Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2014 BMC Teammachine (rear derailleur question)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 04:44 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts

Hey guys, I have a BMC road bike and am running a 50/34 with a 11-28 cassette. The groupset is a Dura Ace mechanical 9000 or 9100. I was wondering if that rear derailleur (long cage, I think) will take a 11-32 cassette. I have some steep climbs I'm training on and a few more teeth would be nice to bail to, especially during intervals, and hard climbs. I'm just trying to make sure this is doable before buying the new cassette. Thanks!
Old 04-25-21, 08:24 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Your derailleur is a short cage if it's D/A. They don't make a medium cage D/A, only short. The max cog for the 9100 is 30. The max cog for 9000 is 28. If you have a 9100 derailleur it will probably work...if you have 9000 it might work. Or it might tear the derailleur off the bike when you go big/big.
Old 04-25-21, 08:56 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Thanks for the info, cxwrench! I will not take a chance. I'll look to see if I can maybe use a long-cage Ultegra derailleur. That may let me use a 32 cassette.