Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Coverage Will Resume Shortly

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 09:02 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts

I see that on my screen more than I see racing in today's stage of the TdF. Can anyone explain what's going on?

I assumed it was a commercial break for Europe, and Peacock doesn't show those commercials because they don't get paid. Today, there's more crap being broadcast than real-time racing.

I write while they're probably less than 10 KM from the end. I am not happy.
Old 07-07-23, 09:28 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I buy GCN+ annually so that I can watch CX. It annoys me that NBC just got a contract extension of 10 years for TdF. NBC has the advertisers, guess they don't really care if they get the viewers. Surely they don't care to grow the sport.
Old 07-07-23, 12:16 PM
DLBroox

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
The Peacock World Feed is end to end no commercials.

I adored my summer tour watching with Phil and Paul. It’s just not the same with Phil and Bob so I don’t mind the other feed’s guys and absolutely no commercials or other silly breaks with a bunch of old bike racers moving around stupid digital bike riders in the studio!
Likes For DLBroox:
Old 07-07-23, 12:29 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Yeah, but follow the money. NBC gets the contract because they bid the most for it. ASO would be happy to see the sport grow but they award to the best bid, not the development package. Advertisers pay NBC because there are enough viewers for them and they think they're getting bang for the buck. They'd love to grow their presence so they'd would be happy enough to grow the sport if it achieved that end, but that is incidental.

Meanwhile, USA Cycling tasked with growing the sport is getting their lunch money taken by MTB and Gravel.

I didn't see the news about NBC's 10 year contract. 10 sec of Google fu turned up rights through 2029. https://www.nexttv.com/news/nbc-spor...tour-de-france

I buy GCN because it is superior coverage when it goes head to head with NBC, Flo, etc., (via the magic of VPN) as well as because of the breadth of coverage. While I think they are great for the sport, again, they're in it for subscribers not sports development except in a secondary way. BTW, their model is subscription not advertiser-driven. I sure hope the stateless thing doesn't come to an end. I'm talking about VPN access, not Palestinian stuff.

I had hoped the National Cycling League was going to seed some growth more directly, but it seems the wheels may be coming off. https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...ertain-future/
Old 07-07-23, 01:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
The Peacock World Feed is end to end no commercials.
I love the world feed. They seem to have a lot of audio problems. But if it weren't for the world feed, I wouldn't have subscribed to Peacock. OTOH, I have now resolved to dump xfinity.
Old 07-07-23, 01:59 PM
philbob57

What is the Peacock 'world feed'? I've searched but I don't see anything about it. TIA.
Old 07-07-23, 07:20 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
What is the Peacock 'world feed'? I've searched but I don't see anything about it. TIA.
When I go to the "sports" tab and scroll to "Live/upcoming" there's the option for the World Feed next to the standard one. I have the Peacock Premium plan for $5 a month, so I don't know if the World Feed is available without it.
Old 07-08-23, 08:07 AM
philbob57

Thanks very much. I was just clicking on the 1st TdF icon I saw. Very nice of Peacock to send me to the ads. I'm watching the world feed as I write, and I never would have found it without help.
Old 07-08-23, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
don't have Peacock or Disney. disappointed I can't watch it on broadcast TV
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-09-23, 10:28 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Seriously, I'd like to see the Netflix producers take over coverage. They did a great job on the recent series about last year's tour. Obviously Live vs. Post-production is a big difference, but they injected a lot more interesting sub-stories into the series. I like Phil and Bob, but the format is getting stale.
Old 07-10-23, 08:37 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Just watch the replays and keep tapping the fast forward on your remote. Zip past those ads, the silly digital chessboard, and the cheesy Steve Perino segments.
Old 07-10-23, 09:25 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Regarding Peacock, I couldn't tune to Stage 9 nor is it listed in the replays. Is this just me?
Old 07-10-23, 10:55 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
It was there for me this morning, both NBC and World feeds. Am watching it now.
Old 07-10-23, 01:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Xfinity customers can get Peacock for $3 a month for the first 12 months. They didn't promote it very heavily.
Old 07-10-23, 01:56 PM
Extremeengineer

Bikes: 22 Kona Hei Hei CR

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I really miss Paul and Phil, Bob Roll is annoying. I would have preferred Christian stay in the studio, but at least his commentary is intelligent and experience based. I can't stand the Perino fluff, he's like the TMZ provider for the coverage. But I'm sure you can't please everyone, for instance I sort of enjoy the architectural snippets, while I'm sure lots of people are annoyed with those.
Old 07-10-23, 04:59 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Xfinity customers can get Peacock for $3 a month for the first 12 months. They didn't promote it very heavily.
U,

I see a pitch from Xfinity for that deal every time I sign in. It's a good deal if you like what Peacock has, I guess. I subscribed for $9.99 for a month and will cancel after the tour. Outside of the sports that NBC offers, nothing else is very attractive for me.

BTW, there is Peacock Premium and Peacock Premium Plus, but no Peacock Regular.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 07-11-23, 03:30 PM
philbob57

Besides the stupid long breaks on the NBC feed, I have trouble with the crowd noise. I'd like to hear what the announcers have to say, but the crowd noise obscures the announcers. I'm sure CVDV has useful things to say, but I can't distinguish his words. Who makes the decisions on sound?

My hearing is lousy, but I'm streaming the TV sound direct to my pretty-much-top-of-line hearing aids. The sound folks need to cut the volume on everything but what the announcers, interviewers, and interviewees say. I'm happy to forgo the NFL, but bike racing is more important.
Old 07-12-23, 09:30 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Besides the stupid long breaks on the NBC feed, I have trouble with the crowd noise. I'd like to hear what the announcers have to say, but the crowd noise obscures the announcers. I'm sure CVDV has useful things to say, but I can't distinguish his words. Who makes the decisions on sound?

My hearing is lousy, but I'm streaming the TV sound direct to my pretty-much-top-of-line hearing aids. The sound folks need to cut the volume on everything but what the announcers, interviewers, and interviewees say. I'm happy to forgo the NFL, but bike racing is more important.
I have wicked tinnitus in my right ear, I turn captions on for about everything.....
Old 07-12-23, 11:28 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
U,

I see a pitch from Xfinity for that deal every time I sign in. It's a good deal if you like what Peacock has, I guess. I subscribed for $9.99 for a month and will cancel after the tour. Outside of the sports that NBC offers, nothing else is very attractive for me.

BTW, there is Peacock Premium and Peacock Premium Plus, but no Peacock Regular.
we’re already paying too much for our xfinity cable service

reached the tipping point

no espn + no peacock no paramount

so no tour for me