Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Trek worth repairing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1981 Trek worth repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 08:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
John,
The one piece lugs did not come along until 1984, If I remember correctly.
The one-piece cast lugs came in around 1984, but one-piece bulge-formed lugs were used on some models as early as 1980, when I started with Trek.
Old 12-26-20, 03:03 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Just curious: how big of a jolt would it take to cause a crack like that in steel? I would think the metal would have to be rusted through to crack rather than dent? If rusted through prob lots of other bad spots? No experience with it - no expert here.
Old 12-26-20, 03:56 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Just curious: how big of a jolt would it take to cause a crack like that in steel? I would think the metal would have to be rusted through to crack rather than dent? If rusted through prob lots of other bad spots? No experience with it - no expert here.
Stress crack, no single event needed to cause them. Just time, pressure, and repeated stressing.
Old 12-27-20, 12:36 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The one-piece cast lugs came in around 1984, but one-piece bulge-formed lugs were used on some models as early as 1980, when I started with Trek.
I have a 79 Trek that has the small vent holes inside the head tube indicating traditional construction. Then there's an '88 330 that although it has a head badge and frame sticker proclaiming "Handbuilt in the USA" the serial number indicates the frame was probably made in Taiwan. On this one the holes are bigger, maybe 5/16" X 1/2" with rounded ends. It does look like separate lugs and not like the cast one piece head I remember from an '87 520 I once had. (also visible inside is a seamed head tube) Would this be what you referred to as "bulge-formed" or were the off-shore contractors doing their own thing?
Old 12-27-20, 01:38 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Unless it has sentimental value, I wouldn't. There might not be that many 910's out there, but there are plenty of other Trek 531 frames from that era.
Old 12-27-20, 02:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
I have a 79 Trek that has the small vent holes inside the head tube indicating traditional construction. Then there's an '88 330 that although it has a head badge and frame sticker proclaiming "Handbuilt in the USA" the serial number indicates the frame was probably made in Taiwan. On this one the holes are bigger, maybe 5/16" X 1/2" with rounded ends. It does look like separate lugs and not like the cast one piece head I remember from an '87 520 I once had. (also visible inside is a seamed head tube) Would this be what you referred to as "bulge-formed" or were the off-shore contractors doing their own thing?
I left Trek in 1986, so I'm not as familiar with frame construction after that. I suspect a "made in USA" 1988 frame would use the one-piece cast head tube/head lug, but I can't be certain. The bulge-formed one piece head tube/head lugs had been phased out by 1986.
Old 12-27-20, 02:41 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I left Trek in 1986, so I'm not as familiar with frame construction after that. I suspect a "made in USA" 1988 frame would use the one-piece cast head tube/head lug, but I can't be certain. The bulge-formed one piece head tube/head lugs had been phased out by 1986.
That's just it. I think this frame was made in Taiwan (according to serial number as per Vintage Trek site) They kind skirted around the issue by stating it was "hand built" in the USA. (like the bike build occurred here) I know what the cast head looks like and this doesn't resemble it at all. Plus the openings while different are still small and not wide open. The seamed head tube kind of gives it away too. I was just looking for some verification of what I thought it to be.

Perhaps some of the production was augmented. According to the brochure this was supposed to be DB True Temper RC-1 but no sticker is on the frame other than an American flag with Manufactured in the USA at the bottom.