Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Park tools worth it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Park tools worth it

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 05:17 AM
satkin55
Falcon fan

Bikes: Falcon Black Diamond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I reckon so

I have a few Park Tools and a number of cheaper ones.
Best ones I have used so far, the cable cutter. Cuts brake and gear cable inners and outers and inners without crushing or causing fraying, and has a crimper for the ferrules. Works perfectly every time.
Also the crank puller. I removed 2 square tapered cranks that hadn’t been off the BB axle for 40 years
first time with the Park Tool one.
I always choose Park Tool as a preference now when buying bike tools. Slowly building up my collection as I need them.
Old 10-31-20, 05:17 AM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Park now falls short of the quality they used to be. Cyclus or Birzman/Lezyne seem to be a better option now. TIP: Search ebay for NOS Tacx or Park, usually the same price or less than buying current tools but better quality.
Old 10-31-20, 06:38 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My limited experience with Harbor Freight tools are I bought a leak down tester and really only needed it once... it didn't work right out of the box. I saw a HF floor jack not hold pressure and almost drop a car on someone. And the just had a big recall on their jack stands that collapse.

Having a tool break on you can leave you with a broken hand or dead when the car drops on you.

You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"
You need to read the user reviews on the HF web site. Near as I can tell they don't censure them. If a tool sucks the reviews will say so.

Also never get under a car being held up by a floor jack, doesn't matter who made the jack.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 10-31-20 at 06:41 AM.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-31-20, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris!
Title says it all. Are park tools work it for the home mechanic to wrench on a bike from time to time? I've got some park tools and I've purchased some "pro bike tool" tools on Amazon. Seem to work the same... I often feel that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a tools it should at least be made in the US and I can go with something like wolftooth.
Only the very specialize bike tools. Buy common wrenches screwdrivers etc at you local hardware store.
Old 10-31-20, 09:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You need to read the user reviews on the HF web site. Near as I can tell they don't censure them. If a tool sucks the reviews will say so.

Also never get under a car being held up by a floor jack, doesn't matter who made the jack.
FYI:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...ht-jack-stands
"Harbor Freight Tools is recalling more than 1.7 million Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands. The jack stands may collapse under load, which can increase the risk of injury to people near or under a lifted vehicle.

Owners of these jack stands are asked to immediately discontinue use due to safety concerns. Injuries have been reported due to this issue.
"
Old 10-31-20, 09:43 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
The rate of return on many specialized bike tools is very low for me, negative actually. The only ones I have are tire levers and a cassette lock ring socket which was $10. I have normal household tools that suffice.
Old 10-31-20, 09:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
The rate of return on many specialized bike tools is very low for me, negative actually. The only ones I have are tire levers and a cassette lock ring socket which was $10. I have normal household tools that suffice.
I service my 2 bicycles fairly regularly. The money saved by doing it myself along with the time saved dropping it off, waiting for it to be done and going to get it is well worth it. Also knowing it's done right the first time by me is worth it alone.
Old 10-31-20, 11:09 AM
Mulberry20

I service my 2 bicycles fairly regularly. The money saved by doing it myself along with the time saved dropping it off, waiting for it to be done and going to get it is well worth it. Also knowing it's done right the first time by me is worth it alone.
It would be nice. I could put the stand in the kitchen 🤣
Old 10-31-20, 12:13 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Title says it all. Are park tools work it for the home mechanic to wrench on a bike from time to time? I've got some park tools and I've purchased some "pro bike tool" tools on Amazon. Seem to work the same... I often feel that if I'm going to spend a lot of money on a tools it should at least be made in the US and I can go with something like wolftooth.
for bike-specific tools, they’re fine, but I think they’re overpriced if you can get the same tool elsewhere. I’ve heard the phrase “blue surcharge” or “blue tax” in reference to Park. I think the only Park tools I have are a cable cutter, crank puller, chain master link “squeezer” a bike stand and some miscellaneous BB and cassette tools - all perfectly good. Everything else has been from various other sources. I’ve bought a lot from HF, from socket sets to large automotive equipment, including jacks, jack stands (not the recalled ones), engine stand, hoist, compressor and air tools. I’ve rebuilt one car from the ground up, and done major work on another. In general, the HF tools have all worked fine and continue to do so. Power tools are generally Bosch, Hitachi, Porter-Cable and DeWalt. I have a Bauer demolition hammer from HF that’s a beast - goes through rock like butter and cost ~$100 on sale. What’s not to like? The only downside of HF is the sometimes dodgy QC - you run a fair chance of getting a dud, but the return policy is great, so return until you get a good example.

Last edited by Litespud; 10-31-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 12:30 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
My bikes never see the lbs again after I buy them, and most of my work is done in the family room facing the tv. Tile floors come in handy sometimes.

I did get in trouble for cleaning the chain inside the house with orange solvent.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 10-31-20, 01:32 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
My bikes never see the lbs again after I buy them, and most of my work is done in the family room facing the tv. Tile floors come in handy sometimes.

I did get in trouble for cleaning the chain inside the house with orange solvent.
Give’m a whiff of PB Blaster...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 10-31-20, 02:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 10-31-20, 02:15 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
FYI:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...ht-jack-stands
"Harbor Freight Tools is recalling more than 1.7 million Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands. The jack stands may collapse under load, which can increase the risk of injury to people near or under a lifted vehicle.

Owners of these jack stands are asked to immediately discontinue use due to safety concerns. Injuries have been reported due to this issue.
"
yes that was well known. They made good on it. But still, never get under a car held up by a jack no matter who made it.

Read the reviews
Old 10-31-20, 02:53 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Wileyrat

I live in building that was built in 1902 and has landmark status using orange cleaner would get me written up with the CO-OP board. However in the basement the Super has a pretty big work shop. I clean the bike down there.
Old 10-31-20, 03:42 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Some of their tools are quality/value, some not so much, some worthless misses (though they have higher quality version of the same tool in most cases). I have lots of park stuff, bike work stand, truing stand, spanners, etc, but I have other brands where I feel the Park quality/durability is not what I expect, such as Effeto Mariposa torque wrenches, Proto large hex bits, Silca hex wrenches, Enduro BB tool.

I guess I would say if it is not a bike specific tool like hex wrenches, torque wrenches, etc., then there are better choices like Proto, Snap-on, Effeto Mariposa, Silca, etc. that you might consider instead, and there are good bike specific choices as well.

Last edited by GeneO; 10-31-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 06:16 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I guess I'll just continue on my current course of buying bike specific tools from park and continue to buy general tools from hardware stores. Although I've never been one for HF but I do find myself in there from time to time.
Old 10-31-20, 06:59 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I guess I'll just continue on my current course of buying bike specific tools from park and continue to buy general tools from hardware stores. Although I've never been one for HF but I do find myself in there from time to time.
HF has pretty poor quality IME. I have a workbench and ultrasonic cleaner from them, but I wouldn't buy any of their tools.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 10-31-20, 07:54 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
HF has pretty poor quality IME. I have a workbench and ultrasonic cleaner from them, but I wouldn't buy any of their tools.
Bought a cheap 18v 1/4" impact driver (Bauer) from them. Thing has been working fine. I do use Milwaukee bits with it though.

scott s.
Old 11-01-20, 02:00 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 410 Posts
As a former bike mechanic, I say Park tools are excellent. They are well-designed, well-made, and a good value for those who use bike tools regularly. You can get no-name tools very cheaply from places like Amazon, but the quality is hit-and-miss. Some of these cheap tools are made well enough for regular use, and some break the first time you try to use them. A few years ago Park had a tire pump manufactured for them in China, and these were quite bad, half of those sold from a friend’s shop ended up being returned because they stopped working after only an few uses.
Old 11-01-20, 11:50 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For bike specific tools, I've found that Park's prices are competitive enough with other reputable brands, that choosing their stuff won't break the bank. Also, because their stuff is more widespread, it's easier to find information about things like compatibility, e.g., which of the 50 different spline tools will fit my ancient freewheel? And, I don't mind supporting them for the amount of useful tutorial info that they provide.

However, I try to limit the number of bike specific tools that I need, because I'm supporting 3 hobbies (cycling, music, electronics) plus home maintenance and a small business, in a relatively small house. If I were to buy a complete set of "professional" gear for each thing, my house would be full and I'd be bankrupt. Also, truth be told, splurging a bit on a more reliable bike lessens the need for tools that can withstand daily or weekly use, or that shave minutes off of a repair job. Just being able to do your own maintenance shaves a couple hours off each repair job, by not having to schlep your bike somewhere.
Old 11-01-20, 08:12 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I have a variety of tool brands in my bike tools. Park Tools are the majority of the specialized tools; freewheel/freehub tools, crank pullers, and their laser cut spanners for headsets, bottom brackets, etc. Their products are a fair value to quality proposition. Park also stands behind their stuff in a remarkable ( at least for these days) way. They have sent me emplacement parts at no cost a couple of times.
While I have seen and used a couple of VAR tools, their cost and rarity essentially makes them unobtainable for me. I have a few Hozan Tools; they are robustly made. I like Pedros, as well- they seem to have worked on improved designs; their tire levers are a testimonial to that. Pedros also made a threaded “retainer” for securing a Shimano cartridge bottom bracket Tool from slipping out of the splines while in use. Something that should have been included with that type of tool, IMHO. When I needed to replace a long lost Stronglight crank extractor, there was only one option: J.A. Stein Tools. While they are expensive, the quality is superb.
As for Harbor Freight, I find the Taiwan made stuff to be excellent. The wrench sets and sockets are more than enough for bicycle work. The Mainland Chinese made stuff varies in quality, but is superb for making modified tools or special tools like an cotter extractor for cottered crank sets.
Indeed, I find myself creating modified tools for various projects now. A thinned out Park cone wrench that fits the Cones in the full ball bearing Pulleys of a vintage Huret Jubilee derailleur or a specially ground cone wrench for Sturmey Archer IGH work.
On a recent thread about cable housing and cable cutters, I suggested an electrical tool sourced from Home Depot. I find that the bicycle intended tools In this category are neither the best for the job nor the cheapest cost option. But I am really a weekend warrior, not someone who is using these tools day in and day out. I suspect that were I in that position, I would be looking at VAR and Stein and Park Tool’s professional grade stuff more.
Old 11-02-20, 12:12 PM
TMcDan78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Park, meh...

IMO Park are a bit hit and miss. I want my tools to be portable for when I take cycling vacations....which is all of them, amiright! They're stuff is meant for shops, which means its heavy and overbuilt. I've switched a lot of stuff over to Feedback because it's more portable - they often do multi-use tools, which reduces space and weight. Plus, their stands have proven amazing, so assuming my tools will last just as long.
Old 11-02-20, 12:17 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Yes. Are Snap-On tools worth it? Also yes.
That’s a matter of opinion. I have drawers of Williams ratchets, sockets, and wrenches. They make those tools for Snap-On then put their own name on them and sell them for a third of the price. They’re indistinguishable. Japanese and German screwdrivers put Snap-On to shame. They last forever and actually fit.
Old 11-02-20, 12:21 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Cyclus

Cyclus makes nice tools also. Made in Germany, the European alternative to Park. Biketoolsetc.com carries them.
Old 11-02-20, 01:05 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I'm in the hit and miss camp. I wouldn't part with my Park Tools pedal wrench, or chain stretch checker.. But my Park Tools bench stand is a first rate POS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.