Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is this front rack useful?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 04:09 AM
user1617

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Consider the front racks in this image:

What are they good for?
If I put on it my high school bag it will fall after the first turn.
Any thoughts about it?
Old 11-14-23, 04:31 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Bungees or nylon straps. Without the rack you can attach the bag directly to the handlebar, but that is less convenient because it may interfere with your hand positions and the brake/shifter cables. The rack gives you lots of attachment points for straps or bungees without the interference. Be advised that all bungees are not created equal.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 11-14-23, 09:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Yes front racks are quite useful and you can mount a lot to them typically as DeadGrandpa said with straps or bungee cords. I would recommend the Highland FatStraps or Voile Straps if you want a nylon strap.
Old 11-14-23, 10:10 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
You can also attach a basket or milk crate or whatever to the rack to put your bag in.
Likes For Swampthing:
Old 11-14-23, 02:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I've got one like that on a bike I used for short tours (<week) instead of a front rack/pannier set-up. I strap an Igloo soft-sided cooler on the rack with bungee cords and its worked fine. I sewed a few pockets onto the cooler, side pockets for small stuff and one on the top to use as a map pocket. I also have a rear rack and use a rack-top bag with drop-down side panniers; my size 14 feet don't work well with regular panniers. Both the front 'cooler' and rear rack top bags are easy to take off and put back on.
Old 11-14-23, 06:00 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
I've seen bunji cord nets used. The one shop I worked for had a shop bike with a rack on the front. use it for beer runs. The net worked wonders.
Old 11-14-23, 06:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yeah, you can't just set stuff on it and expect it to stay put. You have to secure it. I agree, that is the absolute worst place to add weight if handing is a concern. However, as a kid I delivered lots of newspapers loaded that way.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-14-23, 07:58 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Do a web search for 'small bungee cargo nets'. Milk crates help too (with the net over them). Still, I agree with Yan about handling, so if you can, shift your loads back.
Old 11-14-23, 09:26 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Its a trade-off for practicality. Mine handles nicely when its not loaded, and with a load its no worse than having front panniers. It works better once you get it up to speed (around 15mph). It doesn't handle perfectly so that you can ride your bicycle with no hands on the handlebars, but I'm very, very rarely doing that anyway.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 11-14-23, 11:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
I have a front rack that can carry panniers high and low, and also has a platform top. I've used it for loaded touring with rear panniers mounted on the fork, plus stuff lashed to the top platform.
I've also used it to hold a Wald 139 basket then put a large size specific bag into the basket for commuting.

Currently, a wide flat platform that attaches to mid-fork eyelets is on the bike. A half height 139 basket is attached and that holds the size specific bag.

None of those 3 setups have made my bike handle like crap. It handles fine unloaded and handles fine loaded.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-22-23 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-23, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The brands that market them would be out of business real quick if they weren't useful. For me they'd have no use as my bicycle is just for recreation and exercise. The bigger question that we can't answer is if they will be useful for anything you do on your bicycle.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-16-23, 06:50 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Same as a rear rack.
Same as a luggage rack on a car.
It is a rack, not a basket.
Old 11-16-23, 12:51 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Depends on the bike too. Some bicycles have an acceptable "ride" with a front rack/basket, and some become a real chore to deal with. A rear rack is even more sensitive to bike choice from my experience.
Old 11-16-23, 01:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have a front rack that can carry panniers high and low, and also has a platform top. I've used it for loaded touring with rear panniers mounted on the fork, plus stuff lashed to the top platform.
I've also used it to hold a Wald 139 basket then put a large size specific bag into the basket for commuting.

Currently, a wide flat platform that attaches to mid-fork eyelets is on the bike. A half height 139 basket is attached and that holds the size specific bag.

None of those 3 setups have made my bike handle like crap. It handles fine unloaded and handles fine loaded.
IKR. During 1999-2000, I rode 10,000 miles with four panniers and something strapped to my top rack. In 1999 it was my sleeping bag for 6,000 miles. In 2000 I did 4,000 with a tent riding up there. (Got a smaller tent in 2000 that could fit up there.

Done plenty of other miles with a sleeping bag on the top rack. Have never had handling problems doing that. Different story with a bundle of firewood over short distances though. But how often does that happen?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
You must be bad at riding bikes.
IKR.

I have only ever toured with a front platform rack. I rarely carry anything on it these days because I have pared down my gear list and bought a water-resistant down bag that compresses down to nearly the size of a football, meaning everything but the tent can fit inside my panniers, but it was not difficult to learn on from the beginning. In fact, before I started my first tour, I did only one 62-mile day ride fully loaded. For my 7th ride, I crossed the North Cascades Highway in the snow.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 02:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR.
My cheapie SS commuter bike came with a front basket -- the kind that mounts to the handlebar and has struts attached under the front wheel nuts, like a Wald basket. Weight rating sticker indicates 5kg max, but I pay that no mind. I've overloaded it a few times, such as with a couple six-packs of beer. With such a load, the bike can easily be ridden one-handed at speed, but slow speeds requires two hands in order to prevent wheel flop. No big deal. As for the claims of poor handling, well, @Yan must think that people are crit racing with twelve packs loaded over their front wheels. He also doesn't seem to know that bikes designed to carry front loads will have geometry designed to handle it -- in fact, even my cheapie bike handles a bit better with a light load in the basket.

Last edited by Koyote; 11-16-23 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-16-23, 06:03 PM
indyfabz

I once rode home about 50 miles during a long weekend trip with a large, blackberry pie duct taped to the top platform.

Before I bought the pie I asked the cute young lady working the register at the roadside stand if she had any duct tape. You should have seen her facial expression.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-16-23, 08:08 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I once rode home about 50 miles during a long weekend trip with a large, blackberry pie duct taped to the top platform.

Before I bought the pie I asked the cute young lady working the register at the roadside stand if she had any duct tape. You should have seen her facial expression.
I rode with a mulberry pie once in Yosemite from a gate into the campground ( a long ride!) but didnt have the rack issue, I put it sideways in a backpack. My " crew" was 3 sheets to the wind ( maybe some mary jane mixed in) so they didn't mind.
Old 11-16-23, 09:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Had a two bikes, one a tandem, fitted with front and rear racks accommodating panniers. Handling was just fine, but when fully loaded with gear, it climbed like dog poop (poopoo), but man it screamed on descents. No poop.

Old 11-17-23, 03:05 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
My cheapie SS commuter bike came with a front basket -- the kind that mounts to the handlebar and has struts attached under the front wheel nuts, like a Wald basket. Weight rating sticker indicates 5kg max, but I pay that no mind. I've overloaded it a few times, such as with a couple six-packs of beer. With such a load, the bike can easily be ridden one-handed at speed, but slow speeds requires two hands in order to prevent wheel flop. No big deal. As for the claims of poor handling, well, @Yan must think that people are crit racing with twelve packs loaded over their front wheels. He also doesn't seem to know that bikes designed to carry front loads will have geometry designed to handle it -- in fact, even my cheapie bike handles a bit better with a light load in the basket.
Today I learned that having wheel flop is considered "better" by some people.

I'm currently, at this very moment, six months into a one year vacation cycling around the world. I've also in the past bicycled across Europe and Asia twice. Racks, panniers, bar bags, frame bags, saddlebags, baskets, trailers, if it exists under the sun, I've tried it. I ride a custom touring bike made to my body measurements by a framebuilder.

I know how heavy loads work on bicycles. Do you?

Last edited by Yan; 11-17-23 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-17-23, 04:33 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Today I learned that having wheel flop is considered "better" by some people.

I'm currently, at this very moment, six months into a one year vacation cycling around the world. I've also in the past bicycled across Europe and Asia twice. Racks, panniers, bar bags, frame bags, saddlebags, baskets, trailers, if it exists under the sun, I've tried it. I ride a custom touring bike made to my body measurements by a framebuilder.

Warning: an immovable object/irresistible force thread digression might be imminent.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-17-23, 09:57 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Zip tie a milk crate to it, no need to mess around with bungees. Front racks handle better than back racks I hear, never used one.
Old 11-17-23, 12:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Then you know how heavy loads work differently, depending on the bike's geometry.
Some bikes ride really well with a rear load. Some bikes suck with a rear load.
Some bikes steer fine with a front load. Some bikes suck with a front load.
Further, where the heavy load is placed also impacts how a bike handles. Weight placed lower tends to be more stable and better than weight placed high. Weight placed closer to the steering axis tends to be more stable and better than weight placed far in front of the steering axis.

You know this since you even mentioned wheel flop- wheel flop isnt a static number among all bikes- it varies depending on a bike's HTA, fork rake, and tire size/width.
Once again, a sweeping generalization by you is pushed back on by many because not all bikes are your bike and not all cyclists have your fears/perceptions.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-17-23, 04:55 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Weight placed closer to the steering axis tends to be more stable and better than weight placed far in front of the steering axis.
Bingo. In engineering this is called moment of inertia.

It doesn't matter what "designed for load carrying" bike you have. You can't get away from physics. The further away your load is from the steering axis, the more force is needed to turn the bars. Propped far in front of the fork is the worse case scenario for this. It massively slows down the speed you can steer! That's why the bike fundamentally handles like dog sh*t before you even get into wheel flop and instability which is a whole other level of problem on top.

The reality is that if you took the exact same amount of weight and experimented between all the different places on the frame you could carry it, stuck on the fork jutting in front of the head tube is by far, by far the worst place for handling.

Now if someone says, "I'm a townie rider, handling is not the highest priority for me", that's a perfectly legitimate viewpoint. But instead you have a bunch of people here (not referring to you) who have apparently made the wrong choice in their lives and are now butt hurt lmao.

I hear some other people saying "I've ridden X number of miles with this setup and I loved it." Yeah, I have no doubt you rode your X number of miles and were in fact fine. I've been with a couple of ugly women at some point in my life, and it was also "fine". Everything still worked, you know what I mean? But fine relative to what? It's a crass analogy, sorry.

Guys, the truth only hurts if you let it hurt you. Reality doesn't care about your feelings.

Last edited by Yan; 11-17-23 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

I've got your moment of inertia right here. HTFU.

Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.