Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

mountain bike, GT aggressor, any good?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

mountain bike, GT aggressor, any good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 04:13 AM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A real shop will be your local shop or LBS. A shop that relies on bikes as their primary source of income had better be able to build a proper bike or they won't last long.

Looking at the GT, I could see buying it and dropping it off for a tune and still pocketing 200.00 if that's your budget range. Buying used as letrebici suggests can be a good way to go. Unfortunately if you don't know what you're looking at its also possible to waste a good deal of money but a bike that's been a wall hanger is often evident, if it hasn't been you need to know what to look for. My typical suggestion is that you don't get anything 7sp as its typically a freehub/freewheel design which is just outdated crap and the issue with both the trek and giant I listed above. Freewheels were fine when rear spacing was 127mm or smaller and they were produced with better materials, now that they're 135mm wide there's too much unsupported axle and they're bottom end products with bottom end materials. I also look for double wall rims as a start as they'll typically be a stronger wheel and last better. After that the sky, and your budget is the limit.

Like letrebici I also dislike coil spring forks, but upgrades are always possible. I was limited to 800.00 for my middle kid's mtb, and had to stretch to that price in order to get a frame that had real off road trail/xc geometry. A month later I could splurge on a previous generation SR Suntour Epixon air shock with remote lockout and 34mm stanchions to make the bike real off road capable. Reading reviews can matter a lot, though they don't always well cover the lower end to mid-range products. Suntour for example is often looked down upon since its typically what you find on the cheapest bikes like all of the bikes I listed above. But they also make world champion level shocks and the one I bought was equal to a rockshox judy gold, not amazing or top end but decent enough for a kid. You just have to watch how much you intend to upgrade or you might have been better off saving for the nicer bike to begin with.
OK I see, yeah i know few local shops, will visit there, like being small biz and being primary source of income, they should be more motivated to do a better job. Pricewise, they may be higher not be able to compete with chain stores, but i am willing to spend some +++ on small biz as it suits my ideals.
Old 12-11-23, 08:32 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Thought the OP and any other new to mountain biking people might enjoy the following video:

Good video that really helps to show, that as a beginner, you really don't need to spend too much money on a bike. Or at least until you figure out if you like mountain biking or not.
Old 12-13-23, 05:20 AM
The Wookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gt Impression

For some reason used GT bikes have been hard to sell. I know they are strong and we’re reputable in my day. It might simply be they last longer and are therefore older than other used bikes on the market.
Old 12-13-23, 08:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by The Wookie
For some reason used GT bikes have been hard to sell. I know they are strong and we’re reputable in my day. It might simply be they last longer and are therefore older than other used bikes on the market.
I think it can be tough when you have bikes like the "aggressor" on the market. The quality goes down even if the quality on the older bike is really high quality. For those who know they will be curious but unless they are collecting or need the bike probably will pass. The used market is a tough market and always will be but with brands that haven't declined below bike shops it is easier to sell.

I would love a titanium triple triangle bike at some point down the line
Old 12-13-23, 02:05 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by The Wookie
All bikes appear to be difficult to sell at moment.

I know when I sold my son's Backwoods many years ago, I had to go down to $200 to get it sold. Used that to buy his Avalanche, in which I sold, think it was 5 years ago for only $350.

(I know I had prior posted about buying him an Aggressor, I looked at pictures and was wrong, I bought him a Backwoods).
Old 12-23-23, 12:35 PM
ggbo951a

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A real shop will be your local shop or LBS. A shop that relies on bikes as their primary source of income had better be able to build a proper bike or they won't last long.

Looking at the GT, I could see buying it and dropping it off for a tune and still pocketing 200.00 if that's your budget range. Buying used as letrebici suggests can be a good way to go. Unfortunately if you don't know what you're looking at its also possible to waste a good deal of money but a bike that's been a wall hanger is often evident, if it hasn't been you need to know what to look for. My typical suggestion is that you don't get anything 7sp as its typically a freehub/freewheel design which is just outdated crap and the issue with both the trek and giant I listed above. Freewheels were fine when rear spacing was 127mm or smaller and they were produced with better materials, now that they're 135mm wide there's too much unsupported axle and they're bottom end products with bottom end materials. I also look for double wall rims as a start as they'll typically be a stronger wheel and last better. After that the sky, and your budget is the limit.

Like letrebici I also dislike coil spring forks, but upgrades are always possible. I was limited to 800.00 for my middle kid's mtb, and had to stretch to that price in order to get a frame that had real off road trail/xc geometry. A month later I could splurge on a previous generation SR Suntour Epixon air shock with remote lockout and 34mm stanchions to make the bike real off road capable. Reading reviews can matter a lot, though they don't always well cover the lower end to mid-range products. Suntour for example is often looked down upon since its typically what you find on the cheapest bikes like all of the bikes I listed above. But they also make world champion level shocks and the one I bought was equal to a rockshox judy gold, not amazing or top end but decent enough for a kid. You just have to watch how much you intend to upgrade or you might have been better off saving for the nicer bike to begin with.
I have recently (just yesterday) picked up 599$ trek bike, very nice color light blue. I hope to get keep for 4-5 years. As mentioned earlier most trouble spot with owning past bikes were gear shifting problem for me. I just learned, no no for shifting gears while standing, anything else I should be aware and avoid? I also try avoiding shifting during ascent as it obviously seems to put tremendous pressure on gears while shifting while going uphill.
Old 12-23-23, 05:39 PM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Contrats on the new bike. Shifting under load (pedaling) is not good for most derailleurs - and for has been for a long time. You can lightly pedal, just not mash hard. The key is looking ahead and anticipate a hill and shift BEFORE the incline. The only other thing I think of is many new-ish riders do is overinflated their tires. it causes a harsh ride and reduces traction, even on the road. Experiment along the way, have a pump with you. Enjoy your ride!
Old 12-23-23, 06:13 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
You should anticipate a shift. Try and keep your revolutions at a steady pace. And remember, it's ok to shift.