Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB removal for 1983 vintage Miyata made bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB removal for 1983 vintage Miyata made bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-21, 08:08 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
In lieu of an impact wrench, since I don't have one, I use a dead-blow hammer on my breaker bar. A heat gun on the shell often helps too.

And don't waste time with WD-40. It's not a penetrant.
Old 11-20-21, 12:29 AM
s128

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am learning much from everybody, no worry from me about digressions.

I did wonder if a bit of heat might be helpful. I'll check out a penetrant in lieu of wd40. I do have liquid wrench already, am reading about others.
Old 11-20-21, 08:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by s128
I am learning much from everybody, no worry from me about digressions.

I did wonder if a bit of heat might be helpful. I'll check out a penetrant in lieu of wd40. I do have liquid wrench already, am reading about others.
If the Liquid Wrench doesn't work "Kano Kroil Oil" is one of the best for this or you could make your own by mixing Automatic Transmission Fluid with Acetone 50/50 which works just as well.
Old 11-20-21, 09:55 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
DO NOT USE an Impact wrench. It shouldn't be to tight, especially if they are aluminum.. if they are steel then they might be rusted in place (but they don't look like it) but still should not require an impact wrench. When facing the respective side, drive side loosens clockwise, non-drive side loosens counter clockwise.
This, in my experience with a Phil BB, is why you do not need two Phil tools. You would be pulling both of in the same direction. Simply line up your wrench with either the down tube or the chain stay and use that tube to counteract the wrench. Phil BBs are not supposed to be hammered down that tight anyway. I know anything can happen though. Pretty sure they specify blue Locktite and a low torque value, I just don't remember the torque spec. And Phil cups are stainless steel, so yes, if they are not installed with grease/soft locktite and torqued down til the cows come home, they could well be permanently seized.
Old 11-20-21, 10:05 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
People at times will need 2 tools when doing the install on French or Italian threadings. I would think a single tool on English threaded would be fine for removing and install.

Note, Phil cups can be aluminum also.
Old 12-09-21, 10:25 PM
s128

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got the BB off - followup

I received the Phil removal tool. It is 29.97max diam, 26.38spline valley diameter.
Used Kroil as reccommended. Thanks to all.
Socket wrench with 22mm socket. Breaker bar (3ft 1" pipe) was needed. Didnt need to force tool against BB as some youtubers suggest, the Phil tool in my case was pretty secure.
Found Phil BB inside. Some rust inside BB shell but nothing i didnt expect. Cleaning and such on the agenda.
BB itself i just might try to reuse, runs freer now it is out of its shell. Maybe torqued too tight?
Old 12-09-21, 10:40 PM
s128

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Other side

I still need to get the drive side off but will do in the light of day tomorrow. Shouldnt be any more difficult, penetrant can now be applied to threads from each side.
Old 12-09-21, 10:45 PM
s128

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still am unable to post pics of the phil tool but i did put some in my album.
Old 12-09-21, 10:50 PM
s128

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BB removal tool pics

I suspect I can now post pics in this thread and will try now. Then future searcher can see side by side the two bb removal tools.
18 spline Phil tool on right. Comparing with 20 spline BBT-22 parktool.

Edge on so you can see spline profile and count. Phil tool on top, BBT-22 below.