Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Streaming the Tour from USA

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 10:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts

I subscribe to GCN+ but they are not streaming the tour.

Google tells me my options in USA are Peacock Premium or Flobikes. Monthly charge for Peacock Premium is much lower than Flobikes.

Any reason to do anything other than get a one-month subscription to Peacock Plus??
Old 06-29-23, 11:41 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Just get a VPN like Express VPN - easy peazy?
Old 06-29-23, 11:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Just get a VPN like Express VPN - easy peazy?
Will consider but I am 58 and not experienced with VPNs.
Old 06-29-23, 02:14 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I feel your pain, I'm 67 and would just as soon not learn anything new tech-wise, but a few innovations are worthwhile. I use NordVPN, which is very reliable and easy to use, though there are cheaper options. Our plan is $99/2 years. That'll cover having the VPN app on my desktop, laptop, and iOS devices. I only use it on the latter, though I have tech-savvy friends who have used it for years, on everything, for security and anonymity.

You download the VPN app, set it up with an account, then when you start the app up you see a map and can choose where you want to connect from. For GCN I usually use a UK or NL location. Once that's chosen I start up the GCN app (this is always on my phone or iPad) and everything is available. Then I cast it to our AppleTV and our big Sony TV, where the quality usually holds up very well. There are technical glitches but very very rarely, in fact GCN has tech issues more often than the VPN.

LMK if I can help. Since we got the GCN+/VPN combo we've kind of become addicted to the bike racing coverage.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 06-29-23 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-29-23, 02:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
We use NordVPN, which is very reliable and easy to use, though there are cheaper options. Our plan is $99/2 years. That'll cover having the VPN app on my desktop, laptop, and iOS devices.

LMK if I can help. Since we got the GCN+/VPN combo we've kind of become addicted to the bike racing coverage.
WIll give it a try. The GCN team is not perfect, but certainly better than the NBC/Peacock guys.
Old 06-29-23, 03:29 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'm 62 and very experienced with VPNs (late 90s). If you like VPNs look at Nord and Express VPN is fine too,
But if you can get Peacock (I get it free with my Cable, and my son) - it is easier IMO. VPNs do slow things down and you might forget to turn them off.
Old 06-29-23, 04:21 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
https://www.nbcsports.com/olympic/ne...tream-schedule
Old 06-30-23, 08:50 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Did you transpose 85?

VPN = good. Any of the reputable providers will have paint by number instructions. I pay $5/mo for Strong VPN but there are other options.

The one setup challenge you will have is figuring out where to install and run the VPN. I run the VPN on my laptop, watch the race on the browser, and plug the laptop into the TV by HDMI cable. Keeps the tech very simple and is not too convoluted to manage the physical configuration (I put a wireless mouse on the coffee table). I suggest sticking with that. Follow the instructions to either install the VPN app to your PC, or install the VPN plug-in to your browser (what I typically use with Strong, easy, but not all services offer it).

There are some other configurations: 1) simple install to run VPN on a phone or tablet, watch in the GCN app, and cast to the TV; have to work around the VPN blocking the cast. 2) run VPN on a router so all your devices are behind the VPN, but it only works with some routers and you have to do a more complex install there.
Old 07-01-23, 11:14 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
We already had Peacock, so it was NBD to stream it this morning. We get a reduced rate since our provider is Comcast.
Old 07-01-23, 12:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I don't look at my comcast email much, so I missed the fact that premium was no longer free ... comcast just hit us with a stealth price increase. I tried to buy the new service last night without success, but the process was clear this morning. I have trouble getting up at 7 AM ... I think I'll skip the 5 AM starts.
Old 07-01-23, 12:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
We already had Peacock, so it was NBD to stream it this morning. We get a reduced rate since our provider is Comcast.
We have one directly connected TV and the rest are Roku with an Xfinity plan. Peacock is included in our package. I can get it on the directly connected tv, but on the Roku tvs, it wants me to sign up for a plan.
Old 07-01-23, 01:21 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
We have one directly connected TV and the rest are Roku with an Xfinity plan. Peacock is included in our package. I can get it on the directly connected tv, but on the Roku tvs, it wants me to sign up for a plan.
Peacock *used* to be included with XFinity - that changed about a week or so ago. We primarily use Roku as well, but I sometimes use my laptop as well, and I needed to fiddle a bit yesterday to make sure I was ready to go.

If you you a desktop of some sort and log in, you may have options depending on what your service is. For non-Xfinity customers, I think you could get $4.99/mo with ads, or $9.99/mo without ads. But for us we got it for $2.99/mo since we already have XFinity (and that's for 12 months - after that it goes up to $4.99/mo), but I noted that some people with higher level of service might still get it for free.
Old 07-02-23, 08:47 AM
Brazosbynemo

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I signed up for Peacock premium yesterday for $9.99/mo. Works good and no commercials. At the end of the tour I will cancel it.
Old 07-02-23, 07:39 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
The Peacock International (on the premium subscription) feed is truly without commercials, though they do sidebars which are generally cycle racing things. I think there are some rules with the US feed that forces them to show certain commercials either by dedicated/traditional commercials or split-screen.

But I also have Peacock for EPL, swimming, track & field and other things, so it’s easy to pay the annual fee and get the Tour and Vuelta as part of it.