Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Indexing went screwy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Indexing went screwy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 08:44 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Indexing went screwy

Couple weeks ago I finally ditched the 7sp cassette and spacer, and put a new Shimano 8sp cassette, SunRace RD, (had a SRAM 1:1, and no 8sp shifters for it were available locally) and SunRace triggers on. Had it all working great, until yesterday.

No impacts or anything to bend the hanger, nothing unusual at all except that I did ride through a couple patches of deep wet sand that morning. Started getting that "need to trim" vibration under load. Cleaned everything, including pulling the chain and cassette to make sure I had all the sand out, and clean/repack the back axle bearings. Got it all back together, and I've got the same vibration on the 3 highest cogs, plus the derailleur is now acting like a 7 speed; I can tweak the barrel adjuster to get either the highest 7 or the lowest 7, but not all 8, and I'm still getting a rattle on some cogs like the RD just isn't quite right on, but others are fine. Adjusting the barrel a full cog changes which ones are rough, too.

What am I missing here? Could there be some grit in the RD changing the way it lines up?
Old 06-27-17, 08:47 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You still should verify that the hangar isn't bent. A slightly bent hangar gives you good shifting on one side of the cassette, but it gets dodgy on the other side, which sounds suspiciously like what you're getting. I know you didn't bang it, but it can be slightly bent without your realizing it.
Old 06-28-17, 02:30 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
...no 8sp shifters for it were available locally) and SunRace triggers on.

Don't understand. Is the rear shifter 7-or 8-speed?

7/8 mixes are quite known to kinda-sorta work. At some level of wear, tune and cleanliness they run OK. But rarely over the full range of expected Life.

If a matched system shifts OK when going to bigger sprockets, but poorly when going to smaller, it's very often caused by excessive Cable drag. Clean and lube the Cable guide under the BB Shell.
Old 06-28-17, 03:14 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's a recent install
the cables and housings are just settling in.
readjust the shifting and it'll probably be fine
Old 06-28-17, 04:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,335 Posts
Typically the first thing is the remove the cable from the rear derailleur and make sure you can easily move it by hand to all gears. If it is smooth, then you probably have crud in the cable. You may have to pull cable and blow out the housings. Some people use WD-40 or Triflow in housings, some people say it only attracts dirt and makes things worse.

John
Old 06-29-17, 11:07 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Don't understand. Is the rear shifter 7-or 8-speed?
8 speed. Had a 1:1 ratio RD before, but couldn't get 1:1 8sp shifters locally, so I swapped to the SunRace 2:1 ratio RD to be able to get 8sp shifters without having to order them in.
Old 06-30-17, 09:06 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Don't understand. Is the rear shifter 7-or 8-speed?If a matched system shifts OK when going to bigger sprockets, but poorly when going to smaller, it's very often caused by excessive Cable drag. Clean and lube the Cable guide under the BB Shell.
It's a 7100; cable routes along the top tube and down the seat stay. I'll pull the cable and housings today, re-clean and lube everything from the TT to the RD itself and see what happens.
Old 06-30-17, 04:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
If you were using a 7-speed cassette and spacer and are now trying to shift all the way across an 8-speed cassette, it's possible that the RD hanger was always slightly bent and the accumulated error didn't manifest as a problem until now.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-01-17, 09:05 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you were using a 7-speed cassette and spacer and are now trying to shift all the way across an 8-speed cassette, it's possible that the RD hanger was always slightly bent and the accumulated error didn't manifest as a problem until now.
After some cleaning, laying the hanger on a flat surface and giving it a couple whacks just in case, and putting everything back on, it seems to hit everything consistently except the smallest cog, which it will shift to, but slowly. However it still sounds like it needs to be trimmed out a bit on the largest ones. It does hit the megarange one fine, though.
Old 07-01-17, 09:50 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That's not how you align a rear derailleur hanger. Problem found.