Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

replace studs

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

replace studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 05:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
replace studs

had to replace 6 studs

after the work I put everything back the way it came. hope I can find this when I need them again

box-o-studs

guess I never wondered what they looked like before

the tip of the tool. you put the stud in, face in. it sits in there a little loose

thought there were only 1 or 2 to be replaced but it was 6! all in the rear tire, if that has any significance

it looks like all the rest

was not difficult. you just push & wiggle. the more I did the better I got
Old 02-07-23, 03:32 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Nice job.

When I first started cycling in the snow and ice, I had purchased a pair or Continental Spike Claw 120s. They had studs only on the edges of the treads. When I kept on slipping, I purchased spare studs from BikeStuds and converted my 120s into Spike Claw 240s. After you get the hang of it, it was easy. But after inserting 10 studs, you really need to give your hand a break. Overall, I think the time you need to reserve for this kind of work would be around 30s per stud.

Then last spring, I noticed that my rear tire had a gash in it. So I purchased one Schwalbe studden winter tire. Works great. I still have the old tire planning to see if I can remove all those studs and save them for future use.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-07-23, 05:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Daniel4
still have the old tire planning to see if I can remove all those studs and save them for future use.
maybe with a small tip locking pliers you could grab one & wiggle it out
Old 02-07-23, 05:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Loosing 6 studs is a lot, especially on new tires. It's a good idea to do about a 30 mile ride on bare pavement to set the stud in before venturing out on snow and ice.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-07-23, 06:04 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I bought my Bontrager Gnarwhal tire studless and fully populated the pockets with studs salvaged from worn out marathon winter tires. Hard on the hands.
Likes For gecho:
Old 02-07-23, 08:51 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'll try it in the spring when I don't freeze my fingers.

Update: Feb 9, 2023

It took me about 1.5 hrs to remove all 240 studs from my old tire.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-09-23 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-09-23, 06:34 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
The tool you use to insert them does fine to remove them as well. Just pry them out sideways. They come out easier than they go in.

I just put 504 studs into my 27.5" Dillinger 5s that I removed from my 26" Dillinger 5s. Once you have the hang of it, you can do quite a few in a short time. My hand was pretty sore afterward, though. This is the tool I used.

Likes For UnCruel:
Old 02-10-23, 05:29 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by UnCruel
The tool you use to insert them does fine to remove them as well. Just pry them out sideways. They come out easier than they go in.
I just put 504 studs into my 27.5" Dillinger 5s that I removed from my 26" Dillinger 5s. Once you have the hang of it, you can do quite a few in a short time. My hand was pretty sore afterward, though. This is the tool I used.
oh interesting! I guess that makes sense
that is a lot of work!
Old 02-11-23, 08:35 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Thanks for all of your advice. I haven’t lost many studs, but this shows me my options.
Old 02-18-23, 08:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
The guy who calls himself Shifter says he rides (in Calgary) with a studded front tire and a regular rear tire. Would anyone else do that? If it can only be one tire, sure, it should be the front, but I think I also want good traction in the rear.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-18-23, 09:11 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
It’s easy enough for your rear wheel to go out sideways, especially on rutted packed snow. I would never ride with one studded tire. At my age (71), my bones break easier and take longer to heal.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 02-23-23, 12:35 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The guy who calls himself Shifter says he rides (in Calgary) with a studded front tire and a regular rear tire. Would anyone else do that? If it can only be one tire, sure, it should be the front, but I think I also want good traction in the rear.
This has been relatively common for me, as one of the tire stages as conditions evolve. A bit of sliding in the rear, when the conditions are not yet overwhelming, is just a nuisance, not a major issue. Aside from going intermediate on the tires, an important restructuring of handling winter traction issues was in rewiring the instincts and letting the bike go without clinging to it when a recovery is not possible anymore. The need for studs is then just generally reduced.
Old 02-24-23, 03:52 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I went to put the studded tires on my mountain bike today and noticed the one I had been using in the rear is in rough shape. The rubber has worn down enough that the studs take a real beating from the pavement. The aluminum base probably started making contact with pavement and wore quickly allowing the carbide insert to break off / fall out. There is still what I would call a lot of tread left, but once enough is gone that the studs stick too far out its game over (at least as a rear tire). I used up the last of my harvested studs to fill in the gaps and will use the tire in the front until I replace it. With much less weight on the front wheel it should be good for quite a while.

Likes For gecho:
Old 03-01-23, 05:10 PM
rumrunn6

took the same bike/tires out for a good 2 hr ride in a nearby forest a cpl days ago. rode over wonderful hard compacted snow & ice. got in a about 3 miles on pavement riding to & from the forest, about 10 miles total. lost 2 more studs on the rear. on the front tire, the only casualty was this one that got turned sideways. fixed all three up, easy peasy w/ the tool

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-02-23 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-07-23, 11:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,473 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
This has been relatively common for me, as one of the tire stages as conditions evolve. A bit of sliding in the rear, when the conditions are not yet overwhelming, is just a nuisance, not a major issue. Aside from going intermediate on the tires, an important restructuring of handling winter traction issues was in rewiring the instincts and letting the bike go without clinging to it when a recovery is not possible anymore. The need for studs is then just generally reduced.
Hmm, very good points! I ride gravel on slick tires (because I ride gravel only occasionally), and sure, my rear tire slips, and no, I don’t panic. Thanks for pointing that out. Next time I get the urge to try my studded tires again, I might just put one on the front. Thanks!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.