Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advent rear derailleur bent hanger

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 06:17 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

9 speed advent derailleur. Goes up to like 42t.
Hanger is bent. Derailleur is kind of expensive so I would like to just replace the hanger.
​​​​
​​​​​​Cannot find it though online.
​​​​​
where to find a replacement hanger?
Old 03-01-23, 06:48 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3528 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,782 Posts
The “cage” is definitely bent. Don’t know about the hanger.

I suspect it isn’t replaceable. If not, try removing it and straightening it in a vice, or find a cheap donor.

Last edited by smd4; 03-01-23 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-01-23, 08:31 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
The hanger is specific to your frame, not your derailleur. But your derailleur cage does look pretty badly twisted in that picture.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-01-23, 09:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 881 Posts
IF the RDER is bent, replace it.
Then worry about a hangar.
https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-han...r-hangers.html
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-01-23, 09:59 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
You won't be able to buy that Derailleur CAGE separately... while straightening the CAGE is possible, doing so perfectly is nearly impossible for an average home "mechanic". ... they are typically NOT perfectly flat when stamped and any deviation from the factory shape will, most likely, cause accelerated wear and/or shifting issues.

Buy a better derailleur.... i'd say a Shimano Alivio or Deore would be a vast improvement over that Advent.... Search "Shimano 9sp. Derailleur" on ebay or your favorite bike parts outlet...Buy a Long Cage Derailleur since that appears to be what you already have..... i'm thinking $35 to $45 should get one to your door.

and remember... SRAM deraillers will NOT Work with your shifter.... they use a different cable pull ratio.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-01-23 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 12:11 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
You won't be able to buy that Derailleur CAGE separately... while straightening the CAGE is possible, doing so perfectly is nearly impossible for an average home "mechanic". ... they are typically NOT perfectly flat when stamped and any deviation from the factory shape will, most likely, cause accelerated wear and/or shifting issues.

Buy a better derailleur.... i'd say a Shimano Alivio or Deore would be a vast improvement over that Advent.... Search "Shimano 9sp. Derailleur" on ebay or your favorite bike parts outlet...Buy a Long Cage Derailleur since that appears to be what you already have..... i'm thinking $35 to $45 should get one to your door.

and remember... SRAM deraillers will NOT Work with your shifter.... they use a different cable pull ratio.
What is wrong with Advent? Seriously? I know people especially those in the industry love to just hate on Microshift because someone said something years ago and it stuck (I have a very ignorant co-worker who loves to bring it up but really has no backing just well uhh I guess shift ratio is different) but Advent is actually decent stuff for being a budget groupset. Microshift does a lot of stuff that bigger manufacturers aren't still doing like downtube and thumb shifters and allowances for mullet drivetrains easily. I am not saying it is XT level good but it is not poor quality. Getting a clutch on the lower end of the price spectrum is pretty nice.

In terms of new derailleurs you will need an Advent derailleur or both shifter and derailleur. Advent is a different pull ratio from both but you might be able to fudge Shimano maybe.

Also should be noted the bike crashed in case someone is blaming Microshift for that cage. (not saying anyone is just making sure) Also one final note I don't currently run Microshift on any current bikes and haven't on any past bikes and am not a fan person just am tired of the tired old B.S. that we spread for no good reason. Yeah they do make Tourney level stuff you know who else actually literally makes Tourney level stuff, Shimano and I really like Shimano because in addition they make XT, XTR, Ultegra and Dura-Ace as well as some other decent mid tier stuff and some cool IGH stuff...
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-02-23, 02:30 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I've used Advent 9, it's great, anybody who tells you different is selling something. You need a replacement Advent derailleur, they're pretty cheap. Get the frame hanger aligned before installing, you grabbed something pretty hard with that cage.
Old 03-02-23, 03:33 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What is wrong with Advent? Seriously? I know people especially those in the industry love to just hate on Microshift because someone said something years ago and it stuck (I have a very ignorant co-worker who loves to bring it up but really has no backing just well uhh I guess shift ratio is different) but Advent is actually decent stuff for being a budget groupset. Microshift does a lot of stuff that bigger manufacturers aren't still doing like downtube and thumb shifters and allowances for mullet drivetrains easily. I am not saying it is XT level good but it is not poor quality. Getting a clutch on the lower end of the price spectrum is pretty nice.

In terms of new derailleurs you will need an Advent derailleur or both shifter and derailleur. Advent is a different pull ratio from both but you might be able to fudge Shimano maybe.

Also should be noted the bike crashed in case someone is blaming Microshift for that cage. (not saying anyone is just making sure) Also one final note I don't currently run Microshift on any current bikes and haven't on any past bikes and am not a fan person just am tired of the tired old B.S. that we spread for no good reason. Yeah they do make Tourney level stuff you know who else actually literally makes Tourney level stuff, Shimano and I really like Shimano because in addition they make XT, XTR, Ultegra and Dura-Ace as well as some other decent mid tier stuff and some cool IGH stuff...
The one i've got here shows minimal cosmetic wear but is already loose at the knuckle pivot. It too had a twisted cage.. I kept it for parts... and i've straightened another advent's cage last summer. That customer opted for a Shimano 10 sp.setup because he'd struggled to keep it tuned... he's brutal on parts... gets new rear rims fairly often, bends seat rails.(ouch!)

As to pull ratio,, i have not bothered trying to tune one because both were shot. They just don't hold up around here. glad you had luck with one on a road bike, or was that on a 'Bent, Joe Remi.
Maybe i'll run into a decent one , but that hasn't happened yet. Both were the early Advent 9.. Maybe the X class and new 9 got upgraded alloys...?

either way... the Original poster still should get a new derailleur. If he tries to straighten the bent one, the Roller screw alignment is hard to get right and most cages are not totally flat....having a straight example is a big help!..The older advent 9's run about $45., the new models are in the 65 dollar range. I use Adjustable wrenches to untwist cages, a good ball peen, punches/drifts, and channel lock pliers when needed. tape the jaws and hammer to save the finishes.

And thank you, Veganbikes, for being honest and admitting you have never had one of these derailleurs around. Do be aware that Crashing is a fairly frequent happening on the Trails. it took One decent crash to bend up the Microshift that got replaced with 10 sp. Deore. the Deore is still on the bike.

Last edited by maddog34; 03-02-23 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 04:16 AM
maddog34

here's a long term test of the Microshift Advent 9 group... and from the look of the images, the Cage has a design flaw.. it's totally flat... flat steel is bendable steel....stamp or roll a ridge into it and rigidity increases dramatically. A roller wore out and the der. tends to eat cables.... add that cable appetite to the stiff spring and.... !
https://mattias.bike/2022/one-year-w...oshift-advent/
Old 03-02-23, 07:37 AM
smd4

here's a long term test of the Microshift Advent 9 group... and from the look of the images, the Cage has a design flaw.. it's totally flat... flat steel is bendable steel....stamp or roll a ridge into it and rigidity increases dramatically. A roller wore out and the der. tends to eat cables.... add that cable appetite to the stiff spring and.... !
https://mattias.bike/2022/one-year-w...oshift-advent/
So...you're trying to denigrate a component group with a review that ends with. "In my case I am very happy with the value for the money of the Advent – and especially its robustness and durability?"
Old 03-02-23, 07:41 AM
smd4

while straightening the CAGE is possible, doing so perfectly is nearly impossible for an average home "mechanic". ... they are typically NOT perfectly flat when stamped and any deviation from the factory shape will, most likely, cause accelerated wear and/or shifting issues.
Nonsense. This isn't a surgical instrument or the high-pressure turbo pump on a Space Shuttle Main Engine. Any home mechanic can get it straight enough to function perfectly.
Old 03-02-23, 09:32 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I've never had a cage bend like that so it probably was microshift being stupid and cutting a corner. I have tried bending it back into shape and it was never really close. Otherwise I was happy with this group set. It had drop bar levers and yet could go up to a 42t cog in the rear.

still, I think it ought to be possible to put a Shimano cage on there? It is such a a simple part.
Old 03-02-23, 10:46 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by adlai
still, I think it ought to be possible to put a Shimano cage on there? It is such a a simple part.
Unless the bolt holes for the pulleys are exactly the same distance apart, then no. And maybe not even then.

Did you take the cage off and try and straighten it? You’re never going to straighten it with it attached to the derailleur and bike.
Old 03-02-23, 02:59 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by adlai
I've never had a cage bend like that so it probably was microshift being stupid and cutting a corner. I have tried bending it back into shape and it was never really close. Otherwise I was happy with this group set. It had drop bar levers and yet could go up to a 42t cog in the rear.

Man I don't know why you're putting yourself through this. It's highly unlikely a different brand's cage is going to fit that derailleur, but you might find somebody (I have a Garbaruk on my SRAM Rival) who makes custom cages for Advents. But piliing up that kinda money for a cage and pulleys is going to be more expensive than a whole new Advent 9 mech.

The bottom line is you caught that sucker on something and it grabbed hard enough to bend the cage and derailleur hanger. These things happen!
Old 03-02-23, 10:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

And thank you, Veganbikes, for being honest and admitting you have never had one of these derailleurs around. Do be aware that Crashing is a fairly frequent happening on the Trails. it took One decent crash to bend up the Microshift that got replaced with 10 sp. Deore. the Deore is still on the bike.
Oh really people still crash? Hahaha of course people crash so far haven't seen any problems come through and we have been selling bikes with Advent for a few years now (I am the warranty manager so all these issues would roll across my desk)

I am not saying that Microshift is perfect and people couldn't have problems they can and I am sure that the stuff happened that happened but to blame Microshift due to a crash. I have seen plenty of Shimano and some SRAM derailleurs in a crash and they didn't fair any better.
Old 03-02-23, 10:25 PM
Joe Remi

Oh really people still crash? Hahaha of course people crash so far haven't seen any problems come through and we have been selling bikes with Advent for a few years now (I am the warranty manager so all these issues would roll across my desk)

I am not saying that Microshift is perfect and people couldn't have problems they can and I am sure that the stuff happened that happened but to blame Microshift due to a crash. I have seen plenty of Shimano and some SRAM derailleurs in a crash and they didn't fair any better.
I was trail riding once and the chain got in some kinda not-good situation and I ripped that Shimano derailleur clean off the bike. Broke below the hanger bolt.
Old 03-02-23, 10:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
I was trail riding once and the chain got in some kinda not-good situation and I ripped that Shimano derailleur clean off the bike. Broke below the hanger bolt.
And it was not a Shimano issue (likely) stuff like that failing during a crash or maybe just poor adjusting or care of a bike isn't on the manufacturer. Stuff happens on a bike sometimes.
Old 03-03-23, 12:15 AM
Joe Remi

And it was not a Shimano issue (likely) stuff like that failing during a crash or maybe just poor adjusting or care of a bike isn't on the manufacturer. Stuff happens on a bike sometimes.
This is what I'm saying. Bike parts hanging off the side of a frame break sometimes. No matter who makes them.
Likes For Joe Remi: