Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain length

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain length

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-11, 09:35 PM
ducati hyp
Road runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain length

Hi, I just got a new wheel set and I am going to a 11-28 cassette from a 12-15 will I have to put a longer chain on ??? I was hoping to switch back and fourth . If I have to I'll put quick release master links and switch chains with wheels....
Old 02-20-11, 10:31 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I go by the old standard, wrap the chain around the largest cog and the big chainring, not through the derailer. Pull it fairly tight to see where the links would match up. Now add 2 links length, or 1 plus master link if you use one.
Old 02-20-11, 10:34 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It depends on whether your existing chain is long enough to work with the new cassette or not. For road bikes with double cranks, I generally give them as much chain as they can handle in the small-to-small combo without the RD losing tension or rubbing its cage tab on the bottom section of chain. If your chain's sized to that target with the 11-28 cassette, it will also handle your 12-25, so you might just need one new chain. With more chain, the upper pulley tends to track closer to the cassette cogs when in the big ring, where the pulley cage is more extended; that's the rationale behind using as much chain as practical. It also leaves you more breathing space for larger cassettes, and for removing damaged links if you have a mishap and need to fix it to get home.

This assumes that your old cassette isn't worn to the point where it has problems with a new chain; if that were the case, your plan of two chains dedicated to the two different cassettes might be the best compromise.
Old 02-21-11, 08:39 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I assume you meant you were going from a 12/25. If the chain was sized as small as possible with the 25, then you need to add 3 links. It's likely there's enough excess chain totake the 28.

Put the 11-28 on the bike. Put it in the repair stand. Gently put the bike in the 53/28 combination. If there's enough chain to go into that combination comfortably, then your fine. If it's a stretch to get it in the 53/28, you need to add chain.

Even if you never cross chain into the big/big combination when actually riding, the chain needs to be long enough to accomodate that combination, under load, or bad things will eventually happen.

You may need a new chain anyway. If you do, size it to fit the 28, and you'll be fine running either the 25 or the 28.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-21-11, 11:23 AM
rob_g
Classics lover

Bikes: early 90's Bianchi Trofeo, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I go by the old standard, wrap the chain around the largest cog and the big chainring, not through the derailer. Pull it fairly tight to see where the links would match up. Now add 2 links length, or 1 plus master link if you use one.
I use the same method - learned it from a Shimano derailleur documentation, and it works like a charm.

Meant I did not need a larger-cage model, when I replaced the cranks in my bike with a triple. Adjusting it this way, the original one works fine as always, I saved money and preserve the groupo intact.