Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddlebag Alternatives

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddlebag Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 01:40 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Saddlebag Alternatives

Does anyone carry their tubes, tools, etc. in something other than a saddlebag on their road bike? I'm looking into trying something different because the rear blinky that I use won't mount properly with a saddlebag in the way. Any pictures or suggestions would be much appreciated!

P.S. I'm a very casual roadie--probably riding about 30-50 miles a week.
Old 09-30-18, 01:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Handlebar bag, or saw off the top of a water bottle and throw your stuff in there to look super pro.
Old 09-30-18, 01:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Many saddlebags have a fabric loop onto which your tail light can clip. What light and saddlebag do you have?
Old 09-30-18, 02:18 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Many saddlebags have a fabric loop onto which your tail light can clip. What light and saddlebag do you have?
I've always found those loops useless. The light flops around and/or doesn't even aim anywhere but down at the road and not at cars behind.
Old 09-30-18, 02:24 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Got rid of all my saddle bags a couple years ago. Now I use small frame bags. Lil' Dude from Ellum Bag Works is a good one and I like the revelate jerry can for mtb.

https://ellumbagworks.com/product/lil-dude/

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Cockpit/Jerrycan
Old 09-30-18, 03:21 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I've always found those loops useless. The light flops around and/or doesn't even aim anywhere but down at the road and not at cars behind.
Yes! That's the same problem I'm having. An LED light really only works if it's at the right angle.
Old 09-30-18, 03:22 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Got rid of all my saddle bags a couple years ago. Now I use small frame bags. Lil' Dude from Ellum Bag Works is a good one and I like the revelate jerry can for mtb.

https://ellumbagworks.com/product/lil-dude/

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ckpit/Jerrycan
I like the looks of the Ellum bag. Does it flop around much? I ride on a lot of bumpy roads.
Old 09-30-18, 03:50 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
jersey pockets
Old 09-30-18, 04:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
jersey pockets
This. The stuff I used to keep in a saddlebag goes into a ziploc bag and in the middle jersey pocket. Easy peasy.
Old 09-30-18, 04:11 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Many lights will also mount on the seat stays. Some even come with the necessary hardware.

Also, while i do use a saddle bag, my pump is secured beloe the down tube. Depending on frame geometry that may be an option for you. There are bottle storage containers. Could you zip-tie a bottle cage below your downtube? I even used to have a bike with water bottle bosses below the downtube. I miss that bike.
Old 09-30-18, 04:41 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
jersey pockets
This. I have tube, mini pump, tire levers, multi tool, phone and keys in my jersey pocket .
Old 09-30-18, 06:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
WolfTooth B-RAD. Allows you to mount accessories behind your downtube water bottle. I'm still using a saddlebag (a little one from Castelli in this case) but it's nowhere near the saddle. I run an Arundel Tubi in the same position on my CX bike.

Old 09-30-18, 06:05 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
Many lights will also mount on the seat stays. Some even come with the necessary hardware.

Also, while i do use a saddle bag, my pump is secured beloe the down tube. Depending on frame geometry that may be an option for you. There are bottle storage containers. Could you zip-tie a bottle cage below your downtube? I even used to have a bike with water bottle bosses below the downtube. I miss that bike.
Unfortunately, I only have the two bottle mounts (seat tube and down tube), and to make matters worse, I don't have enough clearance between my second bottle and top tube to mount a bag. I've also tried different types of lights, but they really don't have quite the same effect as seatpost mounted lights, at least in my opinion.
Old 09-30-18, 06:08 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
WolfTooth B-RAD. Allows you to mount accessories behind your downtube water bottle. I'm still using a saddlebag (a little one from Castelli in this case) but it's nowhere near the saddle. I run an Arundel Tubi in the same position on my CX bike.

Thanks! I'm going to look into this.
Old 09-30-18, 06:21 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have one of those little dudes mounted on the rear of the seat post for my little tools and patch kit. The hand pump is on the top bar. I have 2 blinking lights mounted facing rearward, 1 on the rear of my rack and one mounted directly beneath the seat with a custom bracket that fastens to the seat mount. I should mention that the light under the seat is obscured frequently when hauling extra gear, hence the second one on the end of the rack.
When I outfitted a couple of bikes for patrolling mountain trails I included the little dude style packs and all anyone ever used them for was snacks.
Old 09-30-18, 06:31 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by IchbinJay
Yes! That's the same problem I'm having. An LED light really only works if it's at the right angle.
Take a standard Bontrager FlareR rear light (fairly popular from what I've read), they supposedly have 270 degrees of visibility. Is it really a thing that if it's not firmly pointing in a single direction (which is where?) it's not effective?
Old 09-30-18, 07:47 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I like the looks of the Ellum bag. Does it flop around much? I ride on a lot of bumpy roads.
It's very stable. I use it on my gravel racer.
Old 09-30-18, 08:26 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Unfortunately, I only have the two bottle mounts (seat tube and down tube), and to make matters worse, I don't have enough clearance between my second bottle and top tube to mount a bag. I've also tried different types of lights, but they really don't have quite the same effect as seatpost mounted lights, at least in my opinion.
Unless you have a specific medical condition why in the world are you taking two water bottles with you when you are only doing 30-50 miles per week?
Plenty of clearance if you drop the second bottle.

Old 10-01-18, 12:29 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I've lost 2 expensive usb taillights off them when they rattled off on bumpy descents. Nowadays I mount my taillight under my saddlebag. All my bikes have enough seatpost showing that there's room for both.
Old 10-01-18, 04:23 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Old 10-01-18, 04:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
No problems with my Cygolite Hotshot or Blackburn 2'Fer taillights sagging or popping off my small and medium Serfas Speed bag under-saddle bags. The lights don't weigh much and have snug clips. The 2'Fer has a retaining nibs so it's more secure than most, and more versatile -- it has red and white, steady and blinking modes in a single unit.

I've loaned my lights to other folks during group rides and so far my lights haven't popped off anyone else's bags either. So far all of the stray taillights I've retrieved on group rides had the smooth metal clips without any retaining nibs, or the rider tried to clip lights to their shorts, jerseys or some makeshift thing that didn't work and endangered riders behind them. Same with those makeshift flashlights with rubber bands that always pop loose on rough roads and railroad crossings.

I also have seat post mounts so there's another option for securely mounting lights. I've never had a light pop loose from those.

Usually I mount the Blackburn 2'Fer on the back of my helmet. I prefer having two lights, front and rear -- gives drivers a little more help in determining distance, direction and relative speed. I use the original Blackburn strap mount on one helmet and a generic rubber strap on the other helmet. Both are secure.

The only taillight that's popped off my Serfas bag was a Planet Bike Rack Blinky 5. It's larger, heavier with two AAA batteries, and the plastic clip doesn't close tightly. But it's fine on the two mounts provided for a rear rack or seat post.
Old 10-01-18, 05:10 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Depending on the type of ride: try the hiker's bag, the waist pack or also known as the lumbar bag.

The back pocket of the typical bike jersey, when filled with contents, resembles the lumbar bag.

There are different sizes of lumbar bags/waist packs. Whatever you need to pack your items.

Its a reasonable alternative, but for the fashion conscience, maybe not that much.

The pros: holds more stuff than a saddle bag; anti-theft because its on you, unless you get mugged; frees up your bike frame because you're wearing it; jersey pockets not primary space; on hot humid days, lumbar region doesn't feel the heat.

The cons: not fit for racing; access to energy bars, cell phone, keys become cumbersome; not fashionable.

This is something you at least may try out. You can always use the hiking bag for hiking anyways. REI has an assortment. Again, it depends on the type of ride for that day. For most recreational riders, its not about racing.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 10-01-18 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 05:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you can't fit your flat/mechanical kit in your jersey pocket, you might want to reconsider your kit (if you don't have a jersey pocket, you might want to reconsider your attire). And, as has been mentioned above, you should also be able to get by with one bottle, opening up the other bottle cage as another storage option (during one-bottle weather, I use an REI/Co-op-branded container).
Old 10-01-18, 06:05 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I use a fanny pack. Works for me.
Old 10-01-18, 02:42 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far (except the one about not drinking water)! Looks like I have a little product research to do. I really like that LG bag with the light built in. I think that's a front runner for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.