Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Polling Beliefs about Bicycles on Roads and Sidewalks

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 08:12 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts

There are plenty of anecdotes about people who believe bicycles belong on, or are required to be on, sidewalks and not roads. From this, it seems like a common belief, but how common? Does anyone know of any polling data on this topic, that shows just how prevalent this misconception is? (I guess I'm particularly interested in the US.)
Old 02-11-23, 09:40 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
There are plenty of laws on the books about how bikes do belong on the roads; however, if people continue to show fear in riding on the roads and cyclists remain a very infrequent user of roadways, then more and more people will incorrectly believe that bikes belong off the roads.

Only we cyclists can convince motorists that we are lawful vehicles on the roads, not by words, there are enough words proving this fact.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 02-11-23, 10:01 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
There are plenty of anecdotes about people who believe bicycles belong on, or are required to be on, sidewalks and not roads. From this, it seems like a common belief, but how common? Does anyone know of any polling data on this topic, that shows just how prevalent this misconception is? (I guess I'm particularly interested in the US.)
I forgot to answer the question. I don't know of any polling data and I'm afraid to ask for people's (non-cyclists') opinion this subject.

Old 02-11-23, 10:13 AM
UnCruel 

Originally Posted by work4bike
... and I'm afraid to ask for people's (non-cyclists') opinion this subject.
Yeah, I've thought about asking people I know, but I feel like the people I know wouldn't really be a representative cross section of the American populace. Plus, most of the people I know are aware that I bike, which would tip them off to answer differently than they might otherwise.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 02-11-23, 11:21 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
I ride in Falmouth, MA most weekends during the summer. We have the Shining Sea Bikeway that I use a lot, but it really doesn't go to many destinations that I need. I try to use my bike for all errands when I'm in town, and that involves a few miles of roads. Being a "vacation" type town, there are a lot of people that don't pay all that much attention when driving, or are perpetually lost.
I've been squeezed to the curb in a bike lane more than once, so I tend to keep to the sidewalks on the more-travelled roads. Most town roads are relatively narrow and winding, but sidewalks are prevalent throughout the town. I stop or dismount when approaching pedestrians, and ride on the road for short distances when overtaking them. I'm also not zipping around, most of the time it's a leisurely pace, enjoying the time on the bike.
Pretty sure the law in MA is bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, but no one has said anything to me about it yet.
Old 02-11-23, 11:43 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 829 Posts
My observation: in polls like this how questions are phrased can be just as important as what questions are asked.

In human factors evaluations such as testing a new traffic sign or symbol, open-ended questions such as "what does than sign or symbol mean?" or "what would you do in response to seeing this sign or symbol?" often get more-informative responses than questions with choices or prompts that could be used to shape the received responses.

I haven't looked in TRID to see if a survey similar to what you're asking is on file.

Activism has taken a strong role in cycling research in the US and elsewhere over the past 15+ years, and so it's possible that surveys (depending on desired results) might have questions such as "Knowing that sidewalks are narrow, full of obstructions, and often poorly maintained, do bicyclists belong on them?" or "Knowing that roadways are full of fast-moving cars and trucks with distracted drivers, should bicyclists ride on these roads or instead on sidewalks?" Now there could be good objective surveys out there, but based on my assessment of the current state of activism & research, any study based on surveys should have its assumptions and questions carefully reviewed before using it as a reference.

Disclosure: I'm a former member of the TRB Committee on Bicycle Transportation, and still in the peer review pool for manuscripts assigned to that committee.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-11-23, 11:57 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
...however, if people continue to show fear in riding on the roads and cyclists remain a very infrequent user of roadways, then more and more people will incorrectly believe that bikes belong off the roads.

Do those polls ask pedestrians, specifically, if they agree to have cyclists riding on sidewalks if they don't think cyclists belong on roads?
Old 02-11-23, 12:04 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
If you think a considerable percentage of the population thinks bikes should not be on the roads, but instead, on side-walks, you are talking and listening to the wrong people. Those individuals are part of an extremist sub-set.
Old 02-11-23, 01:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Do those polls ask pedestrians, specifically, if they agree to have cyclists riding on sidewalks if they don't think cyclists belong on roads?
"Those polls" on this subject are imaginary so they ask anything of anybody you wish to imagine and get whatever responses you would like to see.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-11-23, 03:02 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
If you think a considerable percentage of the population thinks bikes should not be on the roads, but instead, on side-walks, you are talking and listening to the wrong people. Those individuals are part of an extremist sub-set.
If the poll allowed them to give an open ended response to where cyclists should be and a considerable number said bike lanes, I'd be surprised and encouraged.
Old 02-11-23, 03:29 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Until we get bicycle safety and law into our drivers education system in this country, there will remain a spectacular breadth of stupidity in our driver's knowledge.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-11-23, 06:07 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
To me it depends on the bike and the speed of the bike.
Kids on bikes on the sidewalk are not a problem, adults on slow moving bikes, same thing.
If you're going over 5 MPH, get in the road.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-11-23, 06:44 PM
UnCruel 

I really have no idea what percentage of the population thinks that, which is what leads me to look for data. However, I am skeptical that they are only an "extremist sub-set". I live in the suburban mid-west, and I feel (but do not know) that it is a prevalent attitude here. Heck, members of this forum, who I had assumed were all in agreement on the matter, are already debating it on this thread, which surprises me, and which I did not intend. You may be right that such attitudes are few, but they receive much attention, because our interactions with them tend to be memorable and often newsworthy.
Old 02-11-23, 07:01 PM
UnCruel 

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Until we get bicycle safety and law into our drivers education system in this country, there will remain a spectacular breadth of stupidity in our driver's knowledge.
Missouri's Driver Guide, which is the study guide offered to people seeking to obtain a new driver's license, has a seven page chapter on "Sharing the Road", about 2˝ pages of which is applicable to bicycles. However, I haven't been subjected to driver's education since the 1980s, and most drivers are in more or less the same situation.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 02-11-23, 09:08 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
I dunno about that. I think it's an extremist sub-set known as "an awful lot of drivers".
Old 02-12-23, 06:06 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
I dunno about that. I think it's an extremist sub-set known as "an awful lot of drivers".
Are there that many mal-adjusted people? I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. The best we can do is stay to the side, there-by being courteous riders of the road. This should prevent any conflict from hot-heads.
Old 02-12-23, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Are there that many mal-adjusted people? I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. The best we can do is stay to the side, there-by being courteous riders of the road. This should prevent any conflict from hot-heads.
Carry that to the extreme, though, and you're increasing your chances of getting right-hooked or doored. When it comes to lane
​​​​​​position, one-size-fits-all-roads is not a method I'm going to use. Most states have standards for when riding to the right is not required or recommended.
Old 02-12-23, 09:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=publ...-wiz-serp#ip=1
Old 02-12-23, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I ride anywhere I am allowed to keep my self safe, or try to any way. Cities ban bike from sidewalk in many places to try to protect pedestrians. But if you look at it logically, a bike rider and a pedestrian are pretty close to the same weight, OTOH forcing bikes into the street puts them out there with 4 or 5 thousand pound cars seem doing 25 to 30 mph seems to me as kind of stupid. The smart thing to do would be in congested areas to limit bike speed.
Old 02-12-23, 11:25 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by rydabent
I ride anywhere I am allowed to keep my self safe,
..., OTOH forcing bikes into the street puts them out there with 4 or 5 thousand pound cars seem doing 25 to 30 mph seems to me as kind of stupid. The smart thing to do would be in congested areas to limit bike speed.
If the area is congested, cyclists won't be able to go very fast either. If drivers don't like me filtering through them at 5km/hr, give me my own protected safe space on the side so I can go faster (or slower) without bothering them.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-12-23 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-23, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
Missouri's Driver Guide, which is the study guide offered to people seeking to obtain a new driver's license, has a seven page chapter on "Sharing the Road", about 2˝ pages of which is applicable to bicycles. However, I haven't been subjected to driver's education since the 1980s, and most drivers are in more or less the same situation.
And I dare say quite a few drivers never took any driver education course. If anything at all more than developing skills for parking and other such for the actual driving test, then it was just the necessary stuff needed to pass the written test. Minimum score is all that is needed.

I'm encouraged though that you say Missouri goes into some detail in their driving guide. Many don't.
Old 02-12-23, 02:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by ralphs
I ride in Falmouth, MA most weekends during the summer. We have the Shining Sea Bikeway that I use a lot, but it really doesn't go to many destinations that I need. I try to use my bike for all errands when I'm in town, and that involves a few miles of roads. Being a "vacation" type town, there are a lot of people that don't pay all that much attention when driving, or are perpetually lost.
I've been squeezed to the curb in a bike lane more than once, so I tend to keep to the sidewalks on the more-travelled roads. Most town roads are relatively narrow and winding, but sidewalks are prevalent throughout the town. I stop or dismount when approaching pedestrians, and ride on the road for short distances when overtaking them. I'm also not zipping around, most of the time it's a leisurely pace, enjoying the time on the bike.
Pretty sure the law in MA is bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, but no one has said anything to me about it yet.
Having ridden in downtown Falmouth on a summer weekend, the biggest issue I remember was having to do track stands in order to keep with the "flow" of traffic.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-13-23, 12:35 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 829 Posts
I ride anywhere I am allowed to keep my self safe, or try to any way. Cities ban bike from sidewalk in many places to try to protect pedestrians. But if you look at it logically, a bike rider and a pedestrian are pretty close to the same weight, OTOH forcing bikes into the street puts them out there with 4 or 5 thousand pound cars seem doing 25 to 30 mph seems to me as kind of stupid. The smart thing to do would be in congested areas to limit bike speed.
There are some significant differences between pedestrians and bicyclists, even if weight is similar. A pedestrian can stop and turn instantly, whereas a bicyclist has a turning radius based on speed (and bike-handling ability) and a stopping distance based on speed and perception-reaction time. A pedestrian's effective field of view is significantly wider due to their low speed and ability to stop instantly and look, whereas a cyclist has a cone of vision that varies with speed. Also, a relaxed cyclist has a travel speed comparable to a very athletic pedestrian, and enters intersections much faster than a typical pedestrian. Given all these factors, a cyclist's travel performance is much more akin to that of a slower vehicle than a fast pedestrian.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-13-23, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
From the standpoint of the pedestrian, you are wrong here.
Even if the weight is identical, the kinetic energy of the bicyclist going 10-15 mph is much higher than the pedestrian going 3-4 mph. Forcing bicyclists to ride at walking speed would be absurd, no one would keep to it. Also, sidewalks are not generally constructed with sightlines when entering in mind. For example, a pedestrian may be emerging from a door that exits directly onto the sidewalk, or stepping out from behind shrubbery. Finally, pedestrians often have strollers, walkers, canes, etc. that make it difficult for them to dodge bicycle traffic. Sidewalks are designed for a walking pace, anything that goes faster is really out of place there.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-13-23, 12:07 PM
UnCruel 

While you guys are debating the laws of physics that apply theoretically, don't forget to check in with reality.

What really happens when a cyclist collides with a pedestrian: someone gets hurt.
What really happens when two pedestrians collide: "Oops. Sorry."

I am honestly surprised that this debate is even taking place here. I thought it was only non-cycling drivers that needed education about the rules of the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.