigslist for $400. he was excited. I had to give some context.

So the bike is heavy, about 35lbs, for a size Large, 27.5 wheels. triple cranks. On the trail, it was not smooth, I did lower the tire pressure quite a bit. The basic coil fork is barely effective-the . Bars were narrow. So overall the ride was rough on a Green trail. So, with the non-tapered head tube, it would be tough to find a replacement fork. Swapping out the drivetrain to a 1x is possible to do for cheap finding some older or used cranks and derailed, but then shifters too. His shifter was what you expected though, index finger bull for higher gears. Mechanical disc brakes were fine. I would rate it 3 of 10.

Unless you were only using the bike to ride to go get coffee or errands, I'd suggest spending a bit more for a competent trail worthy mt bike. Since so many people are selling the bikes they bought during Covid and rode 3 times, I think the better deal is to buy a used entry-level hardtail for about $400-$500, where you wouldn't have to any change components and just ride.
Thanks, i would not mind too much about roughness of ride but more about quality specially shift. My previs bike was from REI and always had shifting problem specially to highest gear).
I will check on craigslist, what are known good brands: mountain, good quality and reasonable price. + disk brake is must.
Old 12-04-23, 09:02 PM
letrebici

Thanks, i would not mind too much about roughness of ride but more about quality specially shift. My previs bike was from REI and always had shifting problem specially to highest gear).
I will check on craigslist, what are known good brands: mountain, good quality and reasonable price. + disk brake is must.
Yeah, the shifter and derailleur are key, Shimano SLX is nice entry level. XT is primo and smooth, I use SRAM AXS on two bikes [outside of your price range]. If you can go to REI or a bike shop and try a few bikes with different level drivetrains/shifters. then you will know what your target is when looking on CL!

Trek, Giant, Specialized and Marin all have a few entry level models. All are great brands. There are others, of course. I can't recommend a specific hardtail model though. you will only see disc brakes on good bikes from the last five years or so. Entry level bikes will have mechanical cabled brakes and the better models will have hydraulic brakes. Good luck!
Old 12-04-23, 09:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
At that price point the bikes will be pretty much the same.
Old 12-04-23, 10:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
This bike is getting a lot of smearing but compared to most entry level bikes at a shop its a bargain. Entry level at a shop is now well over 300, won't have any difference in front suspension, will have 7sp, freewheel, and potentially lower or the same quality of shifters/derailleurs. For example
Here is trek's 530.00 piece of crap https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=greenlight sorry but tourney sucks big time at every level it comes in, microshift is worlds better.
You'll drop 600 on a specialized to roughly break even https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=319889-199591 note, same fork and also uses microshift 8sp.
Giant at 477.00 on sale is an improvement over trek https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-2022 but with 7sp freewheel, also using microshift, and
v-brakes.
300 for a GT coming out of the same/similar chinese factories, all using the same 28mm stanchion Suntour xce fork, and being 8sp with cassette which only specialized has on their lowest end which is also the highest priced of the low end hardtails the GT is nothing to turn up your nose at for a budget bike buyer. Although I wouldn't want to take it to the local black diamond, it and the specialized are the only ones with double wall rims making it one of the two more durable options. Only thing working against the GT in my opinion, is the fact that someone from Dicks put it together. I worked for the company for 4 months before moving on to a real shop and what people would put out on the floor as built would concern me greatly if it was my loved one riding it.

Yeah, the shifter and derailleur are key, Shimano SLX is nice entry level. XT is primo and smooth, I use SRAM AXS on two bikes [outside of your price range]. If you can go to REI or a bike shop and try a few bikes with different level drivetrains/shifters. then you will know what your target is when looking on CL!

Trek, Giant, Specialized and Marin all have a few entry level models. All are great brands. There are others, of course. I can't recommend a specific hardtail model though. you will only see disc brakes on good bikes from the last five years or so. Entry level bikes will have mechanical cabled brakes and the better models will have hydraulic brakes. Good luck!
Its only nice entry level if you have the money, otherwise its upper mid-level, since deore is usually true mid-level but there's still the high level XT and XTR above SLX. But if you're dropping the cash for MTB AXS components you've got the cash for SLX to be entry level. I've outfitted my 3 kids', road/cross bikes with Rival AXS and still consider the MTB versions to be shockingly and inexplicably over priced.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-04-23, 11:40 PM
letrebici

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This bike is getting a lot of smearing but compared to most entry level bikes at a shop its a bargain. Entry level at a shop is now well over 300, won't have any difference in front suspension, will have 7sp, freewheel, and potentially lower or the same quality of shifters/derailleurs. For example
Here is trek's 530.00 piece of crap https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=greenlight sorry but tourney sucks big time at every level it comes in, microshift is worlds better.
You'll drop 600 on a specialized to roughly break even https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=319889-199591 note, same fork and also uses microshift 8sp.
Giant at 477.00 on sale is an improvement over trek https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-2022 but with 7sp freewheel, also using microshift, and
v-brakes.
300 for a GT coming out of the same/similar chinese factories, all using the same 28mm stanchion Suntour xce fork, and being 8sp with cassette which only specialized has on their lowest end which is also the highest priced of the low end hardtails the GT is nothing to turn up your nose at for a budget bike buyer. Although I wouldn't want to take it to the local black diamond, it and the specialized are the only ones with double wall rims making it one of the two more durable options. Only thing working against the GT in my opinion, is the fact that someone from Dicks put it together. I worked for the company for 4 months before moving on to a real shop and what people would put out on the floor as built would concern me greatly if it was my loved one riding it.

Its only nice entry level if you have the money, otherwise its upper mid-level, since deore is usually true mid-level but there's still the high level XT and XTR above SLX. But if you're dropping the cash for MTB AXS components you've got the cash for SLX to be entry level. I've outfitted my 3 kids', road/cross bikes with Rival AXS and still consider the MTB versions to be shockingly and inexplicably over priced.
RussR, it is great that you replied...you obviously have lots of experience with bike across various price points and over many generations. I don't have 5% of your experience or skill level, but have been working on my own bike for the last few years. Yes, I agree so much is overpriced. As others have mentioned buying used will get you at the level above entry level and may achieve the OPs goal of smooth, reliable shifting. But those 80-100mm spring forks kill me. no matter if on a Specialized or GT Aggressor. My last bike was very big discount and the one before that was 50% retail, since it was used, but at a bikeshop. that is how I have AXS. I do stress to anyone looking for a bike, don't just go by the spec sheet. get on the bike, get on 10 bikes. see what you need and what you like. Then decide the best way to get there. I dreamed of XT stuff on my first rigid MTB, but never got there, 30 yrs later I have some sweet stuff.
Old 12-05-23, 07:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I'm with Mr Roth, and have owned a few GT's, all excellent for their intended purpose. Of course you should test ride the bike to see if it feels comfortable, and for size considerations; obviously, it's not for hard core MTB, but fine for everything else. Microshift makes excellent products. I have an 8-speed 10-50 (or so) 1X on a rigid, older MTB and my granddaughter's Kent eMTB came with 6-speed; both function perfectly.
Old 12-05-23, 08:11 PM
ggbo951a

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
v-brakes.

Yes, it sort of caught my attention, about quality of work at Dicks. Last time, i had my slipping gear fixed at REI, they did horrible advice job and I relied on it and had accident and big scratch/scar on my body. I never going to REI again for bike and their shop is horrible. Dick being similar chain story, would not expect much difference. What are real shop? any examples... the ones that are not chain stores and you found around online map around your town?
Old 12-05-23, 10:37 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Yes, it sort of caught my attention, about quality of work at Dicks. Last time, i had my slipping gear fixed at REI, they did horrible advice job and I relied on it and had accident and big scratch/scar on my body. I never going to REI again for bike and their shop is horrible. Dick being similar chain story, would not expect much difference. What are real shop? any examples... the ones that are not chain stores and you found around online map around your town?
A real shop will be your local shop or LBS. A shop that relies on bikes as their primary source of income had better be able to build a proper bike or they won't last long.

Looking at the GT, I could see buying it and dropping it off for a tune and still pocketing 200.00 if that's your budget range. Buying used as letrebici suggests can be a good way to go. Unfortunately if you don't know what you're looking at its also possible to waste a good deal of money but a bike that's been a wall hanger is often evident, if it hasn't been you need to know what to look for. My typical suggestion is that you don't get anything 7sp as its typically a freehub/freewheel design which is just outdated crap and the issue with both the trek and giant I listed above. Freewheels were fine when rear spacing was 127mm or smaller and they were produced with better materials, now that they're 135mm wide there's too much unsupported axle and they're bottom end products with bottom end materials. I also look for double wall rims as a start as they'll typically be a stronger wheel and last better. After that the sky, and your budget is the limit.

Like letrebici I also dislike coil spring forks, but upgrades are always possible. I was limited to 800.00 for my middle kid's mtb, and had to stretch to that price in order to get a frame that had real off road trail/xc geometry. A month later I could splurge on a previous generation SR Suntour Epixon air shock with remote lockout and 34mm stanchions to make the bike real off road capable. Reading reviews can matter a lot, though they don't always well cover the lower end to mid-range products. Suntour for example is often looked down upon since its typically what you find on the cheapest bikes like all of the bikes I listed above. But they also make world champion level shocks and the one I bought was equal to a rockshox judy gold, not amazing or top end but decent enough for a kid. You just have to watch how much you intend to upgrade or you might have been better off saving for the nicer bike to begin with.
Likes For Russ Roth:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.