Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 08:35 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Tall Dutch stepthrough for $200 in SC.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...97756077422309

Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-18-23, 05:11 AM
missingspoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I posted this in the December thread and emphasized there that I don't need the bike, my last score from the old co-op's junk pile, so I'm also mentioning here that it's taking up space. If anyone wants to swing by and pick it up, please feel free to do so. I gave away a newer and nicer one to a niece so I hope someone can use this one. No time for me to work on it; I have two more in my size that need attention in addition to multiple other wheeled and non-wheeled projects. PM to pursue this.

There was one at the local flea market last week in half that condition, the guy was asking $300. It was gone by the end of the day, not sure how much he sold it for but he turned down $200 while I was standing there.

I've always wondered if all the $300 department store bikes ever actually sell on CL and FB, there's certainly no shortage of them lately.
The good bikes go cheap, no one seems to remember what a decent bike was like.
Likes For missingspoke:
Old 12-18-23, 11:04 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclespanner

A Bell Systems crimper is often recommended for ferules.
But which type/model of crimper?
Anyone got a photo of one.
Doubt if the US product is available here in the UK.
With a photo I may be able to find something similar here.
There are a variety of Bell Systems/Nicopress Crimpers out there.
Not sure I can help, but I have one like this:
Nicopress

I think I paid about $10 for mine.
Old 12-18-23, 12:02 PM
Cyclespanner

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
There are a variety of Bell Systems/Nicopress Crimpers out there.
Not sure I can help, but I have one like this:
Nicopress

I think I paid about $10 for mine.
Ah, that's a big help , thank you.
Now I know what type of hens tooth to look for.
Old 12-18-23, 12:23 PM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It looks about a '67? I did not know GB brakes appeared on Raleigh Sports. Thanks for saving this one. The red should look stunning pretty soon.
Both hubs stamped 65 6, which means it's from the models first year.
Frame a lovely metalic red with very few blemishes, though decals rubbed.
Fenders/mudguard and chainguard are none metalic red. Doubt if that's original; possibly re-painted before going into storage (not a speck of dirt underneath). No dents at all.
All chrome recoverable, minimal surface rust.
Chain-wheel 6 point, clockwise herons WITH EYES.
Old but new Taiwanese cheepo tyres, holding pressure.
Removing front wheel, to get it into my car highlighted how bloomin' difficult that is (spindle flats, spigoted nuts and key-hole drop-outs). Going to devise a spreader tool.
A good lube job, thorough wash and polish and should be ready for a new lifetime of service.
31lbs.
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-18-23, 12:47 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
For shifter cables and double-ended brake cables (Raleigh type), I use a Bell Systems Model B crimper. I've seen the Model D used for brake cables as well, but I get a tighter fit with the Model B.

I would think you could order one from the US if you needed. They're not a large hand tool. They're like the size of a set of 6 inch handle wire cutters, roughly.''

Edit - a final note: the Bell Crimpers have a compound compression, which I think is helpful for really getting the ends onto the cables.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 12-18-23 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-18-23, 12:55 PM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
For shifter cables and double-ended brake cables (Raleigh type), I use a Bell Systems Model B crimper. I've seen the Model D used for brake cables as well, but I get a tighter fit with the Model B.

I would think you could order one from the US if you needed. They're not a large hand tool. They're like the size of a set of 6 inch handle wire cutters, roughly.
Thank you.
A brief UK search reveals one or two similar tools, though they ain't cheap!
The killer with ordering from the US is shipping.
Wonder if a forum member could source one and look into what the shipping would cost?
Please PM me if you can help.

EDIT: Got one of these (£11)....

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 01-04-24 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-18-23, 01:28 PM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by Johno59
Spoiler

Unfortunately not. The great wealth and industrial production was at the expense of worker's well-being. The average Joe's diet had very little good protein - it still hasn't.
The current Queen is less than 5 foot tall. Queen Victoria was 2 inches shorter . I doubt either ever went hungry.
Sorry to delve into this old theme.....
I was born 1955 in Yorkshire and at best got to 5' 7'' and ate well.
My brother, born in 1959, lived on rice pudding and french fries into his teens, never touched anything green, yet turned into a 6' 2'' bruiser!
Dad, a coal miner was 5' 7'', mum 5' 5''. No one in the family except my brother was over 5' 7''.
Go figure.
Old 12-18-23, 03:09 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Does anyone know how to obtain a key for the raleigh sport 3 spdfork. I am restoring one currently that has the keyed fork but no key. A woman whose husband just died donated his old Raleigh to the bike Exchange and asked if she could have first right of refusal to purchase it back when we sell it. I am doing a mechanical resto including a clear coat to lock in the nice patina and would like to be able to give her a key for the fork.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 12-18-23, 03:20 PM
Cyclespanner

Unfortunately I can't help, but this topic has been covered within this thread.
From what II remember it is still possible to buy a key, but you'd have to locate the locks serial number.
Alternatively, any decent locksmith should be able to sort your problem.

Use the search box 'Raleigh fork lock key'.
There's several responses.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-18-23 at 03:31 PM. Reason: adition
Old 12-18-23, 04:23 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

I've gotten keys in the past for Raleigh fork locks by getting the lock code number and buying the keys from Steve's Lock Shoppe in Texas. He does mostly car keys, but he's has done bicycle keys for me.

British Models Served by Steve's Lock Shoppe
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 12-19-23, 11:18 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
Does anyone know how to obtain a key for the raleigh sport 3 spdfork. I am restoring one currently that has the keyed fork but no key. A woman whose husband just died donated his old Raleigh to the bike Exchange and asked if she could have first right of refusal to purchase it back when we sell it. I am doing a mechanical resto including a clear coat to lock in the nice patina and would like to be able to give her a key for the fork.
You can find them on eBay, such as this:
fork key
I've bought several of them and they've worked fine.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 12-19-23, 10:23 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 56 Posts
Does anyone own a "lightweight tourist" three or four speed? I have noticed that nearly all of the English manufacturers who produced Reynolds 531 framed lightweight clubman models such as the Raleigh Lenton in the post war period usually produced a tourist version often the same bike with flat bars and a chainguard. As someone who is averse to drop handlebars these models are quite appealing to me but are quite rare and difficult to replicate due to their unique decals which are often unavailable now, the ultimate has to be the Raleigh RRA but I have only ever found photos of one tourist and that was a ladies model, I have seen a Lenton Tourist in the flesh and rather like the look of the Hercules Kestrel in green with white panels but have only ever seen an advertising drawing of one.

Likes For Small cog:
Old 12-20-23, 03:19 AM
Cyclespanner

Ooo!
A model I wasn't aware of but will look out for info on them.
I recently bought a NOS Brooks saddlebag just as illustrated.
This certainly ads a little authenticity; I know the Carradice bags are popular, but to me they are too much of a 'bag' looking,
Now looking for a bag support (or make one)..

EDIT
''Three-speed, 531, tourist, English manufacture? Amazingly enough, available brand new. Pashley Kingsman:''

Had a look at the Pashley web sight, which mentions nothing about weight.
Like all their products, I have no doubt the 'Kingsman' will be substantially heavier than the 'Rivierra' I bought recently for £31.
And £1200.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-20-23 at 10:21 AM. Reason: adition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-20-23, 06:11 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog
Does anyone own a "lightweight tourist" three or four speed? I have noticed that nearly all of the English manufacturers who produced Reynolds 531 framed lightweight clubman models such as the Raleigh Lenton in the post war period usually produced a tourist version often the same bike with flat bars and a chainguard. As someone who is averse to drop handlebars these models are quite appealing to me but are quite rare...
Three-speed, 531, tourist, English manufacture? Amazingly enough, available brand new. Pashley Kingsman:

The omission of an X-FDD is unfortunate, but given the reality of today's supply chains, forgivable.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-20-23, 07:02 AM
Small cog

Originally Posted by tcs
Three-speed, 531, tourist, English manufacture? Amazingly enough, available brand new. Pashley Kingsman:

The omission of an X-FDD is unfortunate, but given the reality of today's supply chains, forgivable.
I rather like the Pashley Morgan 3 but not the modern components, bah humbug! and asked them if they would sell me a frameset so I could build it up with vintage SA components but the answer was no.

Likes For Small cog:
Old 12-20-23, 09:02 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

I love lightweight tourist bikes. They fall in between a club/sporting model and a regular light roadster. I've got three bikes like that now - 1949 Clubman, 1951 Silver Arrow, 1953 Lenton. These started as drop bar bikes but I prefer swept back or North Road type bars. I think it's an overlooked kind of bike that has a lot to offer if you like upright type bars. If you have a good frame to start with, it's not too difficult to build one up if you cannot find an original. The originals are unusual to find today, but building one can make an excellent bike.

The 1949 Clubman:

Last edited by SirMike1983; 12-20-23 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-20-23, 11:40 AM
Salubrious

Does anyone own a "lightweight tourist" three or four speed? I have noticed that nearly all of the English manufacturers who produced Reynolds 531 framed lightweight clubman models such as the Raleigh Lenton in the post war period usually produced a tourist version often the same bike with flat bars and a chainguard. As someone who is averse to drop handlebars these models are quite appealing to me but are quite rare and difficult to replicate due to their unique decals which are often unavailable now, the ultimate has to be the Raleigh RRA but I have only ever found photos of one tourist and that was a ladies model, I have seen a Lenton Tourist in the flesh and rather like the look of the Hercules Kestrel in green with white panels but have only ever seen an advertising drawing of one.

A friend of mine has one. It was built custom for the original owner (he is the second; bought it for his wife). Its the shortest frame size they made and is a men's frame. All of the parts that you expect to see on a regular Raleigh Sports that are in steel were made with alloy on this bike, right down to the brake calipers and crankset. So it looks like a 50s Raleigh Sports but is made with Reynolds 531 and alloy parts.

I have a Rudge Pathfinder built up in a similar fashion
The ride is quite regal owing to the geometry. The saddle is a Brooks B72 rebuilt by Rudi Mayr.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 12-20-23, 11:52 AM
Small cog

Originally Posted by Salubrious
A friend of mine has one. It was built custom for the original owner (he is the second; bought it for his wife). Its the shortest frame size they made and is a men's frame. All of the parts that you expect to see on a regular Raleigh Sports that are in steel were made with alloy on this bike, right down to the brake calipers and crankset. So it looks like a 50s Raleigh Sports but is made with Reynolds 531 and alloy parts.

I have a Rudge Pathfinder built up in a similar fashion
The ride is quite regal owing to the geometry. The saddle is a Brooks B72 rebuilt by Rudi Mayr.
A nice looking Rudge and yes the RRA was a bespoke build with a choice of colours, decals and components many of them being unique to that model, I read somewhere that you ordered one then waited up to a year for delivery.
Likes For Small cog:
Old 12-20-23, 11:53 AM
Salubrious

A nice looking Rudge and yes the RRA was a bespoke build with a choice of colours, decals and components many of them being unique to that model, I read somewhere that you ordered one then waited up to a year for delivery.
Yes- the story I heard on my friend's machine is it took 2 years.
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 12-20-23, 12:56 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Does anyone own a "lightweight tourist" three or four speed?
I don't, but on my List of Projects I'll Never Get Around To, I've had thoughts of taking a 70's era Raleigh ten speed, at least one of the better frames (Super Course MK II upward) and making it a three speed of some sort. Those bikes are a lot easier to find than the earlier rarified British lightweights.

I once had the opportunity to buy an early 60's ten speed Lenton for cheap, but passed. The guy selling it told me the original owner toured Europe on it and applied an oval country sticker for each nation they toured. But someone in the interim peeled those stickers, leaving a wrecked paint job.
Likes For adventurepdx:
Old 12-20-23, 12:56 PM
Cyclespanner

Making bicycles 'isn't rocket science' as we used to be so fond of saying.

There's been 2 Lenton frames on UK ebay during the last week at reasonable prices.

So it's not impossible to build a lightweight tourist to your own spec, using mainly a wide variety of used lightweight components (no shame in that) at a real discount.

It's also possible to build a frame from scratch, but I doubt that would be economical, if not overly so.

Of course none of these solutions are the authentic 'real thing', but your build would be unique and be undoubtedly a 'real thing'.
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-20-23, 01:01 PM
adventurepdx

Making bicycles 'isn't rocket science' as we used to be so fond of saying.
Is this directed at me, or someone else?
Old 12-20-23, 01:16 PM
Cyclespanner

Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Is this directed at me, or someone else?
You may have noticed I hadn't quoted your post.

Of course my contribution is not specifically directed at you, merely me adding my own thoughts on this 'lightweight tourist' theme.

Last edited by Cyclespanner; 12-20-23 at 01:18 PM. Reason: adition
Likes For Cyclespanner:
Old 12-20-23, 01:22 PM
adventurepdx

You may have noticed I hadn't quoted your post.
I did notice, but that doesn't necessarily matter, as many folks on BF don't quote when they're directly responding to something. Not saying that's you though. I just wanted to double-check, since yours came right after mine.

Last edited by adventurepdx; 12-20-23 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.