Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To those in Irma's path

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

To those in Irma's path

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 06:02 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
To those in Irma's path

It obviously looks like we're going to be getting quite a storm over the weekend. I live just north of Orlando and it appears as of today we're expecting up to category 2 winds Sunday-Monday inland with the eye cutting a line straight through the state. I've always been the guy who say's "this ones gonna miss us" but that doesn't appear to be the case this time around. Finally got some plywood last night at Lowe's so I'm boarding up, just wish I hadn't sold that generator a few years back.

This morning, there's no bottled water anywhere and a lot of gas stations are completely sold out of gas but if you keep looking you can get lucky. Publix supermarkets and Costco seems to be the best bet to luck up on water. Don't forget to fill your bathtub just in case you loose water service so you can flush those toilets which after a couple days could be a mess if you forget. They say we could be without power for up to two weeks judging by the size and strength of the storm, hopefully not but we must prepare for the worst. Hunker Down and be Safe!!!
Old 09-08-17, 06:32 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Praying for you guys in FL and above. Amazing track right up the middle of FL....hopefully it will lose some strength before landfall.
Old 09-08-17, 07:06 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I have family in Sanford I'm personally concerned about. Though everyone in the path of Irma has my attention and thoughts. That goes for people hit in the Caribbeans already, and Harvey victims as well. After watching some of the heroic news footage that Harvey produced, I really wish I was in a situation to physically come down and help. I'm helping raise donations at work for Texas currently, and already have plans to do similar for Florida.

Keep in touch Florida. Report in when possible. The more outsiders hear about your strife, the more motivated we are to rally help.
Stay safe.
Old 09-08-17, 07:34 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I live in Tampa. Up until a few days ago this was looking like a non event for us, but now it is play again. I have window covers and trying to decide if it is worth putting up. I think we will be getting 60 mph winds max, which isn't that bad. Saturday will be my go, no go day. I'm somewhat concerned there might be a sudden shift and the winds could be much worse. I really hoping the power doesn't go off. They are estimating 3 million will lose power. I also heard the highways are jammed all the way to the GA border.
Old 09-08-17, 08:05 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
imagine the KOMs you can rack up if the tail wind lines up right
Old 09-08-17, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
It obviously looks like we're going to be getting quite a storm over the weekend
after you board up, why don't you take off?
Old 09-08-17, 08:49 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was fortunate that my brother sent his wife down there Wed afternoon to get her folks out of Cape Coral, they drove up and stayed in GA for a night then moved out to our folks place in AL to ride it out. I have another friend in Punta Gorda and I hope he's going to be ok, he decided early on to ride it out. another friend bailed out of Homestead this morn and is going to ride it out in Cape Coral, hopefully he makes it there before it makes land fall.

gonna be a rough one for them.
Old 09-08-17, 09:41 AM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
House all buttoned up down here in New Port Richey (I hope). At Tampa airport getting ready to board for home in Long Island. Thanks for all for your best wishes and stay safe fellow Floridians.
Old 09-08-17, 11:44 AM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a resident of Houston Texas I truly hope this one misses you.

I live on the North West side of the city and we saw 50 plus inches of rain. The amount of damage is just beyond description. Ike had more wind but nothing destroys like large scale flooding.

You know you should have gathered two of every animal when three days into a storm your used to the sound and sight of motor boats going down your street.

I live inland enough where it just make more sense to ride the storms out. My experience has led me to believe it's safer than trying to leave last minute.

My best wishes go to all of you in Florida. May you be spared what we Houstonians have gone through.

Last edited by ClickClickBoom; 09-08-17 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-08-17, 01:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
My experience has led me to believe it's safer than trying to leave last minute
yup

when hurricane Bob came thru MA, way back whenever ('90 something?), Wifey & I sat on the basement steps cuz we wanted to stay away from the water we were getting down there. only a few inches of water which I pumped out the next day. a woman was killed it her car down the street from our house by a falling tree. we were evacuated from a campsite on Cape Cod & should have gone to a local school shelter out there. driving home just north of the storm after they closed the canal bridge behind us was the dumbest thing I ever did. I took 6A cuz 6 was a parking lot. the CB turned into an emergency broadcasting service, that's how I found out the bridge had closed minutes after we crossed it. Wifey packed her side of the 4Runner w pillows & sleeping bags

back in ('84? '85?) Boston had some hurricane pass by? all Boston windows were duct taped with X's. had an apt w girlfriend on Beacon Hill but we separated & I had a new apt in Lynn. she planned a hurricane party & I drove from Lynn to Boston but I was late & my car was hit by a branch. minor damage & I kept going. we all walked around the waterfront in the wind. it was fun but not fun removing the tape from the windows
Old 09-08-17, 03:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
As a native New Oleanian and current Houstonian I tell you all truly there is no value to staying for a hurricane. We leave days ahead now. We stayed for Harvey, because there was no wind risk and for us very little flood risk. It all worked out well as expected for us but for others not so much. Get out while you can. It is the only sensible plan.

For those caught in the storm, I wish you the best of luck. Come through okay, y'hear. We'll talk about it on the other side.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-08-17, 05:06 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in South Georgia, essentially Jacksonville and it's been a hectic week. Most my neighborhood left already. I was going to go until the shift last night. I had a great ride today and hope to get another one in tomorrow morning. After that the bike will have to sit until next weekend.
I hope everybody fares well.
Old 09-08-17, 07:00 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I live in South Georgia
good luck, you're north so that's good
Old 09-08-17, 07:23 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
My Dad is in Naples and decided to ride it out. Not sure why because he absolutely no reason to stay. Retired, widowed, other than the villa he owns, there is nothing down there for him minus a few friends. Shutters already on the windows as of today. Bathtub full of water already, and always has at least 24-48 bottles of water at all times. Car is full of gas. Took cash out of the ATM already as well. His plan is to watch college football all day Saturday and hope that the power doesn't go out.
Old 09-08-17, 07:44 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Yes, stay safe and be smart.

I do have a question about the shortage of bottled water. Why is there a need for any at all? Can't people just fill up empty bottles and water coolers or fill up with rain water? Just seems silly to have a run on water when every house has running water. So why not just fill up your own while there still is running water?
Old 09-08-17, 08:24 PM
ClickClickBoom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
As a native New Oleanian and current Houstonian I tell you all truly there is no value to staying for a hurricane. We leave days ahead now. We stayed for Harvey, because there was no wind risk and for us very little flood risk. It all worked out well as expected for us but for others not so much. Get out while you can. It is the only sensible plan.

For those caught in the storm, I wish you the best of luck. Come through okay, y'hear. We'll talk about it on the other side.
I've got to disagree. More people died in the Houston area during the Rita evacuation then in Harvey. If you don't live in the 100 year flood zone, near a levee or near the shore then staying is the better choice in Houston.

They don't really know where these tings are going to make landfall. Over 100 people lost there lives in the Houston area for a storm that didn't really hit us.

I've prepped my windows and property. No trees close enough to do damage to the house and have windows boarded up.
Old 09-08-17, 09:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I75 Northbound through Atlanta had much heavier than normal traffic today.

Glad they all came up and my eyes are open for cars with Florida plates whose occupants look like they need a hand or a place to stay.

I also burned half a vacation day today to give blood. I wanted to do something and it seemed like a good enough thing to do.

-Tim-
Old 09-09-17, 12:01 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
imagine the KOMs you can rack up if the tail wind lines up right
This! Though expect a tough ride back home.
Old 09-09-17, 12:20 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach

I do have a question about the shortage of bottled water. Why is there a need for any at all? Can't people just fill up empty bottles and water coolers or fill up with rain water? Just seems silly to have a run on water when every house has running water. So why not just fill up your own while there still is running water?
This was always my thought, too. But when it actually came time to prepare for a hurricane, I filled what I could but didn't have nearly enough sanitary containers to stockpile a two week supply for my family and pets. I like the 2.5 gallon containers for home use, but bottles may be more convenient (and do not require clean and intact cups.)

Be safe, y'all, and we'll see you on the other side.
Old 09-09-17, 01:20 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
My Dad is in Naples and decided to ride it out
may God bless & hope he gets lucky
Old 09-09-17, 01:20 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by TimothyH
burned half a vacation day today to give blood
Old 09-09-17, 05:03 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Yes, stay safe and be smart.

We, like many others down here in Florida get our water from a private well which pumps via an electric motor. No power means no water. For those running city water, chances are they will not have an interruption in service but there's no guarantee. If we get hit hard and there's day's to possibly weeks of cleanup, you'll be looking for those much needed bottles of water while working out in the 90+ heat all day cutting trees and hauling debris.
Old 09-09-17, 08:16 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
A couple of these is a good investment.

Old 09-09-17, 08:40 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put water in everything that can hold it. Household bleach can purify water to make it drinkable, 2 drops per quart. Two weeks without power isn't a thing, Isabel took out our power almost that long and it was a nothing storm compared to Irma, so plan for much longer without power. Become buddies with someone who uses natural gas, those pipelines have a chance of surviving so that buddy may become your source for hot food and hot water. If you have pets gather together their vaccination records and make sure you have evacuation supplies for them too; most grocery stores sell disposable litter trays for cats. After the wind is gone, candles and matches for lights, save the flashlight batteries. Don't centralize your supplies, you never know where the tree will land or what will get damaged from the wind lifting off the roof or the storm surge inundating the pantry.