Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steertube/ stem spacer between headset and stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-05, 06:29 PM
vaccineman
Professional Student

Bikes: novara express; basso zer0.9 frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could spend $7 plus shipping and tax for a carbon spacer/shim to place between stem and headset, but I'm betting there are more practical and resourceful ways to fill this gap than spending the 1000% mark-up on a piece of plastic. My steer tube is 1 and 1/8 inches in diameter. Any ideas? I could probably purchase an 8-foot section of carbon tube for the same price if I knew the original source, then slice it into 20 mm bits to sell (just like the retail guys).

Take care,
VM
Old 04-19-05, 06:59 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vaccineman
I could spend $7 plus shipping and tax for a carbon spacer/shim to place between stem and headset, but I'm betting there are more practical and resourceful ways to fill this gap than spending the 1000% mark-up on a piece of plastic. My steer tube is 1 and 1/8 inches in diameter. Any ideas? I could probably purchase an 8-foot section of carbon tube for the same price if I knew the original source, then slice it into 20 mm bits to sell (just like the retail guys).

Take care,
VM
Well, CF isn't plastic, but a cheap azz could probably scrounge something suitable.Try trolling around wallymart or HD if your time is worth nothing.LBS probably has one for even less than the $7+
Old 04-19-05, 07:01 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone have a source for 1-1/8" spacers in larger than 20mm?
Old 04-19-05, 08:36 PM
Trogon

Bikes: 14 road, 1 SS, 2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go find an LBS and pay $1 for one in black anondized aluminum.
Old 04-19-05, 09:03 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trogon
Go find an LBS and pay $1 for one in black anondized aluminum.
The largest I've seen at any of my LBSs are 20mm ones. Do your local shops have larger ones?
Old 04-19-05, 09:13 PM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can get 'em up to 40 mm in carbon or alu; something in a 40 is something of a rare bird and will be closer to the $7 you originally mentioned
Old 04-19-05, 10:00 PM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can buy 2024 aluminum tube by the foot. This one should work for you:

https://onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm...owunits=inches

It is about 14 bux per foot, but is very strong stuff. You'll need a good way to cut it perfectly flat, but you can have any length you want! They'll even do custom cuts for you if you, too (though you pay a premium for that, a 1.5" piece is about 2.50$ for instance).

Unless you have a very special need, it probably makes sense to go with a cheap standard spacer from the LBS. I'd only make my own if I had some very bizarre situation I was dealing with.

peace,
sam
Old 04-19-05, 11:34 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not an especially special need, but I'm running probably 120mm or so of spacers at the moment, and would like to make that out of as few spacers as possible to minimize the wiggle.

Waldo - what's your source?
Old 04-19-05, 11:55 PM
potus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could probably purchase an 8-foot section of carbon tube for the same price if I knew the original source, then slice it into 20 mm bits to sell (just like the retail guys).
CF tube is kinda hard to get. it comes up from time to time on the framebulder's list. I think the mfg's are afraid to sell to the little guys.
Old 04-20-05, 03:34 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Any decent bike shop should have some spares left over from builds. You may try asking if you have a friendly LBS.
Old 04-20-05, 06:00 AM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jim-bob
It's not an especially special need, but I'm running probably 120mm or so of spacers at the moment, and would like to make that out of as few spacers as possible to minimize the wiggle.

Waldo - what's your source?
QBP, Olympic Supply, and a couple other distributors, hence most any shop can get them. Wheels Manufacturing makes a 40 mm in either carbon or aluminum; I don't know of any other manufacturers that do off-hand, but I'm sure someone will chime in if there are other sources.
Old 04-20-05, 11:33 AM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are running 12cm of spacer?? Wow, thats a lot! Maybe it would make sense to make custom one, to prevent yourself from having to run THREE 40mm spacers. If you've already ruled out conventional solutions like high rise stems or bars, then I'd say buy a foot of aluminum and cut your own! That onlinemetals.com place I linked above will cut you 4.75 inches (12cm) of the tube for 8ish bucks plus shipping, or you could buy a foot for about 14$, or a 'random' length between 10" and 12" for 10$ (probably your best deal). It would be unfinished aluminum, but that 2024 alloy is aerospace buff stuff, and very lightweight for its strength, I'd have no qualms using it as a spacer. Just deburr well, polish the outside for looks, and rock your mondo spacer. It would weigh about 106 grams, not too bad.

I'm not sure where to buy composite tubing raw, at least not in those dimensions. If anyone finds a place, let me know, I maintain a bit of a list of places that will sell to hobbyists, since you never know when you might need a li'l somethin somethin for your project.

peace,
sam
Old 04-21-05, 05:07 AM
vaccineman
Professional Student

Bikes: novara express; basso zer0.9 frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could do it through this shop with three 40mm spacers. I bought two- perhaps like you, I'm not as comfortable in the drops unless my seat and handlebars are about level.

https://stores.ebay.com/Bicycle-Supply
Old 04-21-05, 06:28 AM
Waldo
Zippy Engineer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could do it through this shop with three 40mm spacers. I bought two- perhaps like you, I'm not as comfortable in the drops unless my seat and handlebars are about level.
https://stores.ebay.com/Bicycle-Supply
So you're suggesting that he pay $1 more per spacer than he would at the LBS, plus shipping?
Old 04-21-05, 06:57 AM
capsicum
Evil Genius

Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why use spacers at all? Oh wait threadless is where it's at now. ha ha ha suckers.