Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed and fenders?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixed and fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 12:18 PM
Northendfixie

Bikes: 80's Raleigh fixie, 80's Norco fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed and fenders?

I use a fixed for commuting. I am considering putting on fenders (sacriledge... I know!). Do any of you do this... would you suggest vintage fenders sanded painted etc or freddy fender new ones?
Old 05-13-08, 12:22 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Planet Bike Cascadia fenders on my Rob Roy. Nothing wrong with not getting soaked and protecting the drivetrain componentry a bit more IMO... I bought this frameset specifically because I knew it could handle fenders, wider tyres (if I so choose, there's 23s on it now) and a rack/bottle cages, etc. I've got cages on it too, but no rack yet.

Who the hell cares if it works for you?
Old 05-13-08, 12:24 PM
gharding
Señor Member

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been meaning to get one of those crappy seatpost-clipon ones just so my back doesn't get covered in **** when it rains. It depends on your bike (or, would for me).. I'd go with the cheap-o plastic fenders unless you have a vintage/vintage-style bike, but that's just me.
Old 05-13-08, 12:26 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I am thinking about the race blade fenders for my steamroller since I don't have the eyelets for regular fenders. I know I am going to want to ride it in all weather at some point.

https://www.rei.com/product/697808

BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Freddy Fenders front fender and a Zefal rear splash guard on my fixie. If I really cared about impressing others based on looks, I'd ride naked.
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. winter/rain bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
55.jpg (90.8 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by vobopl; 05-13-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 12:32 PM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
If you ride year round and don't live in the dessert, its important to have at least one bike with fenders, IMO. I have yellow Planet Bike fenders on my Rob Roy and use it as a rain/utility bike. To me the fenders are there for purely a utilitarian purpose and I don't really care what they look like. However, most people compliment the fenders more than any other aspect of my bike. It does make the bike stand out among the masses of unfendered sport bikes out there. You may also notice a few ignorant roadies express complete astonishment that you can drop them on a bike with fenders and hybrid tires.

Last edited by mihlbach; 05-13-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 12:36 PM
wolfbrother
hiphopopotamus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Northendfixie
(sacriledge... I know
**********??? are you of the fix-tian denomination?
There are lots of people on here who use fenders. The reason is because they don't like mud stripes on their pantalones. I use the zefal swan which is a clip on. It doesn't have full coverage, but it does the job and then I can take it off when it's dry. It also came with a clip-on front fender which actually works surprisingly well.
Old 05-13-08, 12:37 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
... You may also notice a few ignorant roadies express complete astonishment that you can drop them on a bike with fenders and hybrid tires.
But of course you only caught them while they were on the 'cool down' portion of their ride.
Old 05-13-08, 12:48 PM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gharding
I've been meaning to get one of those crappy seatpost-clipon ones just so my back doesn't get covered in **** when it rains. It depends on your bike (or, would for me).. I'd go with the cheap-o plastic fenders unless you have a vintage/vintage-style bike, but that's just me.
I have been using the SKS Xtra-Dry rear seatpost fender for a few years now and it is awesome. I would hardly call it crappy. I never have had any issues with it, except it being stolen. Now I just bring it in with me if I am going to lock up for a while.
Old 05-13-08, 01:01 PM
gharding
Señor Member

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fluffhead
I have been using the SKS Xtra-Dry rear seatpost fender for a few years now and it is awesome. I would hardly call it crappy. I never have had any issues with it, except it being stolen. Now I just bring it in with me if I am going to lock up for a while.
Does the SKS Xtra-Dry have a mount, or does the entire thing remove from the seatpost?
Old 05-13-08, 01:03 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
For good bang for the buck I recommend Planet bike Hardcore. I've installed a lot of fenders recently, and these have the nicest solidest mounting hardware of the plastic coated models i've seen.

For pretty I recommend the Berthoud stainless steel. Also very nice hardware, pretty, and not too heavy.
Old 05-13-08, 01:03 PM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Does the SKS Xtra-Dry have a mount, or does the entire thing remove from the seatpost?
That's the one I have too, the whole thing comes off in a jiff!

Last edited by jpdesjar; 05-13-08 at 01:06 PM.

Old 05-13-08, 01:11 PM
1fluffhead

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No mount, the orange strap wraps around your seatpost and the black clip, clips back onto itself. I have a zip tie around the neck by the clip that I slide over the clip to ensure that the clip never comes undone while ridding. Never had that problem, but I had a friend that did a couple of times. I think his thigh just bumped it loose when he went over something. It happened while MTBing
Old 05-13-08, 01:23 PM
jimisnowhere

Bikes: 60's lowrider, 80's Cavaletto Centurion, 94 Specialized Rockhopper sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the longest fenders you can stand fitting into your frame. Those seat post paddles are better than nothing, but full coverage fenders are awesome. I got a leather mudguard I add to mine when its really raining or nasty. They will make toe overlap issues much worse on the other hand.
Old 05-13-08, 01:30 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Northendfixie
I use a fixed for commuting. I am considering putting on fenders (sacriledge... I know!). Do any of you do this... would you suggest vintage fenders sanded painted etc or freddy fender new ones?
What kind of frame? I have a set of full coverage clip-on fenders from Planet Bike on a cyclocross conversion with absolutely no places to mount normal fenders (no drilled brake bridge, no chainstay bridge, nothing at all). They are rock solid and work very well.
Old 05-13-08, 01:34 PM
timdoug
GBR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sks have plastic on the outside and metal the inside.
If your bike has eyelets for these, that is what I would suggest. I'm sure the freddy fenders are fine too. I just don't think they are as long.
Old 05-13-08, 02:43 PM
lukewall

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No mount, the orange strap wraps around your seatpost and the black clip, clips back onto itself. I have a zip tie around the neck by the clip that I slide over the clip to ensure that the clip never comes undone while ridding. Never had that problem, but I had a friend that did a couple of times. I think his thigh just bumped it loose when he went over something. It happened while MTBing
i actually put a hole in mine throught he clip and the body that i put the zip tie through so no one just unclips it and takes off with it when my bike is locked up. tried to zip tie around the clamp w/out the hole but it would just slide off the clip and you could take it off.
Old 05-13-08, 02:52 PM
1fluffhead

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^^After I had the first one stolen I thought about doing something like that to better secure it to my bike. Do you leave your fender on all the time? I finally decided against something like this because I didn't want the fender attached all of the time. The zip tie that I have on there now is more for keeping the fender on the bike while I ride vs. security against theft.
Old 05-13-08, 03:20 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdesjar
That's the one I have too, the whole thing comes off in a jiff!
I love mine too.
Old 05-13-08, 03:29 PM
lukewall

Bikes: 2000 Raleigh M50. 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour. 2008 Cannondale Synapse 6.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^After I had the first one stolen I thought about doing something like that to better secure it to my bike. Do you leave your fender on all the time? I finally decided against something like this because I didn't want the fender attached all of the time. The zip tie that I have on there now is more for keeping the fender on the bike while I ride vs. security against theft.
i don't keep the fender on all the time. i secure it with the zip tie when i'm going to lock my bike up all day at work. when i don't need it, i cut the zip tie, take the fender off. a big pack of small zip ties is only 8 bucks at home depot, and that pack will prob last me the whole year.
Old 05-13-08, 04:53 PM
mihlbach

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
But of course you only caught them while they were on the 'cool down' portion of their ride.
Actually no. I passed a roadie once and he drafted me for a while, and finally commented that he was amazed how fast I was on "that thing". I eventually lost him on a hill. Not all roadies are fast, in fact most are fair weather recreational riders that are much slower than me. That doesn't mean there aren't roadies out there who can teach me a lesson...I encountered one of those last Saturday.
Old 05-13-08, 05:17 PM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Freddies, SKS P35's and similar metal core fenders are hardly cheapo plastic . They are totally solid and nice. The only thing better is (arguably) honjos and similar retro aluminum fenders. Unless you are running super long fenders (or you like your fender to pour water into your shoes) you need a mudflap too.

Last edited by mander; 05-13-08 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:25 PM
estratton

Bikes: 2010 Fisher Simple City 8, 2010 Geekhouse Team CX, 2009 IF SSR, 2007 BFSSFG IRO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rock sks race blades on my daily bike. Removing them currently as it's not raining but they are quick to put on or remove. Down side is they are kinda pricey imho.
Old 05-13-08, 06:37 PM
deadforkinglast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of planet bike fenders on my Trek conversion that work beautifully. I think they're the "Full Hybrid" model. They're a little big (clearance for tires up to 35mm, although I'm currently running 23mm) which means that if I want to put fatter tires onto this bike, I could. They're pretty light, they're black, so they're visually unobtrusive (maybe even appealing) on my black and blue bike and, most importantly, they keep my ass dry in the rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.