Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

From Alfine 8 to Kindernay XIV - thru axle to solid, verify chainline

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-23, 07:52 PM
mattkime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Bullitt cargo bike with an Alfine 8 internal gear hub and a gates carbon belt. I'd like to switch it over to a Kindernay XIV with a belt. The kindernay comes with a 12mm thru-axle which I'd prefer to convert (somehow) to a solid axle. The dropouts on the bullitt keep tension with the belt. I could switch to a thru-axle dropout but then I'd need a tensioner for the belt.

Chainline - Kindernay says its 45.5mm. Its been harder to find info on the Alfine 8 igh and crank buuuuut I did find 42.7mm referenced in a couple of places. The crank is model number FC-S501. Seems like a spacer might be worthwhile - https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Ho...BB-Spacer-18mm

Anyone have experience in these matters? Once I get this squared away I can get on with the build.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-04-23, 10:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
So are you saying they sell a thru-axle drop out because that is what you would need to run a thru-axle hub. Otherwise find a hub that does QR or Bolt-On and the 135mm spacing you need. If they don't sell one, Rohloff is a solid reliable bet for bolt on or QR (I have one of their QR hubs as we speak). In terms of chainline I have never worried about that on any bike ever. I would check with Gates and your hub manufacturer and see what they recommend if it is giving you issues, if not I wouldn't worry about it.

If they do sell a Thru-axle dropout for a bike that runs belt driven IGHs then there has got to be a way to tension the belt without a tensioner. You will potentially want a snubber for the belt to prevent it from coming off but I would doubt they wouldn't sell something that can give tension. You don't need much movement once you get the cog and belt length situation figured out but usually they have a little bit of movement somehow.
Old 03-04-23, 10:57 PM
mattkime

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So are you saying they sell a thru-axle drop out because that is what you would need to run a thru-axle hub.
Kindernay is only available in thru axle. Bullitt does sell thru axle rear dropouts - https://www.larryvsharry.com/da/drop...vsh_model=5706 and pics -
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Otherwise find a hub that does QR or Bolt-On and the 135mm spacing you need. If they don't sell one, Rohloff is a solid reliable bet for bolt on or QR (I have one of their QR hubs as we speak). In terms of chainline I have never worried about that on any bike ever. I would check with Gates and your hub manufacturer and see what they recommend if it is giving you issues, if not I wouldn't worry about it.
Perhaps conversion to quick release is really what I was looking for https://www.amazon.com/VeloFuze-Cycl.../dp/B07GNWRBJM

If they do sell a Thru-axle dropout for a bike that runs belt driven IGHs then there has got to be a way to tension the belt without a tensioner. You will potentially want a snubber for the belt to prevent it from coming off but I would doubt they wouldn't sell something that can give tension. You don't need much movement once you get the cog and belt length situation figured out but usually they have a little bit of movement somehow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403894703029 - although I'd like to be a bit more confident that this would do the job.
Old 03-04-23, 11:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would check with LvsH but it does look like possibly there is some movement but that could be my eyes deceiving me and maybe they are fixed plates.

No.. Don't do any odd conversions it is just not needed. The whole point of Kindernay was a Thru-axle Rohloff basically but Rohloff is a way better platform in your case as it is a known reliable system with good support behind it and ease of finding parts. I like Kindernay and am all for them and hope they continue and grow exponentially but they have zero advantage if needing to be converted to QR. Now if the bike was set up for sliding thru-axle dropouts and it was Rohloff vs Kindernay., I would say Kindernay all the way no question, Rohloff doesn't do a proper thru-axle set up they do an adapter for their old reliable hub but it isn't technically thru-axle just potentially compatible with the dropouts.

I have the snubber on my bike and have had zero issues with it aside from it once getting a little squeaky but that was solved with a regreasing and zero issues since and if I found a sealed bearing of the same size or very close and a way to bolt it on that would end that potentially issue. It is not really going to do a whole lot in the end unless somehow the belt comes loose which is tough.
Old 03-05-23, 07:03 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
From the Kindernay site "Three available versions: 135/10, 142/12, 148/12"
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 04-14-23, 04:44 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
From the Kindernay site "Three available versions: 135/10, 142/12, 148/12"
Yes, it's the same hub just with different axles. The 135/10 uses a 10 mm QR thru bolt axle, which is unusual, but fits any standard 135 frame afaik. In terms of holding the wheel securely in horisontal dropouts (forward-facing) or track ends (rear facing) my guess is that the 10 mm QR is somewhere between a 5 mm QR and a solid threaded axle with nuts.
Old 04-14-23, 08:49 PM
Macguyver909

Bikes: '56 Raleigh sports, 70's Raleigh International

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
Well, not experience in you particular application, but I did just build a belt drive rohloff set up. So here is what i know.

Gates is VERY specific in the requirements for the belt set up to work. I think it was .012" inch of radial (roundy round) run out and .040" of axial (side to side) runout. With a max offset of 1mm (.040") They have charts available on their website with the Alfine * specs. Alfine 8 is either 43.7 or 45.5 mm. page 58 of 82 in the Gates tech manual.

That being said, even though I used high quality cranks, (Sugino RD2 track) and genuine gates sprockets, I still had to indicate, and tap the front sprocket around on the crank spider for radial runout. And for axial runout I had to shim the crank bolts. (bought pre made circular shims from Mcmaster Carr) Figuring out the beltline was the single most difficult part of the whole build. I researched very carefully the sprockets, the offsets, DI2 front, and narrow rear, there is also some offset built into the gates sprockets that is shown on the blueprints portions of their documents. These are important.

IF you have a square taper bottom bracket, it IS appropriate/possible to shim the drive side cups further out from the BB a mm or two. Remember that square taper BB are available in different lengths and this can be used for belt line adjustments also.

Although it was a yelping female dog to get set up, I really like it now. I'll give a durability review in about 10 years or so....