Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern link c8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern link c8

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 05:09 PM
Pe1ter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tern link c8

Hi after wanting a folder for ages I chose the tern. Having had the bike for a week now I notice it has no rear mech hanger it is built in to the frame but on the D8 it has silver mech hanger not part of the frame well the only thing I’m bothered about is if accident happens and rear mech breaks and bends frame with it been an alloy frame you can’t bend it back like steel any ideas why tern have done this in the c8 many thanks Pete
Old 02-23-24, 05:24 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Cost savings, I imagine. The thing is, that bike ain't exactly cheap.
Old 02-23-24, 05:42 PM
Pe1ter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m thinking is should of paid the extra 200 and got the D8 now but I didn’t like the only colour they had left and I don’t like the andros stem I think it looks to bulky
Old 02-24-24, 12:14 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Pe1ter
...I don’t like the andros stem I think it looks too bulky
I had the original Andros stem on my Verge... a single lever closed both clamps simultaneously. I thought I liked this better than the current version because it was faster.
Then the stem broke, and I had to replace it with the current model with two separate levers. I quickly came to like this version better. It doesn't take much more time to operate, and it's visually much *less* massive than the previous version.
Do you have a headlight? The "Valo" is designed to fit between the clamps of the Andros stem... pretty much theft-resistant and a pretty good light as well.

The original Andros stem with Valo headlight. The newer version is less massive visually, and doesn't reflect as much sunlight into the rider's eyes. I consider this an improvement.

Last edited by sweeks; 02-24-24 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 02-25-24, 04:57 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Hi after wanting a folder for ages I chose the tern. Having had the bike for a week now I notice it has no rear mech hanger it is built in to the frame but on the D8 it has silver mech hanger not part of the frame well the only thing I’m bothered about is if accident happens and rear mech breaks and bends frame with it been an alloy frame you can’t bend it back like steel any ideas why tern have done this in the c8 many thanks Pete
Don't worry about it. Usually on Dahons that are aluminum, they had a separate replaceable derailleur hanger. Yours sounds integral with the frame. (And by the way, it is still a derailleur hanger, just not replaceable.) My early Dahon Speed has NO hanger, just threaded hole to mount the Dahon compact derailleur forward of the axle, which functioned poorly. So when I replaced that, I used a conventional derailleur with an integral "claw mount" which goes under the right axle nut. But claw mounts are also sold separately, to use with any rear derailleur. So don't worry about the integral mount; If it ever bends, most probably it can be bent back, they make tools to do this that any good bike mechanic will have; If cannot be fixed, you can replace with a claw mount to do the same thing. Go ride.

Zoom in and look closely:

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-25-24 at 05:00 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-25-24, 05:16 AM
Pe1ter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheers for the reply I’ve heard you can bend them back if worst happens but only if frames steel not aluminium
Old 02-25-24, 10:50 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Cheers for the reply I’ve heard you can bend them back if worst happens but only if frames steel not aluminium
Aluminum is less amenable to straightening, depending on the degree of bending; but straightening is possible in many cases.
How about the possibility that the hanger never gets bent? I've got 3 bikes 20-45 years old with integral hangers that have never been bent.
Old 02-25-24, 11:11 AM
Pe1ter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Teen link c8

Yeh I’m thinking that myself that it will probably never happen that’s the thing about me I get something and pick up on something about it then get obsessed it’s not like I’ll be in mtb trails with it I’ll. be on crappy wet roads in the uk on it that’s all it does in the uk is rain
Likes For Pe1ter: