Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why would KMC say this?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why would KMC say this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 11:19 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Why would KMC say this?

One of my son-in-laws only brushes & wipes his chains, never would soak or use my Ultrasonic Cleaner as KMC on the web site says "DO NOT dip your chain in (aggressive) degreasers - they remove the remaining grease from the chain’s parts, and may cause cracks." on https://www.kmcchain.com/en/teach/ma...nce-bike-chain. Assuming OMS is an aggressive degreaser to KMC I am mystified by "cracks" and curious the basis of this as surely they want good life from their chains. Can it be that the average cyclist is incapable of keeping a chain lubed and needs factory grease to last a lifetime?
Old 01-13-24, 11:32 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Probably a reflection of the POV expressed in this article: https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/hydroge...-break-a-chain

FWIW I used a pHydrion 1-13 range pH strip to check pH of red wine vinegar = 4, of Simple Green purchased at Sam's about 15 yrs ago
and pH was ~9, finally Palmolive Ultra Strength dish soap pH ~4. Acidic pH is somewhat more likely to "hydrogen embrittle" than alkaline
pH, but the effects of aqueous solutions on hydrogen embrittlement of steel at normal temps (under the boiling point) and pressures of atmospheric
are extremely small. It is primarily a problem at welding temperatures which are high enough to turn H20 into plasma.

Last edited by sch; 01-13-24 at 11:51 AM. Reason: reversed acid/base effects
Likes For sch:
Old 01-13-24, 11:44 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
OMS is not a degreaser it is a solvent.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 01-13-24, 04:31 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
True it is a solvent, however it is also another noun, an effective degreaser.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-13-24, 04:42 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Long-time KMC high-end chain user here. Never did anything more than lightly wipe it after each lube.
Over 6k miles lifespan from every single one. Love 'em!
Old 01-13-24, 05:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
That is the same Silca article that had (for a few months) used my photo (below) without permission.

(I believed that) I had damaged the original 105 chain (CN-HG600) on my bike for letting it soak overnight in purple degreaser.

cyccommute can explain in greater detail, but purple degreaser is basically a strong base in an aqueous solution, whereas odorless mineral spirits is an organic solvent refined from petroleum byproducts. Only the former carries a risk of hydrogen embrittlement.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-14-24, 11:04 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
The reference to caustic cleaners and fracture relates to radicals, ie. hydrogen or chlorine, which can migrate into the steel and degrade the crystal structure.

So, while typical petroleum solvent are fine, many aggressive cleaners are not. Not being able to list every problem cleaner out there KMC puts in a blanket warning.

Also consider that chain companies spend serious dough to provide chains with lubricants that will maximize chain life. Most people who diligently strip these lubes end up replacing it with something not nearly as good. IMO, if you change the lube, you forfeit, to an extent, the right to complain about chain life.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-14-24 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-14-24, 11:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
What do you think “degreasing” is or how it is accomplished? If you use a water based “degreaser” or mineral spirits, you are using a solvent to remove the grease.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-24, 11:48 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by easyupbug
One of my son-in-laws only brushes & wipes his chains, never would soak or use my Ultrasonic Cleaner as KMC on the web site says "DO NOT dip your chain in (aggressive) degreasers - they remove the remaining grease from the chain’s parts, and may cause cracks." on https://www.kmcchain.com/en/teach/ma...nce-bike-chain. Assuming OMS is an aggressive degreaser to KMC I am mystified by "cracks" and curious the basis of this as surely they want good life from their chains. Can it be that the average cyclist is incapable of keeping a chain lubed and needs factory grease to last a lifetime?
Ages ago some water based degreasers had a high pH. They were basic which can cause some problems with steel or aluminum parts. The formulations have changed and SDSs seldom list basic materials in these degreasers.

Mineral spirits…real mineral spirits, not the water based “green” ones…have no effect on metal parts and little effect on most plastic parts.

Green mineral spirits is a very different animal and could lead to cracking if a salt contaminated chain is soaked in it. Several years ago I demonstrated how this could happen. (Please don’t resurrect this very old thread) If you don’t want to wade through the whole thread, Here’s the result of the Great Chain Corrosion Experiment of 2011.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-14-24, 12:28 PM
Timberwolf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my chains and the solution is Lyman Turbo Sonic Steel and Gun Parts Cleaning Solution. It does a great job on the chains without any issues.

I figured it's not causing any problems with my guns - metal and plastic - and it isn't causing any problems with my chains.

I give the chains a good soaking in chain lube, wiping them off, reinstalling, operate the bikes through their gears before running another cloth over the chains.

Works for me but YMMV.
Old 01-14-24, 12:52 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
What do you think “degreasing” is or how it is accomplished? If you use a water based “degreaser” or mineral spirits, you are using a solvent to remove the grease.
sure, but I don’t know solvent being advertised as degreaser.
Old 01-14-24, 01:08 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Of possible relevance is this experience. It's not chain-related, but has to do with the effects of strong chemicals on stressed metal.
I had a set of couplers for MKS pedals. The couplers were quite rusty (why they were not stainless steel is a good question), so I soaked them in Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid gel) until the rust was gone... overnight as I remember. Not more than a few hundred miles later, one of the couplers fell apart. The other was cracked and on the way to failure. I have two other pairs of these couplers which have accumulated at least as many miles, but show no signs of failure. I have avoided the use of Naval Jelly on them.

This coupler is not failing, but is disassembled for cleaning and replacement of the ball bearings. No H3PO4 was used.

This coupler was soaked in H3PO4 for rust removal. The cracks were discovered after the other coupler fell apart.
Old 01-14-24, 06:48 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Removal of rust by phosphoric acid is going to leave the surface rough - not a good idea to use on surfaces that must be smooth, such as ball bearing and their races.

As for why not the stainless steel, the answer is always money!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-14-24, 08:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...oo-long-2.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ideplates.html
Old 01-14-24, 09:33 PM
Billlyy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Diluted purple power Light coat diesel fuel !!
Old 01-15-24, 09:23 AM
cyccommute 

sure, but I don’t know solvent being advertised as degreaser.
That’s mostly because people don’t understand chemistry. Safety Klean parts washers use mineral spirits in some applications and calls the solvent a degreaser. Anything that dissolves grease is a “degreaser”. Mineral spirits is actually a whole lot better at “degreasing” than water based degreasers are.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-15-24, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by sweeks
Of possible relevance is this experience. It's not chain-related, but has to do with the effects of strong chemicals on stressed metal.
I had a set of couplers for MKS pedals. The couplers were quite rusty (why they were not stainless steel is a good question), so I soaked them in Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid gel) until the rust was gone... overnight as I remember. Not more than a few hundred miles later, one of the couplers fell apart. The other was cracked and on the way to failure. I have two other pairs of these couplers which have accumulated at least as many miles, but show no signs of failure. I have avoided the use of Naval Jelly on them.

This coupler is not failing, but is disassembled for cleaning and replacement of the ball bearings. No H3PO4 was used.

This coupler was soaked in H3PO4 for rust removal. The cracks were discovered after the other coupler fell apart.
Naval Jelly is pretty rough stuff. Best to not use it for much more than a surface soaking. Evapo-Rust is a much better product which won’t damage rusted parts. I’ve even used it on painted parts with some success. I don’t have a before picture but I took a very rusted old bicycle license plate and soaked the rust off to make a belt buckle out of it

There was more rust on the back so the paint lifted more but the front of the plate came out quite nice.

It comes in huge quantities and can be reused. I took some to the co-op for treating rusty bolts we have around the shop and they came out super shiny. It uses what is call a celating agent to remove the rust. It can cause graying of some parts that have been coated with other metals. Make sure you rinse the parts after soaking and dry them quickly or else they will rust as they dry. I use denatured alcohol.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-15-24, 11:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why not just use plain old kerosene. There is no way it can hurt metal.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-15-24, 01:07 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by rydabent
Because "plain old kerosene" isn't a readily available as it once was. 40 years ago, you might have been able to get kerosene at just about any corner gas station. Today, you have to seek out somewhere that carries. Mineral spirits are more readily available and come in smaller volumes

Old 01-15-24, 01:16 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
That will work - really stinky but functional.
Old 01-15-24, 01:45 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
It's not super common now but "white gas" for camping gear works well, e.g., Coleman fuel. Harder to find now that canister stoves and lanterns have taken over the market. Weirdly, the MDS shows different mixes of petroleum distillates depending on country, but in my experience it leaves no residue or "fragrance" like kerosene regardless of brand, plus evaporates quickly.

I suppose the deodorized lamp oils you can buy would be kerosene-adjacent.
Old 01-15-24, 01:51 PM
Billlyy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Every single diesel engine injection system relies on diesel fuel as a lubricant to protect and lubricate all the moving parts within the fuel system including injectors, in-line pumps and injection pumps.

diesel fuel is readily available!!!
those pumps are under a lot of pressure compared to bike chains
Likes For Billlyy:
Old 01-15-24, 01:58 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Rick_D
It's not super common now but "white gas" for camping gear works well, e.g., Coleman fuel. Harder to find now that canister stoves and lanterns have taken over the market. Weirdly, the MDS shows different mixes of petroleum distillates depending on country, but in my experience it leaves no residue or "fragrance" like kerosene regardless of brand, plus evaporates quickly.

I suppose the deodorized lamp oils you can buy would be kerosene-adjacent.
Odorless mineral spirits is similar without the stink of either kerosene or “white gas” and with a much higher flash point than white gas.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-15-24, 02:22 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
If OMS was in any way harmful to metal, I doubt it would be sold in metal cans. It is a wonderful solvent, relatively cheap, not as toxic or flammable as some other solvents and it is readily available. Why look for anything else?

Last edited by flanso; 01-15-24 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
Likes For flanso:
Old 01-18-24, 02:51 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
That other thread was interesting. Funny how some people can’t get their head around chemistry and keep trying to come up with physical causes because that’s much more intuitive.

Also: 1100 miles to break a 10speed chain. Must be something went on there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.