Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Build thread: 1974 Masi Gran Criterium

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 10:48 PM
heidelbergensis 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 46 Posts

So, to be honest, I have several "irons in the fire" at the moment - and by that, I mean ethereal bike-shaped vortices for throwing my paychecks into. My wife and I are also moving to Germany in August, and are very close to the "frantically throwing things overboard" phase of our move. For those of you that may have been following the items I have for sale in the classifieds, expect further discounts imminently, along with a drastic purging of my parts bin.

Anyway, in terms of the aforementioned vortices, there's the custom 650b all-season all-road project I'm working on with Stephen Bilenky, which I recently paid off. That's still very much "ethereal" as we also recently changed up the parameters and the previous frame drawing went out the window. A little more physical, however, is my Eisentraut Limited Touring, which I'm currently having resto-modded by Harvest Cycles here in Brooklyn, who amazingly have a nascent frame repair and paint operation in their basement. Their operation is very old school and kind of a wonder to find in 2023, especially not in a way that is insufferable and hipstery, but just a group of unprepossessing people dedicated to keeping old bikes on the road. They are just up Myrtle Avenue from Johnny Coast's workshop, who is making some of the most exquisite frames of any kind anywhere at the moment, in my opinion. Johnny is a great guy, and the rehabilitation of the Eisentraut was definitely inspired by the beautiful randonneurs he builds, which were themselves inspired by Eisentraut and Bruce Gordon as much as they were by French constructeurs like Alex Singer and Jo Routens. I just got the Eisentraut after the "modding" part was completed by the guys at Harvest and executed a very preliminary test build this past weekend before the frameset goes to paint:

The frame and fork were in rough shape when I acquired them several years ago. Clearly, this 'trout had led a long life on the road. The fit was nevertheless amazing and I knew immediately that I wanted to have it both repainted and personalized/modified for usability (this point will become relevant in a moment). Being a product of its time, the frameset lacked braze-ons for everything but the RD cable stop and cable guides on the BB. I do plan on making a thread for the Eisentraut this week with pictures of the process as well as the operation over at Harvest, as well as going more into my reservations for "butchering" the frameset and ultimately why I decided to proceed.

Anyway, needless to say, I have explicitly forbidden myself from making any purchases not directly connected to either of these projects, and was very much focused on the Eisentraut this weekend. But then I saw this on eBay:

A 1974 Carlsbad-built Masi Gran Criterium in my size - perhaps my number one grail bike. Sure, I see these listed all the time - and then sigh internally when I see the asking price. If I have had the privilege of owning some amazing bikes in the past, it's been the result of persistent internet sleuthing to find those online diamond-in-the-rough barn finds. Still, gone are the days like when, in 2012, I snagged a low-mile Colnago Master X-Light with full DA-7700 from a widow who was liquidating her late husband's bikes and was happy to take $350 for it. I've had maybe a dozen scores like that. BUT - this listing was set to an auction with a starting price of $400 - what was the deal?? The pics looked amazing:

amazing lugwork

The frameset had the lusty jaw-dropping twin plate fork crown. It was my size. I even liked the paint! The serial number on the BB also indicated that this was from 1974 and thus relatively early in the startup California production when Masi Sr. was still overseeing the operation. However, the astute Masi-aficionados out there will note that this frame has a whole complement of braze-ons that aren't original - cable guides on the TT, shifter bosses on the DT and a second set of water bottle bosses on the ST. The text of the listing was revealing here:

Alas, so there was a bit of a catch here...

But even so, I found the Masi appealing to me even more - here's a frameset that has been repaired and modified and would be perfect for a daily rider with a modern(ish) Campy gruppo to replace my current daily frameset (1982 KHS Professional) which is slightly too big for me and lacks a second set of water bottle cages. I contacted the seller, who is a wonderful collector just looking to thin his herd somewhat. He also felt no qualms, given the condition and history of this frameset, to have the rear dropouts respaced to 130mm and running modern components. We agreed on a reasonable shipped price, and bingo, I now have 3-4 days to either sell some Scheiße or come up with an impressive story for how yet another frameset has appeared in our apartment.

I'm ultimately not too worried about the steerer for now - unless I should be?? I'd also be interested in whether there are any indicators that the crash repair may have been conducted in period by Masi USA.

Anyway, I hope this has been edifying so far! I'll leave the story there until tomorrow, when I'll go into build plans!

Last edited by heidelbergensis; 06-19-23 at 11:07 PM.
Likes For heidelbergensis:
Old 06-20-23, 02:17 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by heidelbergensis
The serial number on the BB also indicated that this was from 1974 and thus relatively early in the startup California production when Masi Sr. was still overseeing the operation. However, the astute Masi-aficionados out there will note that this frame has a whole complement of braze-ons that aren't original - cable guides on the TT, shifter bosses on the DT and a second set of water bottle bosses on the ST.
I'm curious about this "whole complement of braze-ons that aren't original. I've also got a 1974 California Masi GC with non-original paint and at least some braze-ons that shouldn't be there. Like you (I'm guessing), I surveyed the available information, looked at numerous other Masis from the period and drew similar conclusions about what would have been there originally, but since then I've read a few things suggesting that when you ordered a bike from Masi California you had the option of specifying certain extras. I think it's entirely possible that all of your braze-ons came from the factory.

Here are some pictures of my Masi for comparison.

(Yes, I'm also the sort of heretic who puts index components on a '74 Masi!)

Before I installed the indexed components, obviously

I'm pretty sure that's not original!

So you and I both have brazed on shifter bosses, two sets of water bottle bosses, and top tube cable guides. The metal bits for these are fairly standard, but the top tube guides are at least consistent between our bikes.

The fact that the crack extends beyond the hole that was drilled to stop it would worry me a bit, but I don't know enough about these things to say if that's likely to be a problem.
Old 06-20-23, 08:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The braze-ons, seat tube bosses, down tube shifters and definitely the top tube cable guides, and the under the bottom bracket cable routing - not original.

why? When these bikes were built, all within the first 200, keeping in mind that the first 25 had a different size and numbering format, Masi was pushing to get bikes out the door.
initial production was late, no time to waste, especially with custom bits.
demand was strong.
‘it would take over a year till the “off menu” add ons were known.
as to the top tube cable guides, those are Silva design bits, they were a 1978 at the earliest component. Did not exist in 1974.

the Silver frame has a decently faithful repaint.
I happen to like the all painted fork on the white bike, other than I would pick out the region between the plates.
‘I had a Masi repainted in Spring 1975 at the plant and requested only retain the chrome on the ends.
a very practical reason, I often trained along PCH, it was a bunch of work to maintain the chrome.
I did have downtube shifter bosses added, $15. Extra. Done for ease of maintanence.
‘unfortunately that bike was stolen in Sept. 1976.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-20-23, 09:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I’m trying to get my (1978?) Gran Criterium on the road. Like you guys, mine is rescued from eBay purchased “as-is” frame only with no fork. I’m not trying to keep it period correct. Instead I hope to have a versatile endurance road rider that can handle hilly club rides.

The fork is a 1” threaded Kestrel carbon fiber fork. It is limited to a 25mm max tire width. If I do get a full restoration I may commission Franklin Cycles in Ohio to build me a proper “biplane” fork crown fork in the same metallic silver with royal blue accent color.

My drivetrain is Ultegra 6600/6603/6600GS components with a KCNC bling hardware kit. The rear triangle was spear to 130mm by the previous owner. Not sure about frame alignment though. And one rear dropout adjuster is broke off & I cannot get it out. The polished Velocity Major Tom tubulars look trick but to me are not gaudy on this resto-modded build. The black accented Ritchey WCS seatpost and Specialized headset I think look good in an appropriate California custom sort of way.
Likes For masi61:
Old 06-20-23, 09:22 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
(Yes, I'm also the sort of heretic who puts index components on a '74 Masi!) .
It's fine, they shift much better. Taking some liberties with a bike like this is entirely acceptable in my view. This one is an italian build, 74, and never fails to bring a smile. I've owned it since '78. Sorry about the camo bar tape.

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-20-23, 09:50 AM
heidelbergensis 

Andy_K Thanks for sharing your GC! I, too, love the all-white repaint and the tasteful Campy build. My plan for the silver Masi is either a 10sp Chorus build with indexed Campy TT shifters converted to DT use (my current daily has this set up) or Athena 11sp with brifters. And yeah, your frame has definitely been modified at some point. While I'm no expert, I have done a fair amount of research over the years on this particular generation/iteration of Masi (and also looked at just about every picture I could find of these early GCs) and have never seen those cable stops routed under the BB. But, ultimately, I'm not really a purist when it comes to these things. Whatever "modification" will make a frameset or bike more usable for your desired ends is well worth pursuing. Obviously, there's a limit here to what degree of alteration is justifiable, and which is determined by taste and respect for the intent of the original makers - and these are virtues that not everyone has now, or has had over the intervening decades. The modifications on these Masis enhance their usability without altering their inherent character, IMHO. Personally, I'm excited to get my hands on a GC that has these slight modernizations and is not 100% original - that means I can ride the hell out of it every day and not feel like it should be sitting indoors immaculately restored wearing a period-correct Nuovo Record gruppo.

repechage Very sorry for your loss, I wonder where all those bikes ended up? Surely they must still be out there. Do you still have the serial number on hand? Also, as someone who actually had a frame/fork restored by Masi USA around that time, are there any indications that the repair/mods on the silver GC might have been undertaken by Masi? I definitely plan on having the guys at Harvest look at the fork steerer and get their opinion on its integrity. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here!

Last edited by heidelbergensis; 06-20-23 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-20-23, 09:58 AM
heidelbergensis 

masi61 Loving your Masi build so far - totally agree, whatever gets (and keeps) it back out on the road! Very interesting to see that your frame has similar mods and also decal set and paint. Also wholeheartedly endorse the plan for getting a new fork made.

mpetry912 You have a beautiful GC, sir! That's my dream - to have a bike that long and build a relationship with it over years and decades and eras of one's own life. Unfortunately, bikes and frames don't seem to last much longer than a year in my pile - though I'm hoping that will change with this current crop I've got coming in!
Old 06-20-23, 11:15 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The braze-ons, seat tube bosses, down tube shifters and definitely the top tube cable guides, and the under the bottom bracket cable routing - not original.

why? When these bikes were built, all within the first 200, keeping in mind that the first 25 had a different size and numbering format, Masi was pushing to get bikes out the door.
initial production was late, no time to waste, especially with custom bits.
demand was strong.
‘it would take over a year till the “off menu” add ons were known.
as to the top tube cable guides, those are Silva design bits, they were a 1978 at the earliest component. Did not exist in 1974.
You make a very convincing case, especially with regard to when the cable guides appeared in the market. I guess I'm back to believing that most of the braze-ons on my bike are later additions. It's kind of odd that they would have taken the trouble to switch the cable routing from over the bottom bracket to under. I've got several bikes built each way and I really don't see much advantage to going under the bottom bracket. Maybe the owner was just following the latest trends at the time the updates were done?

While I'm no expert, I have done a fair amount of research over the years on this particular generation/iteration of Masi (and also looked at just about every picture I could find of these early GCs) and have never seen those cable stops routed under the BB.
This thread prompted me to look at some more Masi bottom brackets last night. The particular style of under the BB routing on my bike does seem to have been common on Masis but not until the 1980's. I guess that's another clue as to when mine was modified. The pump peg on the front lug not withstanding, the modifications all seem to have been very cleanly done, as do yours. Small blessings!

The thing I was looking for last night was information on the additional markings on the bottom bracket. On mine, I've got an 'E' a '7?" and a couple of other marks that aren't necessarily letters at all. I'm guessing the '7' is the first digit in the seat tube angle. The others...who knows. I see several such markings on your bottom bracket too, but can't quite make them out. I wasn't able to find any information about what these other markings might mean. It could be that the explanation is lost to history.
Old 06-20-23, 01:03 PM
repechage

The middle and later 1980’s under the bottom bracket guides were cast in. They had fully moved away from the Fischer sand cast shells.

those +GF+ parts required lots of hand filing to the shorelines, windows and surface. Sturdy and labor intensive.
Old 06-21-23, 11:55 AM
heidelbergensis 

The Masi is en route! Coming via BikeFlights from Idaho, so not sure when to expect it. Can't remember the last time I was this excited to get something in the mail!
Old 06-23-23, 09:26 AM
heidelbergensis 

Considering the crack that's quasi-arrested in the steerer tube, I'm considering upping the sacrilege here with this build and using one of these new Innicycle threadless conversion kits. I've been curious about these since I first heard about them last year, and this Masi project might be the perfect excuse to place an order for one.

What's cool about these is that it's also a headset assembly, and the adapter threads directly onto the existing fork steerer. The expanding plug in the steerer also applies pressure evenly as it expands, from what I understand, which could theoretically not further aggravate the crack.
Old 06-23-23, 09:52 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Considering the crack that's quasi-arrested in the steerer tube, I'm considering upping the sacrilege here with this build and using one of these new Innicycle threadless conversion kits. I've been curious about these since I first heard about them last year, and this Masi project might be the perfect excuse to place an order for one.

What's cool about these is that it's also a headset assembly, and the adapter threads directly onto the existing fork steerer. The expanding plug in the steerer also applies pressure evenly as it expands, from what I understand, which could theoretically not further aggravate the crack.
Generally I prefer the way a quill stem feels but in your case I think that the kit is maybe a good idea.
Old 06-23-23, 10:06 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts

This will not look right on a Masi IMO.

A Technomic could put the wedge well below the bottom of the crack.

And being a Masi could/should also warrant a new steerer and all it entails.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-23-23, 10:09 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

And I wish they made the opposite of this so a threadless could be switched to quill.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-23-23, 10:25 AM
heidelbergensis 

merziac Hahahah, I knew this thought would cause a few boxer shorts to bunch! Right there with you on the overall impropriety of this solution, but it would be a stopgap and of course is not permanent! If I do end up liking the frameset, I would definitely get the steerer replaced and even move towards a full period-correct restoration at some point. Though, I think with the overall resto-mod direction of the build so far, pairing this adapter with a level thin-tubed steel stem and a thin handlebar would look/work great. Personally, I really hate 31.8 diameter bars.
Old 06-23-23, 10:39 AM
merziac

I get it but the Technomic would still solve the whole problem quickly, easily, cheaper and completely, right now, for now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-23-23, 10:53 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by merziac
I get it but the Technomic would still solve the whole problem quickly, easily, cheaper and completely, right now, for now.
And technomics are easy to come by.
Old 06-23-23, 11:34 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Generally I prefer the way a quill stem feels but in your case I think that the kit is maybe a good idea.
I know this is C&V but really?

My understanding steerer tubes are fairly easily replaced. Perhaps get a quote from a local builder.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-23-23, 11:45 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by masi61
I’m trying to get my (1978?) Gran Criterium on the road. Like you guys, mine is rescued from eBay purchased “as-is” frame only with no fork. I’m not trying to keep it period correct. Instead I hope to have a versatile endurance road rider that can handle hilly club rides.

The fork is a 1” threaded Kestrel carbon fiber fork. It is limited to a 25mm max tire width. If I do get a full restoration I may commission Franklin Cycles in Ohio to build me a proper “biplane” fork crown fork in the same metallic silver with royal blue accent color.

My drivetrain is Ultegra 6600/6603/6600GS components with a KCNC bling hardware kit. The rear triangle was spear to 130mm by the previous owner. Not sure about frame alignment though. And one rear dropout adjuster is broke off & I cannot get it out. The polished Velocity Major Tom tubulars look trick but to me are not gaudy on this resto-modded build. The black accented Ritchey WCS seatpost and Specialized headset I think look good in an appropriate California custom sort of way.
1978 is too early, short dropouts did not arrive at Masi till late 1980 or 1981, took years to use up the initial inventory. Serial number should decode the build date by this point. The Henry James head lugs, under the bottom bracket cable routing points to 1983 or later. Also, the recessed brake attachment. The installed fork crown seat to axle is probably too long, raising the top tube.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-23-23, 11:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
It's kind of odd that they would have taken the trouble to switch the cable routing from over the bottom bracket to under. I've got several bikes built each way and I really don't see much advantage to going under the bottom bracket. Maybe the owner was just following the latest trends at the time the updates were done?
The only advantage is if there are no cable stops to begin with. It's obviously easier to drill and tape a thread in the BB than to braze on two guides on top. Changing them for style, or possibly to match Masi's standard method is a personal choice.

When I'm adding BB cable guides I just follow where the cable stop is on the chain stays, especially if the rear triangle is chromed. If it's an older frame with a clamped on rear derailleur cable stop, I drill and tap the BB and use a plastic cable guide, as it's easier and I don't know of an advantage to put them on top, unless someone specifically asks for top mount.
Old 06-23-23, 11:50 AM
repechage

I would initially build it up with the fork as is, just lower the stem or bury a technomic to be clear of the repair. At some point address it and have it replaced.
the fork has a lot of threading, Uncommon, Masi had enough threading but not excessive beyond. One could have the new steerer longer to allow for 5-10mm of a spacer.
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-23-23, 11:54 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I know this is C&V but really?

My understanding steerer tubes are fairly easily replaced. Perhaps get a quote from a local builder.
What did I say wrong? Sorry if I offended someone.
Old 06-23-23, 12:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Easy? Depends on who you're asking. I've replaced maybe 6-8 steerers, I've got it down to maybe 2-3 hours of work.

A full replacement requires repaint. If you're concerned about matching paint, a full repaint of frame and fork, which can get very expensive.

I'd prefer just to graft on a new section to save the fork crown finish, but I haven't tried that yet. A TIG weld is probably the easiest way to go, but I don't TIG. A local builder might be able to do that, but forks are small enough to ship relatively inexpensively if you can find a someone to splace it.
Old 06-23-23, 12:52 PM
repechage

I think Mikkelsen in Alameda Ca has done a number of steerer repairs.
‘both full and grafted
Old 06-23-23, 01:25 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Very easy to splice on (and in) a new top half of steerer tube. Can even be a used fork as a suitable donor.

Some pointers from a certified welder:

Press on your favorite crown race. Make no attempt to ever consider removing it again.

Essentially, choose your cut, below where the stem wedge bolt will be.

Make clean and flat on top, by hand is as good as anything.

Measure and cut appropriate amount from other fork, leaving a bit extra.

I almost forgot, find a piece of 7/8 inch OD tubing. (easy to do) 22.2mm = 7/8 to make a sleeve 2 inches is plenty.

Press sleeve into bottom, and weld all around.

Using best practices, machine grafted top in lathe for bevel and appropriate length.

Press new top steerer onto sleeve, triple check the overall length that I forgot to tell you to write down.

Weld all around using best practices.

DO NOT CLEAN UP WELD.

The OD will be too large to remove crown race, but who cares?

If you are super diligent I suppose you could add a rosette or two, but not really necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.