Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Klein Quantum Race 1997

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Klein Quantum Race 1997

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-24, 09:43 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Klein Quantum Race 1997

My girlfriend picked up a "new" bike a few days ago, got it from the original owner, it has a mavic helium wheelset on it and he added the triple crank, he wore out the original Ultegra brifters and replaced them with Sora, he put a lot of miles on it, but its been kept up decently. There was some spoke noise from the rear wheel and the spoke tension was a bit low, I put it in the truing stand and added a bit more tension and put a tiny drop of oil on the heads of the spokes where it seemed the noise was coming from and the spoke noise is gone.

The paint on this bike is absolutely beautiful!!!

We got out for 20 miles and 1800' last night and a couple of things will need attention, I'll throw a smaller granny ring at it as she's used to a 36/42 low gear, well below 1:1, so 24/28 will be about right, and the brake return springs are quite stiff and will need some attention, I started another thread for that here if anyone has thoughts on that.

Likes For jackbombay:
Old 03-27-24, 10:29 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Looks nice.

I tried to help out a friend of mine with a similar triple by installing a smaller inner chainring, and ended up having to go back to the original one. Some road triple front derailleurs aren't deep enough to handle both a 52ish big ring and a small ring smaller than 30 or so, or bottom out on the chainstay if adjusted lower.
Old 03-27-24, 11:48 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Looks nice.

I tried to help out a friend of mine with a similar triple by installing a smaller inner chainring, and ended up having to go back to the original one. Some road triple front derailleurs aren't deep enough to handle both a 52ish big ring and a small ring smaller than 30 or so, or bottom out on the chainstay if adjusted lower.
I have run into that before, but the cage on this front derr is huge and it should work, but the other issue is whether the rear derr can take up that additional slack, so I might not be able to go quite as low as 24 without a rear derr swap.
Old 03-27-24, 12:26 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Nice bike and the helium wheels are very good value for money.
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-27-24, 12:54 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Looks nice.

... bottom out on the chainstay if adjusted lower.
Don't forget some protection for the chainstay on that beauty.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 03-27-24, 02:47 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Great score.
Old 03-27-24, 03:29 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Excellent! I have a 1986.
Old 03-28-24, 05:28 PM
jackbombay

The Klein got a bit less "Racey" today, GF wanted a taller shorter stem, this moved the bars up about 2" and back about 1.5", this stem is all the way down, so it could come up more. I had another stem that would have put the bars in this same spot, but it would have been just about all the way up, and while I'd prefer to keep the bike closer to the high speed asphalt destroyer its heritage says it is, its also not my bike, and the primary goal is for it to be a bike she wants to ride a lot, and I doubt she'll ever want the bars lower than this so, and will possibly want them higher...

Test ride for her later today and then I'll double wrap the bars... And I found some Ultegra 9 speed brifters in my stuff, they are a bit beat up but work fine, these levers are SUPER SLR and the brakes are SUPER SLR, so the brakes work notably better now, the previous Sora levers were NEW SUPER SLR which reduce braking power for any given input at the lever compared to SUPER SLR paired with SUPER SLR. Also threw on a 24 tooth granny ring, low gear is 24/28 now.

pic,

Old 03-28-24, 07:05 PM
jackbombay

I'm looking around for some new hoods for these Ultegra brifters, they are model # 6510 there are some very expensive NOS on ebay, but I'd love to spend $20 for a pair but... Have these just not been in production for many many years?
Old 03-28-24, 08:39 PM
brokenbezel

Bikes: Trek 370

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a fantastic looking bike. I have always been a fan of the Kleins