Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Center Pull cable Lug Stuck In caliper

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 08:50 PM
Cratecruncher

Bikes: '71 Italvega Nuovo Record, '10 Optima Baron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts

I recently purchased a pair of Universal Model 61 calipers off feeBay for a restoration project.

The calipers look pretty nice with no sign of trauma but I can't seem to get one of the lugs to budge. So far I've tried penetrating oil and a heat gun. Using needle nose pliers at the base of the cable I can't get the lug to rotate. I feel if I could get the cable lined up with the slot I can tap it out with a drift. Before I take it to the drill press I thought I'd ask the community. Though I've been doing my own cars and motorcycles for years this is my first bicycle since I was a kid.
Old 12-03-21, 09:46 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Make sure the slot the cable moves in is not crimped and restricting the cable's movement. I've seen that before.
Old 12-03-21, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I have seen plenty of center pull caliper arm end holes, for the straddle cable ends to fit in, that have a piece broken off. Likely from someone trying to remove the cable end and finding out how brittle some older Al parts can be. If you must try tapping the end do so with the hole's outer surround on the bottom. The other side's split surround is especially easy to bend. Also the cable end will have the steel cable strands balled up in the end button's casting. A drill will tend to drift about some when it contacts those strands.

I might try clamping the button end in a vice, trapped between two "anvils" that only touch the button end and not the caliper arm hole. This way the efforts to get the button end to loosen and rotate slightly in the arm's hole is not stressing the cable or the arm. Andy
Old 12-03-21, 10:24 PM
Cratecruncher

Thanks for the replies guys. It helps a lot! The caliper arm doesn't have any signs of damage and the slot is exactly the same as the other. The cable is free to move back and forth in the slot. It appears as though the lug is just too big for the hole. The idea of capturing the lug in a vice is interesting. My only concern is making the lug even bigger by smooshing it. It looks like the lug is cast aluminum and I really dread drilling in to a tootsie roll with a hard center! I will practice drilling on the free lug and see if it's even possible. If I can make a hole I can tap a bolt thread. If I can screw in a bolt I can get a wrench on it. If the tap breaks...
Old 12-03-21, 11:24 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I read your post as the cable button end (the lug) was frozen in the arm's hole as in not even spinning. Given my new understanding I suggest continuing to work/rotate the cable button end within the arm's hole until you cant stand it then with the complete ring side of the hole against a hole drilled through some non marring material (hard wood?) to accept the button end and start pressing before any tapping. Andy
Old 12-04-21, 03:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
have you tried any penetrating fluids yet?
Old 12-04-21, 08:26 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
You could also try driving a drywall screw into the cable end so you have something to lean on when giving it muscle.
Old 12-04-21, 09:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have seen plenty of center pull caliper arm end holes, for the straddle cable ends to fit in, that have a piece broken off. Likely from someone trying to remove the cable end and finding out how brittle some older Al parts can be.
That is particularly true for those old Universal calipers, which I suspect were cast rather than forged.
Old 12-06-21, 10:15 AM
Cratecruncher

Originally Posted by thumpism
You could also try driving a drywall screw into the cable end so you have something to lean on when giving it muscle.
Yes, this is my altered plan of attack before risking buggering up an expensive tap. I'll start with a good quality sheet metal screw and vice grips. The risk here is that the fastener snaps off or it's cone-shape expands the lug (button) making it even tighter in the bore. The button looks like it's cast aluminum and inspection under some magnification reveals it cracked and that is why it is too big for the hole. I guess the good news is it didn't fail catastrophically approaching a busy intersection!
Old 12-06-21, 03:43 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Cratecruncher - The Caliper is cast and will not bend but will break. Do your work gently.
Old 12-06-21, 04:17 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
If the caliper is steel and the cable end aluminum, caustic soda.
Old 12-09-21, 04:31 PM
Cratecruncher

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I wanted to update the thread with my results. I started a dimple in the center of the button with a sharp nail, then enlarged it with a hand drill and tiny bit on both sides. Next I used the drill press to drill down into the button from each side using a cheapo 1/8" twist drill. The surfaces of the button flaked away - very brittle stuff. Once through the center I just flexed the wire back and forth and the button continued to crumble. Just after the photos wer taken I took one final tug on the last wire strand still holding and the rest of the button shattered into 100 tiny pieces. The caliper cleaned up real nice and is ready for 1000 more miles of faithful service.

The moral of the story is that these old center-pull cables seldom get replaced when people do a cable job. But they are a critical part of the brake function and need to be inspected and replaced if there's any doubt. The surface of the stuck button was marbled with tiny flake-like cracks in the metal and was way past it's expiration date. The new caliper will be replacing the Weinmann 610 on my Italvega Nuovo Record so it matches all the other brake hardware that came on the bike. I have a thread going HERE if anyone is interested.
Old 12-09-21, 06:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Great follow up! Andy