Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long does your DI2 battery last (12 speed groupsets)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How long does your DI2 battery last (12 speed groupsets)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 06:46 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Just got my SLR 7 with Di2. Had Sram before so had no idea about this. Don’t get me started on updates.

I guess mine won’t be getting updated.
He is incorrect as far as 12 speed goes.

No need to mess with the fd wire, the battery has a spare port, mine is in the seat post, pull the post connect a Di2 wire long enough to reach the shifter, roll the hoods back connect the other end of the wire into the shifter port and have at it. Once you are done pull the wire, put the seat post back in tighten the seat post clamp and you are done.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-16-23, 07:03 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco

No need to mess with the fd wire, the battery has a spare port, mine is in the seat post, pull the post connect a Di2 wire long enough to reach the shifter, roll the hoods back connect the other end of the wire into the shifter port and have at it. Once you are done pull the wire, put the seat post back in tighten the seat post clamp and you are done.

Sounds like way too much effort for no reward.

If it shifts fine, what hell am I updating.

Rode my Sram force for 3 years and never updated it. Too many horror stories of people trying and turning it into a paper weight.

It still shifts fine BTW.
Old 12-18-23, 12:47 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco

''No need to mess with the FD wire, just remove the seat post, get your hands messy with carbon paste and connect the port on the battery'' . I wonder which one of these options is faster!

Too much of a hassle for for me. It won't be updated.
Old 12-18-23, 06:32 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I had 10-speed Ultegra Di2 for almost ten years and never updated the firmware. It worked, so I left it well alone! 😂 I have kept my newer 11-speed Di2 firmware up-to-date though, for no particular reason. I'm not even sure what the many firmware updates have added or fixed...

EDIT: Did a search. Firmware update notes can be found here: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/e-tub.../firmware.html
Old 12-19-23, 06:07 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I had 10-speed Ultegra Di2 for almost ten years and never updated the firmware. It worked, so I left it well alone! 😂 I have kept my newer 11-speed Di2 firmware up-to-date though, for no particular reason. I'm not even sure what the many firmware updates have added or fixed...

EDIT: Did a search. Firmware update notes can be found here: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/e-tub.../firmware.html
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this link. I did not have any of the issues outlined so far.

I didn't really update my previous gen DI2 neither. Once a year when I stored my bicycles for winter, I plugged them into my computer and did that. It's a lot easier now with the 12sp Bluetooth connection, but it's still a PITA to update the shifters for some reason. It's probably because they don't have the required hardware integrated in them as a result of an engineering thing or because it's more cost effective.

Last edited by eduskator; 12-19-23 at 06:15 AM.