Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two wheeled sanity

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Two wheeled sanity

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 09:12 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Two wheeled sanity

OMG, this morning I took the time to take inventory of all the bike stuff I have that is not being used. I knew I had items that I stashed with the idea of using them at a later time, but the shear number of some items is crazy, including quite a bit that I now know I will never use. In fairness to myself, quite a few of the components came off of bikes that I rebuilt with other parts. My worst offenders are tires. I have this thing about buying tire sizes just to try, or because they are on sale. That would be ok if I was actually using them, or knew I was going to use them, soon. However, I counted 31 tires, a mix of used and new, that are presently not on bikes. A few of those do get used when I change tires to fit the ride I am going to be doing that day. A majority of them, 23 and 25mm, are likely to not get used by me, ever. Some of this just comes from my riding style changing to more casual pacing and preference for comfort

I have numerous crank sets, derailleurs, wheels, handlebars, etc. that are just hanging in storage. I have 8 bikes, of which 4 of them get ridden a lot, 2 get some rides, and 2 that are rarely taken out. I really do not like dealing with listing all the stuff, haggling over prices, and dealing with shipping issues. I do live on a fairly busy 2 lane road that most organized rides use on their routes. Also a lot of just regular everyday riders use this road. I think this coming spring, when Bethany Beach has the Beach to Bay bike tour, I will set up in my yard with all my stuff and offer a free water or snack for any purchase, have prices at "set to sell" amounts, and maybe I can move some of it that way. None of it is worth a lot of money, I just do not like having it just sitting, and would rather someone gets use out of the stuff.

Also, I have some items that I am going to list with BF and another bike forum. These will be items that will go for the cost of shipping only, or trade of some kind. Whatever I cannot move that way, we have a local church that runs a bike program for foreign students that come here to work for the summer. I can donate to them. They have not actually been operating through this covid pandemic as there has not been the huge influx of foreign workers. Same with the bike tours, the one or two that took place did not have large numbers of riders. So, much of the above ideas depend on how the pandemic affects this next season.

I guess it is a better problem to have than not being able to get what you need, when you need it. Fortunately, that has not been an issue for me.

ADDED: Make that 33 tires. I just received 35mm, semi-slick GK's to mount on my Poprad. They are replacing the 28mm I had on it. I need to put signs up all over to remind me:
NO MORE UN-NEEDED BIKE STUFF, NO EXCEPTIONS!
Old 12-15-21, 09:49 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Don't fret. Collecting is a very benign form of insanity, it could be so much worse.

And I'm not going to count my rear derailleurs just to make you feel better.
🤪
Old 12-15-21, 12:30 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Just be careful: big tire piles have been known to catch on fire! 😊. Jk.

Otto
Old 12-17-21, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
maybe donate to a bike coop?
Join the Revolution! - Urban Bike Project

btw - in general, I have a weakness for gloves & shoes
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-17-21, 01:23 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Got any 700x32 (or 30, 34) studded tires you’d be willing to sell me cheap?