Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advent X or Deore 11 speed

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 04:17 AM
elston1999

Bikes: Cannondale r500, Mongoose Hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking to upgrade from 3x8 to a 1x. Have read good things about Advent X. Both are comparable on price. Looking for recommendations for either. Thanks community
Old 01-08-24, 08:25 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I have an 8-speed Advent system on a somewhat vintage Diamondback rigid, steel MTB and it functions perfectly, but am a big fan of Shimano too. The Advent ($71 for derailleur and cassette - 11/50 AIR) works great and I selected it to try something different (probably price too).
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-08-24, 12:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Depending on the bike if it is a decent frame and had decent components on it, it would be worth upgrading. If not save the money for the bike you want.

In terms of X vs Deore, I would probably go Deore 11 speed but I will say that Advent X is not a bad bit of kit. Nothing blow your mind great but for the price is certainly a solid set up and the ability to run drop bar levers is really nice. Something Shimano hasn't fully grasped yet (though GRX is getting us closer). For wider range stuff I like having more gears as it is a smoother transition between gears which is a big reason for going Deore. Plus Shimano is pretty ubiquitous and easy to find parts for for years.

Advent X is compatible with itself and while they are currently supporting it and likely to continue for quite a while I do worry what might happen down the line when I want a shifter. I know with my Shimano stuff I can always find something pretty easily even if lower quality. Not that it is a major worry as I doubt you will have an issue if you maintain your stuff well but it is another thing to think about. However I do really hope that Advent X is around for a while it is a good quality entry level mountain bike groupset and we need more of that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-08-24, 12:40 PM
elston1999

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It’s diamnondback axis 27.5” so a good entry level groupset like advent or deore should do just fine??

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Depending on the bike if it is a decent frame and had decent components on it, it would be worth upgrading. If not save the money for the bike you want.

In terms of X vs Deore, I would probably go Deore 11 speed but I will say that Advent X is not a bad bit of kit. Nothing blow your mind great but for the price is certainly a solid set up and the ability to run drop bar levers is really nice. Something Shimano hasn't fully grasped yet (though GRX is getting us closer). For wider range stuff I like having more gears as it is a smoother transition between gears which is a big reason for going Deore. Plus Shimano is pretty ubiquitous and easy to find parts for for years.

Advent X is compatible with itself and while they are currently supporting it and likely to continue for quite a while I do worry what might happen down the line when I want a shifter. I know with my Shimano stuff I can always find something pretty easily even if lower quality. Not that it is a major worry as I doubt you will have an issue if you maintain your stuff well but it is another thing to think about. However I do really hope that Advent X is around for a while it is a good quality entry level mountain bike groupset and we need more of that.
Old 01-08-24, 03:23 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I actually have both and both work fine. Here is my opinion.
1. I don't care about the extra gear 10 or 11 whatever
2. both bike run a 30 tooth chainring and I really don't notice any difference between the 48 vs 51
3. advent x cassette is about 200 grams lighter
4. I run an XT shifter on the 11 speed and I do miss the double up shift with advent x
5. advent x is on my full squish and gets ridden way more than the hard tail with deore
6 the old advent x Rd is kinda ugly, the new sword gravel RD looks better and the same pull ratio

Advent X uses the same pull ratio as 11 speed deore so I'm running an 11 speed deore RD after wrecking and bending the crap out of my RD and hanger, deore RD was cheaper. What it comes down to is both are fine. Get whichever one is cheaper or if you are like me and just want to try something different go Advent X.
Likes For Canker:
Old 01-08-24, 03:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by elston1999
It’s diamnondback axis 27.5” so a good entry level groupset like advent or deore should do just fine??
Surprisingly it does have an air fork (assuming it is the one I saw online at REI) nothing great but that is rare on those types of bikes. Yes it will do just fine. I would also consider saving up for the bike you really want but this is an OK candidate for small upgrades.

Canker #5 isn't fair at all. Of course you will want to ride a full suspension bike more then a hardtail if you have both. It is rare to hear the opposite. If I had a full suspension bike I would be running that way more than my hardtail and if I get the full suspension it will replace the hardtail (though I will keep the frame)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-08-24, 04:17 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
I've built up bikes with both Advent X and Deore (but 10 speed). If the price is the same, I would lean towards Shimano, because IME it shifts a bit more smoothly. Advent is a little clunkier by comparison--not bad, but it's tough to beat Shimano. Advent does have a bit more range, though.
Old 01-08-24, 06:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Cues

This is Shimano's new option for 9,10 and 11 speed drivetrains and cranksets. They claim it is robust and will last up to 3 times longer. It is only just now appearing on vendor's websites (eg Jenson) so I don't know when it is really going to be readily available, but I am holding out to do a drive-train upgrade on an olde mtn bike until I can take a close look at this option.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-08-24 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 11:24 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Surprisingly it does have an air fork (assuming it is the one I saw online at REI) nothing great but that is rare on those types of bikes. Yes it will do just fine. I would also consider saving up for the bike you really want but this is an OK candidate for small upgrades.

Canker #5 isn't fair at all. Of course you will want to ride a full suspension bike more then a hardtail if you have both. It is rare to hear the opposite. If I had a full suspension bike I would be running that way more than my hardtail and if I get the full suspension it will replace the hardtail (though I will keep the frame)
#5 true but I meant it more that I like it well enough that I left it on the bike I ride the most rather than swapping it over to the hardtail.
Likes For Canker:
Old 01-09-24, 05:46 AM
elston1999

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Cues

This is Shimano's new option for 9,10 and 11 speed drivetrains and cranksets. They claim it is robust and will last up to 3 times longer. It is only just now appearing on vendor's websites (eg Jenson) so I don't know when it is really going to be readily available, but I am holding out to do a drive-train upgrade on an olde mtn bike until I can take a close look at this option.
That's another variable to consider with the addition of cues. Deore is said to be great for entry level riders but if this Cues is 3x stronger, I don't know. Looks like only about $20 more per groupset. I got some more homework to do. Thanks for the info!!
Likes For elston1999:
Old 01-09-24, 09:26 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I installed the Advent X on my hardtail. It was a solid system. I had no worries about it breaking when hitting branches or rocks. It did clunk a few times when shifting, so as odd as it may sound, it was a satisfying kind of clunk since it placed the chain on the gears without any hesitation. Just forewarning you, since I don't see anyone stating it. The Advent X shifter is a push push shifting mechanism. You won't be able to pull the shifter into different gears. It's easy to get used to though. To the point, that all my current bikes with SRAM and Deore 12speed, I only use the push push shifting and not the pull.

Now, if you want smooth shifting, like others have stated here, go for the 11 speed so the gear range is spread out more evenly.

Don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 01-09-24, 11:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by elston1999
That's another variable to consider with the addition of cues. Deore is said to be great for entry level riders but if this Cues is 3x stronger, I don't know. Looks like only about $20 more per groupset. I got some more homework to do. Thanks for the info!!
9 speed and 10 speed are now available from Jenson, and I just saw 10 and 11 speed Cues Di2 rear derailleurs on the REI website. I had no idea ...
Old 01-10-24, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

CUES seems like a great idea if it is real then I would go for it. (I know it actually exists) Seeing stuff in a catalogue and in ad copy is one thing but in real life is another though CUES seems like it is quality. I remember the roll out of Claris and saw pictures and thought it could be decent and then in real life it was not what I thought it was going to be. It looked a lot worse.
Old 01-10-24, 08:53 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
my wife has a c-dale dual from 2020 that's been upgraded with 12sp XT, hope pro5 hubs, magura trail SE brakes, and carbon tubeless rims, she usually passes the bike off to ride a 2022 Deore/SLX c-dale Trail 3 SE. i would have thought the dual suspension a better option but she mostly doesn't agree, go figure.

OP, i've tuned and ridden several bikes with both groups and would buy based on which is the best deal. Both are decent off-road groups, durable, reliable, easy to set up and consistent in just working once the cables have stretched. 10sp vs. 11sp, 11 can be a little smoother shifting due to smaller jumps but i think the advent has a 4 tooth smaller cog in the back that keeps the shifting equally smooth.